OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger Precision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger Precision
    Posted: May/07/2019 at 09:27
Well they now have the 6.5 prc and 300 prc in their precision rifle.  The 300 is calling my name.  Bucky

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 10:09
You know you want it. You know you need it. You know you can't live without it. So what's holding you back?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 10:23
Just the $2000 is all. Smile   I gotta pay for a baby this year.  gonna cost me $10,000 out of my pocket.  Plus my older boy just got his tonsils out and that was $3,000 out of my pocket. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 10:43
I bet Rifledude can help you make the correct decision. Well, maybe he can help you make A decision.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 10:45
Haha, I bet he could. 

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 11:55
Yeah like buy three....  Smile
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 12:21
So (and I think we did this before)...it is a little faster than a 300WM, shooting a slightly larger bullet with marginally better BC, has very few factory ammo options at the moment, and is really of no benefit over the 300WM inside 1000 yards?

This is a true, dedicated long range gun. The 6CM and 6.5CM, I get (cheaper to shoot than 300, milder recoil than 308, short action, etc), but this is for the person that wants fewer clicks at and beyond 1000 yards.

Top it with a nice fixed 8X that has over 500MOA of adjustment and go win some ELR events!

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 13:02
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

So (and I think we did this before)...it is a little faster than a 300WM, shooting a slightly larger bullet with marginally better BC, has very few factory ammo options at the moment, and is really of no benefit over the 300WM inside 1000 yards?

This is a true, dedicated long range gun. The 6CM and 6.5CM, I get (cheaper to shoot than 300, milder recoil than 308, short action, etc), but this is for the person that wants fewer clicks at and beyond 1000 yards.

Top it with a nice fixed 8X that has over 500MOA of adjustment and go win some ELR events!

If you're talking about all bullets available to the handloader, the BC difference isn't "marginally better," it's significantly better. If you look at Hornady's bullets in the ELD and A-Tip series alone, the G7 BC delta is on the order of .100 between a typical VLD 200/208 and a VLD 225-250. The shooter interested in a .300 PRC isn't typically a factory ammo buyer, though the factory ammo situation may change soon, as the round shows great promise. Bottom line, the COAL:case OAL ratio for the .300 PRC compared to the .300 Win is much more favorable for seating heavier, higher BC bullets out to the lands, and in the process, it dispenses with the stupid belt that the precision shooter won't be headspacing on to begin with. When you combine better case design, higher velocity, and better bullet seating depth latitude, the .300 PRC makes a lot of sense if you were looking for a LR .30 cal and didn't already have a .300 Win. If you handload, you don't care about factory ammo availability as long as you have a ready supply of brass, and the .300 PRC gives you a greater selection of viable bullets without exceeding mag box length limitations.

For a typical hunting rifle and a typical hunter, the .300 Win is certainly more practical, but that's not the primary purpose the .300 PRC was created for. It fills the same niche as the 6.5 Creed does in its category: better case design and better bullet seating latitude important for precision.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 13:03
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I bet Rifledude can help you make the correct decision. Well, maybe he can help you make A decision.

The correct answer is yes, you should.

Easy enough, right?

You're welcome.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 13:05

Laugh Above

But, for someone who doesn't own a 300 WM currently, the 300 PRC is a better choice.  Same as 260 vs 6.5 creed.  One is a round built for hunting a zillon years ago, one is purpose built to shoot high BC bullets far away. 

For a reloader, factory ammo matter little. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 13:08
Damnit, once again Ted pushes post reply before me and says the same thing but with much prettier words.  Bow

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 13:22
Just thank Mr Peabody and move on.....

THE BRAINIAC.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 13:36
I knew I could count on Ted.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 14:00
I agree.

And I thought everyone had a 300WM.

I thought it was everyone's favorite round.

My bad.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 14:05

I agree.

My bad.

I have one, I can't say it's my favorite, but I am very fond of it.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 15:18

I agree.

My bad.

UMMM  not just one.....Whistling

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 22:24

I agree.

My bad.

I must be in the minority. I don't have one.Big Grin
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 05:35
Yep, definitely the minority 
--Thomas Jefferson

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 05:41
I don’t have one and never wanted one.

Biggest 30”s I’ve owned are.308, .348 & .358.

Edited by Peddler - May/08/2019 at 05:48
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 05:58
Yeah but your a little guy........ and old!  Whistling
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic