OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Jeff Cooper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeff Cooper
    Posted: September/26/2006 at 10:58
  It is my understanding that Jeff Cooper died yesterday near noon time.  I got to meet him some years ago.  The live and in person version was even better than the books and colums.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2006 at 12:37
That is very sad news indeed.  I enjoyed reading his works and I am a big fan of his scout rifle concept.

ILya
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2006 at 17:11

Colonel Jeff Cooper had a keen mind, and remarkable powers of observation.  He spoke the truth boldly.  I always respected his opinions, even when I didn't agree with them.  This man certainly deserves a salute and farewell.  We need more like him.

Marines

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2006 at 03:35

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own.

Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2006 at 12:46
That's my favourite Cooper quote.

I have and like the book.

ILya
Windage & Eleva View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windage & Eleva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2006 at 15:12
Had the pleasure and priveledge of meeting him at the 1979 SHOT show in dallas. Met him, Col Askins and Bill Jordan all in the same day! A red letter day for me, for sure. A man in the presence of giants......
Secede!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic