OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

is today the day?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is today the day?
    Posted: March/22/2019 at 08:26
might be putting one of these on lay-a-way today.  but it will have the 4.5 barrel

take em!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2019 at 08:57
first mod..... disable the mag disconnect safety
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2019 at 09:00
you'll love it, I enjoy mine.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2019 at 09:20
I already have a MK II.... shoot the hell out of it coyote hunting... so want a backup.  What is the 'mag disconnect safety' ?
take em!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2019 at 09:24
most have a safety that doesn't allow gun to fire without the mag in it.  Maybe the early models don't have it but on my Mk IV I had to disable it.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2019 at 12:39
ah.... my MK II does not have it.. hope this III doesn't either!  it has the older style safety which I like a lot better.
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2019 at 12:43
I should have mentioned... the one pictured above and what I intend to get is a MK III.
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2019 at 15:05
today was sort of the day.... I put it on lay-a-way....   Big Smile
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2019 at 10:51
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

ah.... my MK II does not have it.. hope this III doesn't either!  it has the older style safety which I like a lot better.

Yes, every MKIII and later Ruger .22 pistols of this series has the mag disconnect safety. The good news is it’s not difficult to disable. This is another of the wonderful “contributions” corporate lawyers have made to the gun industry, along with terrible triggers.

I love that family of pistols! It is what “made” Ruger, Ruger, as the original MKI was the first firearm they manufactured. To me, it is essential that all shooters own at least one piece from that series. They are just too much fun, mechanically simple, and pretty foolproof, all at a very reasonable price. 

Hell, I’m about to talk myself into getting another one now!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2019 at 16:17
I tend to prefer the second generation in stainless. I started with the first generation blue but it is quite difficult to find magazines or the replacement spring for the magazine on gen 1 pistols. The gen 2 uses an entirely different magazine spring but the mag can still be found.  I actually prefer the German style mag release at the bottom of the magazine where the gen 3 guns moved to a 1911 style mag release button on the side and I despise the cut out with the loaded chamber indicator on the left side of gen 3 probably why I like gen 1 and 2 better.  The absolute worst of them to take apart were the 1911 style grip gen 3 guns.  While I have not had the new easy to take apart current model these  ruger 22's have killed more snakes for me than you could put in the back of a pickup truck.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic