OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New hunting rig recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New hunting rig recommendation
    Posted: May/18/2019 at 13:00
I'm saving  up for a new rig.  Wil prob collect  it all over next 2-3 years hopefully.  But I wanna decide what I want so I can buy with sales hopefully.

Primary use will be deer  and pigs.  Woods to 400 yards.  16-20" 308 or 6 5.  308 has better bullet selection, but 65 has  better external ballistics.   Originally I wa leaning  towards 3,-12or 4-16 ..im leaning to a lpvo.. I'm pretty well set  on a Q thunder chicken for the supressor. , maybe full  Nelson. 

These are things im currently leaning  towards.  
 Rifle:
Tiika t3x ctr  good barrel size for hunting for.  Not a pencil barrel fan. , but would need  a stock  replacement. 
Bergara  heavy  barrel.sonid probably  want to cut to 16"  to save weight.  And I believe takes all Remmy parts.

Scopea. Even harder decision.  
Right now  my top interest are the new edtech 1-8. And the meopta  1-6 with either red dot or diotrech reticle. Both are new  and unproven.   I'd like a mil based reticle over bdc. 
Right now im just collecting ideas, but I'd like to have a plan  so when I find a good deal I can buy 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 16:10
If you can stretch your budget that far, Q's The Fix with a 16" 308 barrel is just the ticket.  Since you plan to use their suppressor, I figured I should throw this out there.  I have The Fix and I am a big fan, partially because of how light it is.  It is hard to get that light with a chassis gun, without resorting to a lot of carbon fiber components like Chistensen does.  16" Fix is all metal and their short barrel is a smooth taper, so it is not at all a pencil barrel.  There is a lot of metal where you need it, toward the chamber.

Still, even if you add a chassis, you will save some money with Tikka or Bergara.  Both are good and will work well for you.

Given what you want to do, I am not sure if there is really a good need for 1x. On the other hand, just a little more objective lens will go a long way in terms of low light performance.  A comparatively inexpensive Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 or something along those lines will give you notably better low light with a lower weight than almost any 1-6x24 or 1-8x24 scope out there.

If you are willing to go a little bigger, Meopta Meostar 1.5-6x42 is a very underrated scope especially as the light gets low.

ILya
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 18:33
I didn't didn't  know vortex  made that scope.  . I like the priceand the reticle  of the vortex.  I actually have  a meopta meopro  3-9 a razor ii 3-18x50.  Do you know where  those two scopes fall on relation.  I think I'd prob lean  towards the meostar if I could get the funds. 

I would love to have a fix. Its a very purpose built.    But I think wife might stab me in my sleep if i dropped that much at once.  Otherwise I would

What about caliber and length.? 16" handiness 20" for mv. 308 has better barrel life,  and bullets selections.  6.5   he's in flight advantage. Primary  will be deer and n pigs.  But I hope one day to draw an elk tag. 

Thanks koshin always nice to get wise opinions,
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 18:49
Originally posted by GiantGreg GiantGreg wrote:

I didn't didn't  know vortex  made that scope.  . I like the priceand the reticle  of the vortex.  I actually have  a meopta meopro  3-9 a razor ii 3-18x50.  Do you know where  those two scopes fall on relation.  I think I'd prob lean  towards the meostar if I could get the funds. 

I would love to have a fix. Its a very purpose built.    But I think wife might stab me in my sleep if i dropped that much at once.  Otherwise I would

What about caliber and length.? 16" handiness 20" for mv. 308 has better barrel life,  and bullets selections.  6.5   he's in flight advantage. Primary  will be deer and n pigs.  But I hope one day to draw an elk tag. 

Thanks koshin always nice to get wise opinions,

Vortex is discontinuing that model (1.5-8x32) which is why the prices right now are very good.  Once they are gone, they are gone.  I am thinking of picking another one up myself.  

I am glad you liked the G4 reticle.  I sketched it up for Vortex originally, so I am quite partial to it.

Optically, Razor HD LH is broadly similar to the MeoPro except with a larger magnification range and lower weight.

On barrel length and caliber: for shooting inside of 400 yards, go with the 308.  6.5CM has a trajectory advantage, but it really only becomes noticeable at longer distances.  Inside of 400 yards, it is a moot point.  308, on the other hand, is a little more efficient with shorter barrels and you can use a bigger bullet which will come in handy if you need to shoot something substantial, like an elk at some point.  Given that you will be running a suppressor, I'd go with a 16" barrel.

My Fix has a 24" 308 Proof barrel right now, but I also have a 16" Bartlein 308 barrel it originally came with.  That 16" barrel was impressively handy.

ILya 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 23:53
I have a tikka ctr i use for hunting. I like it a lot. I put a manners stock on it and a leupold vx-5hd 2-10x.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2019 at 00:01
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2019 at 17:41
How much of  an optical upgrade does the meostar  offer to the meopro?  Is the  illum day light visible?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2019 at 17:45
Tikka in the compact tactical rifle sounds like a nice choice. I would probably go .308 but that is based primarily on not wanting to load another caliber when I already load for .308

My Tikka is a 300 WSM stainless with a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with rapid Z800 and it will stomp anything in the woods  and is one of my favorite rifles to carry, but only 3 rounds in the mag, and the cost of their cheap ass plastic mags is outrageous.  If I could change anything about my rifle it would be adding a higher capacity mag. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/19/2019 at 19:19
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Tikka in the compact tactical rifle sounds like a nice choice. I would probably go .308 but that is based primarily on not wanting to load another caliber when I already load for .308

My Tikka is a 300 WSM stainless with a Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with rapid Z800 and it will stomp anything in the woods  and is one of my favorite rifles to carry, but only 3 rounds in the mag, and the cost of their cheap ass plastic mags is outrageous.  If I could change anything about my rifle it would be adding a higher capacity mag. 

You BRUTE...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2019 at 10:30
What's opinion on full Nelson  vs thunder chicken  supressor.  Full Nelson is cheaper and quieter,  but the  thread  are on front  of taper.   Thunder  chicken more expensive , but uses a mount.  And has threads behind the taper. 
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2019 at 14:10
I looked around found some articles on rifle shooter.com. And ran some numbers on my ballistic calculator. A 16 “ 308vs 6.5 drop is about the same  308 has more energy, but 6.5 wins in the wind.  Hmm tough call.  Less wind = higher hit %. I don’t  take a shots i a don’t feel comfortable with. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2019 at 14:57
Yep  they make 5 round mags in several calibers but mine is 3 rounds. The tactical comes with a 10 round mag but even the 5 round mags look like a lot of ammo when you have 3.   Seriously how hard would it be they are plastic and cost a fortune.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GiantGreg View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GiantGreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2019 at 16:52
well the ctr has a 10 round.  And I'd prob eventually  swap over to a McMillan or something similar.  Carbon fiber hopefully 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic