OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SIG Sauer P320 M17

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2019 at 20:54
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Hornady 135 grain critical defense

that's Critical Duty isn't it?    115 is CD
take em!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2019 at 20:55
I use critical defense in a couple guns that did group better than others.  
Really any premium self defense ammo that is reliable and functions well in your gun should work.   It does get pricey function testing though. I normally don't carry a gun unless I have ran no less than a hundred rounds of carry ammo through it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2019 at 21:02
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Hornady 135 grain critical defense

that's Critical Duty isn't it?    115 is CD

Probably
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2019 at 13:09
went do a local store today and fondled some 320s... they feel good.  they had a Full and M17.  not sure what all the differences are, but they have a Full that doesn't come with night sights and its priced at $499  and the M17 was $679.   another local has the M17 for $649

Edited by Tip69 - March/28/2019 at 18:49
take em!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2019 at 13:41
The M17 has a manual safety, which is worth the extra, to me at least.

I can compare specs side-by-side, but the safety is the big one. And maybe the color. If you are looking at the tan, it doesn't wear well, don't make that a deciding factor.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2019 at 18:47
ok, got some clarification... the 320 Full that I was looking at was for $499 but it was Without the night sights...  with the night sights, its $579.00.   And the M17 comes with the Optic-Ready night sight rear plate.    So I have to decide if the optic ready is a must.
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2019 at 22:38
so..... I have been re-thinking my P320 purchase a bit... because I got all hot and bothered with getting a Colt Competition 1911.   also, I really really like my SP2022, and the thought occurred to me, what if I don't like the 320 as much as I do the 2022 but I traded the 2022 to get the Colt?

my motivation for the P320 (besides just wanting another Sig) was to have my carry and home defense set up exactly the same... hammerless, safety-less, ready to go.   That still seems like a good idea, but maybe it can wait a bit and can save up and not have to trade the SP2022.  Of course, if I found a 320 I could shoot -  at test drive if you will..... then I would prolly be informed enough to make the leap if I indeed shot the 320 well.

this is also being influenced by the fact that the Colt is currently on sale at a local shop at a good price and I don't want to miss it!
take em!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 09:18
Everyone should have at least one 1911, they are fun guns.  I have more formal training with a 1911 than I do any other handgun, overall I like them the best.  Nothing beats a good 1911 trigger IMO. 

As far as the SP2022 goes, I don't like guns that are DA/SA.  Having to deal with 2 different trigger pulls requires more training to make consistent hits.  Most people hit low with the first round on the DA.  Some claim to just cock the hammer during the draw stroke.  But that is going to be much harder to do during a real stressful scenario.  Fine motor skills will be reduced during stress.

So in my opinion, I would ditch the SP2022 and get a gun with a consistent trigger pull from shot to shot.  The 320 would be a good choice there.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 10:57
I have no issue with DA/SA autos. I've found that there really is no difference in accurate hits in either mode, especially under stress, and I speak from experience and observation. I also have no issue with safeties. I do have an issue with a lack of training and practice. I also have an issue with one pistol fits all. I understand the theory, but I don't agree with it. If it worked, then all we would need is size 9 shoes for everyone and they would fit. Also, the thing about fine motor skills going down under stress is something I preached to my recruits and officers, and it's partially true for the under trained and/or inexperienced, but with training and experience fine motor skills can be retained under stress. Again something I have experienced and observed.
Pistols should be chosen based on the user's skill, training, and experience as well as the intended use, and environment it will be used in, and how it fits the user. There are a lot of things to consider, and a lot of pistols to choose from.
Choose wisely, and train with your decision.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 11:15
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I've found that there really is no difference in accurate hits in either mode, especially under stress, and I speak from experience and observation.

I agree on this with those who have had enough training/practice.  But you watch novice and beginner shooters and there is almost always two groups on their targets.  A low group from the first shot and a higher group from the second and third shots etc.  And the fact is most shooters won't train/practice enough to over come that. 

At the school Front Sight they point this out in every handgun class I have taken.  And they always use the real life targets of those in the class shooting DA/SA.  Those with the DA first shot guns always really struggle with the designated head shots.  They often hit below the nose instead of in the cranial ocular cavity. 

It can completely be overcome with lots of trigger time, but why?  So many other options that eliminates the whole thing.  This is obviously just my opinion, but consistency is the key to accuracy and I am all about making things simpler. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 11:24
Front site trains to aim at the ocular cavity?

Regarding BF's comments above about fine motor skills, I agree, I may have mis-spoken at some point. A better way to say it is probably higher brain function.

I have noted that, when taking an important shot in a stressful environment, afterwards, I have zero recollection of site alignment or reticle position. The parts of my brain that calculate those things work just fine, they just disconnect from the memory part of my brain, from the voluntary movement part. It is a strange thing, and I have seen it more than a few times - and have talked to a few with similar experiences.

Fine motor skills can be maintained, even in high stress. As said before, no one rises to the occasion, you simply fall back on training.

Regarding 1911, I agree on most points. A great 1911 is truly a work of art; an okay 1911 is little more than a hammer that intermittently goes pew-pew.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 11:32
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Front site trains to aim at the ocular cavity?

They do.  They teach to engage the thoracic first.  If that doesn't stop the fight and if the attacker continues whether wearing body armor, hopped up on drugs, or whatever might be the case to engage the cranial to end the fight. 

Here is one of their targets. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 11:40
Yea, okay, I guess so.

If you look at an IPSC target, that cranial zone is smaller, credit card size, and represents a bit lower shot on the face.

Most of the "light switch" stuff in the brain is below the eyes, right behind the front teeth. If you want an instant incapacitation shot, that is where it should go. With a rifle, you have quite a bit more forgiveness on placement, which is why I thought it odd that Front Site would want you going that high.

Then again, they teach things differently than I was taught. CQC stuff seems to change about every 5 years, and I am more than 5 years out of the good stuff.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 11:44
The reason they teach that spot is it is the softest spot on the face.  There is less and or no bone behind the eyes and nose cavity.  More likely to get penetration with handgun rounds by not hitting bone, or teeth. 

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 13:41
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

I really really like my SP2022, and the thought occurred to me, what if I don't like the 320 as much as I do the 2022 but I traded the 2022 to get the Colt?

this is also being influenced by the fact that the Colt is currently on sale at a local shop at a good price and I don't want to miss it!

The SP2022 is a very under rated Sig. I would keep it. Mine would be one of the last handguns I would sell.

Does your LGS do lay away or something similar?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 13:46

At the school Front Sight they point this out in every handgun class I have taken.  And they always use the real life targets of those in the class shooting DA/SA.  Those with the DA first shot guns always really struggle with the designated head shots.  They often hit below the nose instead of in the cranial ocular cavity. 

I was always trained to do body shots first and then go for the head shot. So a DA first shot wouldn't apply for me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 14:52

In the immortal words of the Dalai Lama!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 15:18
Designated head shots. Thats what they call it when they just have you practice head box shots. Thus the word designated. 

As i said in the other post. They teach thoracic first

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 16:02
I'll shoot what I can see best. If it's a foot, that'll do, if it's the head that'll do too, but I'm ready for more if they're still froggy.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2019 at 16:26

if the situation ever presented itself... I'm shooting in that direction until it goes click with as much accuracy as possible.   Hoping muscle memory takes over..... hence practicing from a draw at least weekly using snap caps or live rounds on a designated target.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic