OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

handloading vs commercial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/03/2019 at 17:08
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

So all this is a preface to telling us that you've changed your mind late in the game and have decided to forgo the lengthy process of reloading and just spend all the saved time on another pursuit... 

Not at all... there are times, in the wee hours of morning, when everyone, even the cats, is asleep and I'm tired of reading, that I can load stuff... 
I'm just exploring "how and why"... and I know I'm only at the "easy" part of it now... "it gets bumpy from here".  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2019 at 01:35
Case dimensions do affect pressure a lot. I once loaded some max loads in a thicker wall casings then my standard cases I use (read smaller internal capacity). In my stupidity I did not reduce the powder.
As the day progressed and the temperature started rising I started having problems and  blowing primers and stuck cases. Not a pretty sight.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2019 at 06:00
LOL, sounds like me after Taco night...... Shocked  Whistling
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/04/2019 at 19:00
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

LOL, sounds like me after Taco night...... Shocked  Whistling
Or, from what I'm told...pizza night, or spaghetti night, or enchilada night, or chili night, and so on, and so on, and so on...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2019 at 02:31
And all that noise has nothing to do with thicker wall casings....
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2019 at 08:13
Although it does increase the back pressure..... Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2019 at 08:33
Are you happy with the Peterson brass? Comparable to Lapua? 

I don’t weigh cases or bullets. It’s NOT a waste of time though. Besides the heavier brass having smaller case capacity, it may also cause you to have inconsistent neck tension if the thicker brass is in that area. 

I DO clean primer pockets. On new brass, I uniform all the primer pockets. K&N makes a tool you can put in your cordless drill for doing that. 
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2019 at 09:20
And that's where I became totally disenchanted with Fiocchi loaded ammo.  Worse brass I've ever seen!
over 30% of Primer channels were obviously off center to the naked eye.  They put a hurting on my primer extractor too...  SO YES I definitely sort and inspect my brass!!!
--Thomas Jefferson

Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/05/2019 at 10:37
I find loading my own ammo relaxing. You take a bunch of metal components, and assemble them into something useful. Or to load bullets that you can't find loaded in ammo locally, or available online. 

Then head to the range, shoot them, and see how they do. If you like that, and you use it for hunting, then to the woods to see how they do. 

The sad part for me, is I have found a factory load that does what I want, and then the next box of it, not so much. The best example of that was 7-08, Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip. It has always been accurate, but the first box dropped deer with devastating results. The next box, not so much. 

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/06/2019 at 07:39
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Are you happy with the Peterson brass? Comparable to Lapua? 

I don’t weigh cases or bullets. It’s NOT a waste of time though. Besides the heavier brass having smaller case capacity, it may also cause you to have inconsistent neck tension if the thicker brass is in that area. 

I DO clean primer pockets. On new brass, I uniform all the primer pockets. K&N makes a tool you can put in your cordless drill for doing that. 

Have not loaded any, yet... just have done the background work.  CERTAINLY like what I see so far. 
I've been concentrating on .300 H&H Magnum... Peterson did not have any in stock when I was looking.  The cases I'm working right now for .300 H&H are R-P.  They are looking pretty good, but velocities are coming out low for the "manual recommended" loads.  Consistent, but low.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/13/2019 at 20:50
As stated before, Winchester 1885 High Wall, .300 H&H Magnum, 28 inch barrel, 230 grain Berger Hybrid, right now using R-P brass, with 215 primers.  At 65 grains H4831, average velocity is 2607fps... Berger load data for 24 inch barrel says 2610fps for 63 grains H4831 (which they list as MAX load... however, others list 67grains as MAX and I"m seeing zero pressure signs).  Accuracy is great, precision is great.  In a step function, I moved up to 66.25 grains... Berger says .  2647 fps, still accurate and precise.  I think I'm going to move back to 65.0 grains and stay there.  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2019 at 19:40
I'm working on it... I'm slow.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2019 at 05:15
We just thought you fell asleep in your old age....
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/18/2019 at 16:57
WHEN can you say you've EVER known me to "just fall asleep???"... hhmmmmmm???

I'm having to relearn things I never expected or really wanted to.

tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2019 at 08:23
The velocity your getting seems reasonable to me. Berger is likely testing loads with a custom barrel and a more precise chrono than the average person has access to. I’ve compared my chronograph to other people’s and gotten as much as 150 FPS difference. To me, getting consistent velocity is more important than getting high velocity.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2019 at 12:02

The velocity your getting seems reasonable to me. Berger is likely testing loads with a custom barrel and a more precise chrono than the average person has access to. I’ve compared my chronograph to other people’s and gotten as much as 150 FPS difference. To me, getting consistent velocity is more important than getting high velocity.

I use two chronos... MagnetoSpeed and LabRadar... they are very close on everything else I've tried.  Big difference to me is 24 inch barrel (load data) vs 28 inch barrel (my rifle) with larger powder load.  Just not making sense to me right now.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/20/2019 at 13:09

Just tried 3 rounds (yes, I know, small set, but thunderstorm moving in) with the MagnetoSpeed at 65.5gr H4831.  2674, 2668, 2674.  ES 6, SD 2.45(approx, rounded up), under 1 MOA.  I can do better, I was in a hurry shooting because it was starting to rain.  However, I'm MUCH happier with what I'm seeing for velocity and spread... maybe I've not really broken in the barrel, yet...  
I'm going to drop the load back to 65.0 grains.  If accuracy is as good or better, I will stay there.  

Thank you for your advice... it's been great to make me spin the mental gears.  Truly appreciated.  I'll need more...

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2019 at 10:18
Did some shooting with hand loaded .338 Lapua, 300gr Accubonds, 94gr Retumbo.  avg 2825 fps out of my 30 inch barrel (custom .338).  Last five rounds I fired from different positions, different angles, merely checking accuracy.  0.510 MOA at 100, measured center to center with an iGaging OriginCal American made digital caliper.  
However, I did not load these rounds... Brandon (BigDaddy) did.  All I did was reseat them at 3.60 inch COAL (Max for my magazines).  Moving around from shot to shot, using a Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod stand for "stability" (it is good enough and provides some stability for hunting-type shooting... it is DEFINITELY NOT "benchrest quality"), I'm very pleased with the 0.510MOA 5-shot grouping.  
Thank you, Brandon... gives me a target accuracy to shoot for... get it???

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2019 at 10:54
would have been bench-rest accuracy but you had to go and seat them in some. I understand why. try single loading 5 and do the same test and see if it changes any.. you know for testing reasons.

what jump did you seat them into?

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/01/2019 at 13:34
Brando, the Caldwell Deadshot Fieldpod is not benchrest quality... it doesn't totally suck as a rest (actually better than I remember from the last time I used it) but is not exactly what one would define as "stable".  The ammo certainly is benchrest quality.  Under the conditions I subjected it to, I'm highly impressed.  Just think if I was shooting it "single shot" from a solid rest...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic