OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Reflex sight for 9.3x62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which reflex sight for a 9.3x62
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
6 [100.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflex sight for 9.3x62
    Posted: April/24/2019 at 07:07
Hi folks,

Being a sentimental old fool I am unwilling to put a drill bit into a my 9.3x62 round bridge receiver.

So, having asked around on Africa Hunting, it seems I could put something like a nice light red dot sight in the barrel mounted dovetail (15-13mm top to bottom and 15mm square)

by having a gunsmith mill one of these to fit the dovetail.

Which with a larger "key" would look like this:

So, my question is folks: Which reflex sight?

Trijicon RMR - Seems to be some use of these on DG rifles and has a 1 MOA dot
Leupold Delta Point - Comes highly recommended
Bushnell Fastfire 3 - Got the 3MOA dot version, been on the slug gun and the .44 mag and I quite like it
Something else I'm not thinking of.

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

Edited by Scrumbag - April/24/2019 at 07:18
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2019 at 10:24
My favourite compact red dot is probably Shield.  I like the RMS series on handguns and SIS/CQS on carbines.  Given that Shield is a British company, it may stroke your patriotism a little.

A couple of comments: do not go for the smallest dot possible unless you have had a chance to look at it first.  It does  not help speed and, most of the time, does not help accuracy either.

Think carefully about where you want your line of sight to be.  That is really subject to stock fit.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2019 at 10:51
Additionally, you are removing the rear sight to put this on the gun, meaning if it fails under recoil or the battery dies, you have a severely limited firearm - in a place where things can also hunt you.

I run red dots on several rifles and really like them for their intended purpose, but I always have a backup solution, whether using a pop-up front site post and the window of the optic as the rear sight aperture; or having backup irons and the optic in a QD.

I like the Shield sights as well, have several on a few different handguns, and they have been rock solid.

For what you want to do, and the purpose of doing it, I'd be looking at a dual illumination RMR. With that, no battery to fail at the worst time. The tritium will keep it illuminated at night and the fiber works well in the day. If you go that route, avoid the amber reticles as they wash out, and avoid the triangle as it is the most dim of the options.

For me, and as pretty as that gun is, I'd stick with irons. They work every time, they are fast and accurate, and hunting is a confidence game.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2019 at 11:27
Shield RMS has an integrated rear notch.  If you set it up so that it lines up with the front sight, it might serve as backup.

Ilya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2019 at 11:33
Yes, that is true, I forgot about that feature - which is part of why I will accept a red dot on a real world gun: if the dot fails, I know where rounds hit using the rear notch and the front sight post.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2019 at 14:13
I would stick with the irons.
Doug
1911GUY View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2019 at 16:25
Originally posted by Scrumbag Scrumbag wrote:

Hi folks,

Being a sentimental old fool I am unwilling to put a drill bit into a my 9.3x62 round bridge receiver.

So, having asked around on Africa Hunting, it seems I could put something like a nice light red dot sight in the barrel mounted dovetail (15-13mm top to bottom and 15mm square)

by having a gunsmith mill one of these to fit the dovetail.

Which with a larger "key" would look like this:

So, my question is folks: Which reflex sight?

Trijicon RMR - Seems to be some use of these on DG rifles and has a 1 MOA dot
Leupold Delta Point - Comes highly recommended
Bushnell Fastfire 3 - Got the 3MOA dot version, been on the slug gun and the .44 mag and I quite like it
Something else I'm not thinking of.

Thanks in advance,

Scrummy

Personally I like the Trijicon RMR. And I agree that the larger dot will speed your aim up as you don't have to look for it. That being said I would prefer iron sights for backup in a place where things can hunt you.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2019 at 07:16
It's OK gents, on the back of the cocking piece is a cocking piece sight.

Granted would need to remove the red dot to use but with most BUS this is the case.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2019 at 07:46
Do you plan to take to Africa on a trip or are you just saying you asked around "on African hunting forum" or something....... if not taking there then the need for BUS is negated unless your going to go hunt dangerous game elsewhere????
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
1911GUY View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911GUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2019 at 10:57
Since you do have a back up sight ,more power to ya. For the base I would use some type of picatinny rail and a QD mount for the red dot. I think you'll have a cool and quick rifle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2019 at 11:11
If you are willing to go with a Picatinny base, maker one with a groove on the center, so it works as a crude rear sight.

Ilya
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2019 at 13:02
I like the idea of the Pic / Weaver base but the stock is really set up for iron sights so a wondering about the height coming up...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2019 at 13:22
The basic problem with putting a red dot sight in between the front and rear sights is that unless you can co-witness or make it easily removable, switching to the iron sights is slow.

I do not know for sure where the sightline is, but if you can have something that fits in the rear sight base that contains a grove down the center, the approach might work.

Meoprolight was showing a similar concept for handguns at SHOT.  They made a rear sight with a groove machined down the middle:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vTKE4C1jUqMGbF1V6

That serves as a base for a red dot.

There are other similar concepts out there.

I have one of my Glock slides set up with a base from a place called sight-mount.com

He's got a small weaver/pic rail with a grove down the center that serves as the rear sight when a red dot sight is off.

I am not crazy about this idea as it pertains to handguns, but for your application it might work.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2019 at 13:29
Wait, you're bald?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/25/2019 at 13:36
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Wait, you're bald?

Not everywhere.  Normally I do a Donald Trump style comb over from my lower back, but that day I forgot.

ILya
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2019 at 04:14
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Wait, you're bald?

Not everywhere.  Normally I do a Donald Trump style comb over from my lower back, but that day I forgot.

ILya

OK, my tea is now on my keyboard...
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2019 at 05:40
Just for clarification folks,

My 9.3 currently has 2 rear sights.

Cocking piece sight on the back of the bolt:

And a leaf sight on the barrel just in front of the receiver:

Here you can see the 2

I am contemplating removing the leaf sight and having a dovetail mount made for the reflex red dot in it's place.

Scrummy

Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2019 at 09:40
Well folks,

Thanks to a little help from a buddy from here, I now have a Burris Fastfire III (3 MOA) on my 9.3x62

A block from JP Enterprises JPA-GS and Arrendo Adapter made it's way to me with the help of a buddy.

So, the block was milled from:

to

Which fits in the dovetail for the express V

Also a grub screw was fitted by the gunsmith to stop any lateral walk under recoil.

After which the Arrendondo Plate was fitted:

(Sorry about bad picture, you can see the Arrendondo plate sticking out a bit beyond the block at the back)

With this set up, I get  good versatility s the block suits the JPOINT micro red dot mounting footprint which is the same as the Leupold Delta Point, Delta Point Pro, Shield RMS, Shield SMS, and Redfield Accelerator. With the Arrendondo plate, that allows anything with a Docter type footprint to be fitted, so lots of choice going forward).

So, then fit the Burris and here are a couple of shots or what it looks like:

Thanks everyone for there help. Will shoot it some with the Burris and decide if I want to upgrade or change out later.

Scrummy

Edited by Scrumbag - July/27/2019 at 02:50
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2019 at 09:51
And here's a close up of the sight on the rifle:

Edited by Scrumbag - July/27/2019 at 02:51
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/26/2019 at 11:08
When you post an image, you can give it dimensions, so it fits on a page.  On my screen, it is so huge, it is virtually impossible to see.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic