OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

<$1000 glass comparable to NF NXS 5.5-24x56mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pessimisticpuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: <$1000 glass comparable to NF NXS 5.5-24x56mm
    Posted: April/10/2019 at 17:17
Hi everyone. I’m a brand new member and this is my first post. You all seem very knowledgeable about scopes so I’ll try to provide enough information and word my question in a way to make answering easier. 

Anyway, I’m building a 1000m rifle and I’m at a point where I need to decide on a scope. For background, the rifle information is as follows:

Gun:

Remington 700 ADL Varmint

.308 Win

26” heavy barrel

X-Mark Pro trigger

Stock:

Magpul Pro 700

Short action

Fixed (will be buying FHA soon)

Scope base:

Nightforce Remington 700 SA Steel w/ 20 MOA

Bipod:

CVLIFE (Harris imitator)

6-9” 5-stage adjustable legs

360 degree swivel

Picatinny adapter

Now that that’s over, onto the scope issue.

For two months I’ve been researching and have come to land on the Nightforce Optics NXS 5.5-24x56mm scope featuring an MOAR reticle, Zero Stop turrets and 1/4 MOA adjustments.

Others considered are the SWFA SS 3-15x42mm, Millett 6-25x56mm LRS-1, and Athlon Optics 6-24x50mm Argos BTR. 

I’ve seen really good reviews and really bad reviews on all of them except Nightforce but at $2090.00, that’s hard on a paramedic salary. 

I’d like any and all input on quality scopes that can consistently reach out to 1000m or better that don’t have the same price tag as my first car. 

Thank you all in advance. 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2019 at 17:49
Look at Sightron S3 scopes.

One of their 6-24x50 scopes would work really well for you and you can choose whether you ant a FFP or SFP version.

Another good option is Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56

ILya
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2019 at 17:57
Trust Ilya!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2019 at 18:10
+1
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2019 at 18:34
Agreed, trust Koshkin.

But...

Some don't like >20X scopes - me included. They are often difficult to get behind and small movements by the shooter show up in the reticle, and can be diatracting. 
My sweet spot on optics is about 15-18X on the top end. I tested the S3 6-24 several years ago and it is a good range scope, but you might be less happy at 24X than you anticipate.

Lastly, I hate the x-mark triggers, your mileage may vary. I'd consider a better trigger if you really want to maximize your precision and accuracy.

Wait, one more - maybe 2:
1. Professional instruction in marksmanship will be money better spent than better glass or better stock.
2.  Shoot, lots. Your anticipated 1000m shot is not an easy shot. If your trigger pull is great but your wind call sucks, you miss often.

Hope that help.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - April/11/2019 at 08:24
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2019 at 19:49
what distances have you shot at?  and what set-up have you used?
take em!
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2019 at 02:46
Welcome to the forum!

My 2p worth: If you can, work up to 1,000yds. It's a long, long shot and the instruction might not be a bad idea.

I'm shooting with my shooting club between 800 and 1,200 yds early next month. I will need a lot of coaching. Scopewise, Koshkin is well worth listening to in his advice.

What ever you choose, enjoy your shooting!

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
pessimisticpuma View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pessimisticpuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/12/2019 at 20:23
OP here. Took the collective advice and did some looking into the Sightron SIII.  It’s exactly what I’m looking for and arriving on Sunday. 

Thank you all for the solid advice and quick replies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic