OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10MM 1911's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10MM 1911's
    Posted: May/02/2019 at 12:44
I've always wanted a Colt Delta Elite,  no really reason why, just always have. 

Anyone got one? Or similar model 1911 in 10MM?   How you like it?   Just curious as to its effectiveness in hunting situations as well as in that platform.

Not really looking for other platforms in 10mm at this time.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 11:46
I had wanted a 10mm for a long time.  (Wanted not needed).  I ran across a Kimber Camp Guard 10 at a gunshow in December.  It looked like it had never been shot and was priced right so I bought it.

It shoots really well with much less recoil than I expected.  It has a 18.5# recoil spring which really softens recoil.  So far it has had no malfunctions.  It groups very well, but I hit low left with it.  Probably the trigger puller causing that.

I originally wanted the Delta Elite, but in my opinion, the Kimber is a better, more refined pistol.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 13:18
Thanks for chiming in..... not much more than crickets so far on the topic.....  There are several Kimber models in 10mm and of course the Delta Elite.   Springfield also has an offering.  
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 13:26
I always found it odd that S&W dropped their 10mm line of autos in 1994; right when the 10 round plus magazine ban started. I thought, if you can't have more rounds then wouldn't you want more power in the rounds you have. Now 10mm Smiths bring premium prices.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 14:10
Dan Wesson also has 10mms i believe
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 15:14
Take a hard look at what the velocity and energy of 10mm is in the factory offerings as compared to 40 S&W I really don't think there it that much difference in most of it. You might have to hand load to get a true performance difference.  I've been running some 155 gr Silvertip ammo in the 40 with good success where the issued 180 gr Winchester Ranger ammo sucked on deer size game the 155 would put them down.   We talk caliber more often than we talk ammo selection within a specific caliber but there are some high quality loads and some loads that suck in every caliber.  With handgun ammo the velocity is truly critical if it is to expand. If you are not trying to make something expand large slow very heavy (200 to 300+) slugs like .45 and .44 have a long history of being effective, with the down side being trajectory limits their range.

I think you would like a 10 mm I have never had one but a friend has one he hunts with. I have looked with curiosity at the delta  several times and I thought there was a issue with the frame developing cracks but no personal knowledge.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 16:49
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Dan Wesson also has 10mms i believe

Nighthawk makes one.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 22:22
I was looking at a 10mm 1911, but kept hearing about how hard it is on the frame. Possibly developing cracks. So I ended up getting a Glock 20SF instead. But the more I read on the subject problems seem to be with high round count (What ever that is.), not maintaining it (Changing out recoil springs.) and using full power loads such as Underwood and Buffalo Bore. So I still may have a 10mm 1911 in my future.

Also it seems a lot of the 10mm ammo is only sightly more powerful than 40S&W. You have to check the specs.

Brand: Underwood Ammo

Technical Information
  • Caliber: 10mm Auto
  • Bullet Weight: 220 Grains
  • Bullet Style: Hi -Tek Coated Hard Cast Flat Nose 21 BHN
  • Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass
Ballistics Information
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1200 fps
  • Muzzle Energy: 703 ft lbs
PMC
  • WEIGHT: 200 grain
BALLISTICS
VELOCITY (feet per second)
  • Muzzle: 1050
ENERGY (foot-pounds)
  • Muzzle: 490
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 22:36
If u want power, 460 rowland baby.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 07:46
I have been carrying a 10mm for twenty years. The big companies have definitely watered it down. But, the 40 S&W compared to a full house 10mm is not close. There are plenty of 600 ft/lb loads available and are no problem in a Glock, not sure on a 1911.
Doug
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 09:57
Ky. State Police used to use S&W 1076 in 10mm with full house loads (not those sissy loads the FBI used). They loved them. The KSP armorer was a friend of mine. He said they made a 10mm hole going in and a half dollar hole going out, and they never needed more than one.
Now I can't verify that, but I do remember several KSP involved shootings where the suspect was only shot once and didn't survive.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 12:54
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

There are plenty of 600 ft/lb loads available and are no problem in a Glock,

Doug, what are you using and for what purpose target, SD or hunting?
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 13:06
I use it for general woods carry in black bear country. The Glock is easy to carry under a fishing vest or sweater. I would not carry any of the 180 grain heavy rounds for self defense.

Doug
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 14:12
What ammo are you using Doug?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 14:58
Kimber has one that has a pretty low price.  I have seen them sell for in the $600 range on gunbroker.

tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 08:50
I presently have a couple hundred rounds of Cor-Bon 180 grain boned core hunting ammo. I also have 180 and 200 grain Hornady XTP, but that stuff is loaded to the Short and Wimpy FBI lite spec.
Doug
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 09:19
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I presently have a couple hundred rounds of Cor-Bon 180 grain boned core hunting ammo. I also have 180 and 200 grain Hornady XTP, but that stuff is loaded to the Short and Wimpy FBI lite spec.

Big difference between the FBI load and the real 10mm load. The FBI load was the inspiration for the 40 Short & Week, and I can't say I'm impressed with the 40S&W.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 10:28
Thanks Doug!
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 10:32
Back to the Colt DE, I think they are a great 1911. I like Colts!
Doug
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2019 at 11:19
I can't speak to Colt's now, however, when Kimber's first came out, I bought a Custom Classic. I had just started a new job in Accounting and was talking to my CFO one day, who turned out to be a gun nut. I mentioned I had a Kimber, and he said "what's that, never heard of Kimber"? 

That ended up in me bring the Kimber to his office the next day, and he showed me his nice pretty shiny colt 45. He was sure proud of it. I handed him my Kimber, he asked what I paid. I told him, and he said, " I got ripped off". I was looking at his Colt thinking what a piece of junk. It wasn't nice tight and slick like my Kimber was. 

My Kimber is the most accurate pistol I have ever owned, perhaps the only thing close was a SW 686 with a 6 in barrel, which I wish I had never sold. 

But I do want a Glock 20SF, but want to shoot one first. I had a G23 and loved the size, but it beat my trigger finger to death, thus making it a gun I didn't like to shoot. I traded it for an SW99 in 40, and loved it as well, except shooting it. Beat up my trigger finger too. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic