OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Elite 4200 or Sightron SII or ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsopa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Elite 4200 or Sightron SII or ??
    Posted: September/23/2006 at 08:31
I have been reading a lot of reviews here by Koshkin and others.  I have about 10 scopes now, almost all mil-dot, mostly from lower end players like Simmons (although mine are the older, better quality scopes made in the Phillipines) and Millett (their newer 6.5-25x50 scopes).

I would like to get one really good mil dot scope so that I can see what I am missing.  My budget is $500 or less.  I would like variable power up to 20-something.  I usually shoot from a bench or a bipod out to 500 yards with 223s and 308s.  My centerfires are all either accurized AR-15s or Savage 10FPs with one-piece picatinny rails.

My preferences are:
  1. Optical clarity
  2. Accuracy and repeatability of the windage and elevation adjustments
  3. Brightness
  4. Durability
  5. Accuracy of mil-dots and conformance to either Army or Navy mil-dot specs
  6. Price (as long as it's under $500)
Based on what I am reading, these are the ones I am thinking about so far:

Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 Mildot

Sightron SII 6-24x42MD

Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50 Tactical

Burris 6-24x44 Signature Select  (although this is apparently out of my price range)

Would appreciate comments from all.

Thanks!

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2006 at 12:45
Elite 4200.

ILya
Anthony View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2006 at 14:54

get the 4200, if you spend a little bit more you can get the side focus model which is a lot more friendly with butler creek flip ups.

johnsopa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsopa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2006 at 15:14
I am leaning towards the 4200 now but I wish the turrets were taller.  I use a label maker and a Sharpie to yardage markers since I usually shoot only one load.  I don't think I'll have room to put labels on these short turrets.  I also wich it had 1/4" adjustments so that there weren't so many clicks between 200 and 500 yards.  But hopefully the rest of the benefits will make up for this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic