OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > The Roy D. Finn Memorial Knife Forum > Custom Knives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Neck Knives

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Neck Knives
    Posted: April/08/2019 at 09:25
So in the PC environment we live in its getting harder to EDC a decent knife due to not being able to have it clipped to my pocket at work anymore.. most are to big to hang loose in the pocket and I've got to the point I carry a smaller victorniox executive in my pocket which won't do much good in a defense situation.  

Toying with the ideal of a knife to wear around my neck under my dress shirt as a backup defense item. 

Anyone done this before? What models have you tried?

Thinking thinner the better here but with a tie and loose dress shirt should hide easily and with the button down shirt should access easy between buttons.... obviously better options for defense but with restrictions at work this is what I'd be limited to and considering.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 09:32
I've used, but it is a last resort, not easy to get to, especially under a dress shirt.

I'll go look at mine and let you know.

I much prefer a pointy pen in the pocket to a knife out of reach. These are close contact weapons, so readily available beats a bit more capability but hard to reach.

Consider a pen, which blends completely with dress casual. I too always have a knife, but can get to the pen very quickly.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 10:04
does anyone make a self defense "pointy pen"   seems like a legit option.
take em!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 10:21
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Benchmade has those.  They are pretty steep, but would make a decent puncture weapon I suppose.

Graham, what about a benchmade 940-1.  I has a 3.4 inch blade, but is crazy light, 2.5ish oz's.  I carry one of those daily and if I drop it in my pocket, its light enough its like it is not there.

They also have a new knife that is a bit shorter 3.25 but even lighter. 1.85oz
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 10:45
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Smith and Wesson makes some that are much cheaper than the Benchmade. I don't own the Benchmade, but they are probably okay - though overpriced. The S&W have a rubber gasket to prevent separation of the 2 pieces, though that still happens at times. This isn't a thing that requires lots of money to get a nice one.

One thing: I don't usually take advantage of the pen feature of the pen, I care more about camouflage than utility as a pen. That is to say I cannot comment on the quality of the "pen" part of the pen, just the utility of the stabby part of the pen.

There are also "stylus" options, no pen involved, that is what I usually carry. It is lighter weight, only one piece (so won't separate the way a pen can/will), and are usually less expensive and more usable - as they are purpose-made rather than re-purposed.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 10:49
Its more of the bulk of it in my dress pants pocket I have issues with ST.... always seems to poke the wrong way when I sit or fall out when I'm driving.  Hate to loose more knives to falling out of a pocket.  I have considered the pen as the primary tool and have the knife as a backup.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 10:50
RC... what was the name of that pen you used?  You linked to it a while back but I can't find it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 10:57
I dunno man. I kinda view wearing a neck knife in the same general category as running with scissors.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 11:15
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I dunno man. I kinda view wearing a neck knife in the same general category as running with scissors.

Its in a sheath.....Big Grin 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 11:25
I have carried a Becker Necker when ice fishing for years. It is good to have if I fall through. But, I cannot recommend a neck knife for the office. 
Look at the Russell one handed. It's flat, light and what I carry.
Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 11:37
The one I carry is from a company that sells lots of stuff - but no optics (not a competitor.)

The link is here: https://countycomm.com/products/persuader-titanium

I have had to unscrew the clip and re-bend it a few times, it snags on things more than some. But it works well for what it is, is light weight, and sits very securely in the hand.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2019 at 16:29
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2019 at 17:45
my buddy who has a 40 state carry won’t leave home without his Benchmade TACTICAL pen!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2019 at 18:32
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Its in a sheath.....Big Grin 

If my big arse falls and the bidness end of said knife catches some skin, no sheath is gonna prevent the pointy part from poking through and impaling me. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2019 at 08:12
I REALLY like the look of this:

Not sure how really practical it it. Mora make a neck knife too!

Scrummy

Edited by Scrumbag - April/10/2019 at 08:29
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2019 at 15:24
A sap is a great tool, and is very effective, but not always legal, and not always easy to conceal in business casual.

The point - no pun intended - or the thread is a readily accessible tool for discouraging violence against one's own person, and the pointy pen fits that well. Also consider that, when needed, it might be needed one-handed.

https://www.swfa.com/smith-wesson-tactical-pen.html

That is one of the pens I have, it is far less expensive than the Benchmade, but - as I said - I can only vouch for its pointiness utility, I don't use it as a pen. Maybe the Benchmade is a great pen AND pointy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic