OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger Precision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 06:18
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Yeah but your a little guy........ and old!  Whistling

Don’t need a .300 mag to kill deer😂.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 10:04
I don't think we're talking about killing deer hereWhistling
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 11:44
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I agree.
And I thought everyone had a 300WM.
I thought it was everyone's favorite round.
My bad.
I must be in the minority. I don't have one.Big Grin

You and me Sparky!!
take em!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 12:29
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Yeah but your a little guy........ and old!  Whistling

Don’t need a .300 mag to kill deer😂.

I shall take issue with this statement (regarding needing one to kill a deer) as I have previously: where I usually hunt, it is exceedingly thick and dangerous - everything out there wants to kill you or impale you. In that environment, deer thrive - which is odd, given their fragility, but such is God's handiwork.

I have been on a few hunts where deer were recovered only after an hour of looking, thousands of thorn impalements, only to find that the deer moved less than 50 yards between impact and death. I've been on a few more hunts where the deer was never recovered after many hours of looking.

It is in that scenario and context that I assert a 300WM is indeed of great benefit. It does one thing exceedingly well at ethical hunting distances: it imparts massive trauma on its target, and does so further from the permanent wound channel than lesser calibers. I can already hear the protestations - and let them come, it is a great topic - but my anecdotal experience, coupled with the experiences of my fellow hunters on said piece of ground, lead me to believe that the 300WM is little more in deer hunting than an insurance policy against a wounded and/or unrecovered deer. Granted, no shooter/caliber/rifle/ammo is absolute in its ability, but - as said before - shooting and especially hunting are confidence games, and I have confidence in my caliber of choose.

Such have been the results that almost everyone in our group now hunts a 300WM, usually with ammo I make; and 2 invested in 338LMs last season for the upcoming year.

Keep in mind, these are south Texas deer; in our party of 8, the smallest trophy last year was 180, and the largest was just over 203 (B&C scoring, but without the asymmetry deductions.) These are lifetime deer, and not ones people want to lose due to a slightly off-perfect shot; or a savings in ammo cost or ease of use/ convenience.

**Full disclosure: all that said, I ended up taking my trophy on a coyote hunt where I went out with my 243AI, and mine was the only trophy taken that dropped on the spot and never moved again. Of the remaining 7 taken, 6 were with 300WMs and one with a 7mag. Mine was a great front shoulder shot that grenaded in the animal, sent bone fragments into the vitals and spine, and came to rest just against the off-side hide. It is the only bullet I have recovered from an animal on that ranch. So I have, in essence, made an argument, then demonstrated the value of its antithesis. That fact is not lost on me.

Anecdotal, I know, and not really belonging in a "Ruger Precision" thread, but...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 13:02
Gotta dance with the girl who brung ya.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 13:53
RC, your point is well taken... and maybe the tag line should be, 'you don't need a .300 mag to kill some deer'     feel free to replace 'some' with whatever you desire....  most, many, all but the most dangerous locals.  where I hunt, Northeast Nebraska, most cases you don't need that much weapon.  It certainly doesn't hurt to use that much weapon, as long as you shoot it well.  we do have scenarios where deer can be lost... big timber, un-picked corn fields and even some big CRP fields are still around.  I have dropped many deer in their tracks with the ole 30-06.  I like it when that happens! 
take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 14:11
For practical purposes, I consider a 30-06 the youth version of a 300WM. It's like when your pa tells you, "one day you'll grow up big and strong and use a man's gun, but till then, just use this 30-06."

And then you turn 12 and can handle more, and it is a proud day indeed.

Your day is coming, it truly is.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 16:43
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I don't think we're talking about killing deer hereWhistling

But that’s what I hunt 😂💥
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 09:16
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

For practical purposes, I consider a 30-06 the youth version of a 300WM. It's like when your pa tells you, "one day you'll grow up big and strong and use a man's gun, but till then, just use this 30-06."

And then you turn 12 and can handle more, and it is a proud day indeed.

Your day is coming, it truly is.
Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 09:35
Weren't you supposed to pat him on the head????
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 10:42
All in good fun.

Now back to the Ruger Precision...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic