OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mid level hunting binocular?!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mid level hunting binocular?!?
    Posted: September/22/2006 at 17:40

So, what if I wanted to save my pennies and invest in a mid level hunting binocular instead of the $300-$350 level.  What would you suggest?  How much should I spend?

Thanks in advance,  TJ

Not all who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2006 at 23:14
Well, the $300-$350 level really is the beginning of the "mid-level" binocular range and is also the lowest range to find quality roof prisms. Below this is what I would call the "budget class" and at this level you are far better off looking at a quality porro prism binocular than any roof prism on the market. These would include:
  1. Bushnell Legend
  2. Nikon Action and Action Extreme
  3. Pentax PCF WP II
  4. Leupold Cascades or Yosemites
  5. etc.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2006 at 01:13
First of all, Leupold Mesa Series 8x42 & 10x50 are priced under $200. The Leupold Yosemite Series is priced around $100 & are only 6x30. The Leupold Cascade Series runs around $300 with tax and/or S & H. The Cascade comes in an excellent 8x42 or 10x42 Internal Focus Porro Prism binocular.

Stay away from the Nikon Action Series because they are NOT waterproof or fogproof.
The Nikon Action Extreme IS waterproof & fogproof.(under $200)

Pentax PCF WP II's have received good reviews.(under $200)

Bushnell Legend Porro Prism Binoculars are the very "best bargain" of the whole lot.($125)

I try to tell everyone, do some reasonable homework/research on the internet & then shut off your computer, & go to any one of a number of good Sporting Goods chains, & start handling & looking thru a variety of binoculars in your price range.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2006 at 15:28
Porros are the way to go here.  The most popular bang for the buck choices are Nikon Action Extreme and Pentax PCF WP.  Both are pretty robust waterproof porro designs that are available in one of the best allround combinations: 8x40 or similar.  Both can be had under $150.

For a little more money, you can take a look at new Swift Ultralite porros or roofs.  Roofs are more fashionable, but porros are cheaper and have better glass.  Porros are ~$250 and roofs are about 70 bucks more.

Swift Audubon 8.5X44 porros are a little bigger and run at $300 or so.

WInd river Yosemite did not impress me in the slightest.  Cascades are pretty good though.

Bushnell Legends are pretty decent as well.

All in all, if you are really on a budget, my pick would be Pentax PCF WP.

ILya

Baylian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2006 at 16:36

Thanks for the replies.  What if I went up to $500 in a roof prism?  Is a $150 porro prism binocular on the same level as the $300 roof prism?

Thanks in advance,  TJ

Not all who wander are lost. - JRR Tolkien
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2006 at 16:43
Originally posted by Baylian Baylian wrote:

Thanks for the replies.  What if I went up to $500 in a roof prism?  Is a $150 porro prism binocular on the same level as the $300 roof prism?

Thanks in advance,  TJ

For around $500 you may be able to find Pentax DCF SP roof prism (and 8x model) which is an excellent binocular and would be the way to go if you can scrape up the cash.

As for a $150 porro, I would guess that the glass would be superior to a $300 roof.

Roof prism binoculars, IMO, are worth their salt starting with Pentax DCF SP and on up to Nikon LXL and Minox HG (just under a grand for Minox and Nikon).  Going above that, in my opinion, is not worth the money while going below that you get substantially better optics with porros.

ILya

ILya
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2006 at 22:15
Don't forget about Leupold Pinnacles 8x42(under $400),
often referred to as the "poor man's Zeiss".

I will also put in a plug for Fujinon 8x42CD($490) or 10x42CD($500).
You can find these at www.fujinon.com. The nice thing about Fujinon is the fact that they have 'silver' mirror prisms instead of aluminum coating.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic