OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Badger Mounting Instructions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Badger Mounting Instructions
    Posted: September/22/2006 at 15:36

Installing Bases and Rings

At a minimum, you need q-tips, Alcohol or Acetone, Red or Green Loctite, a 1/2" wrench

and the T-15 Torx wrench that the rings and base come with.

If you want to get pricey, a Torque wrench that will do 65 INCH-POUNDS (not Foot-

Pounds).

First the base:

With the Q-tip and solvent, clean the 4 mounting holes on the receiver.

Clean the screws with the solvent.

Apply a light coat of loctite to the bottom of the base, this will stop water from wicking

between the base and the mount and potentially cause rust over time. Place the base on

the receiver and loosely install all 4 screws, make sure the mount rattles freely.

One at a time, lightly tighten a screw, (shorter screw in the first hole on Remington’s and

Savages, both front holes on Winchesters and FN’s) make sure that it clamps the mount

(so that it won't rattle/shift) then loosen the screw and repeat with all screws.

If all the screws check out OK, one at a time apply a small amount of Loctite and re-install

it.

Now tighten all 4 screws, pushing the mount forward as you tighten. If you have an

adjustable torque wrench, the mounting screws should be 15 INCH-POUNDS.

If no torque wrench is available, holding the short end of the T-15 wrench tighten about as

tight as you can get it holding the short end of the T-15 wrench!

Rings:

Remove the ring caps, place the rings on the rifle in the location you think you want them,

then place the scope in the rings and check for eye relief. A good rule of thumb is to have

the rings as far apart as possible for your particular scope.

Once the rings are in the correct location, remove scope, push forward and tighten each

ring (the 1/2" nut) finger tight, using your 65 INCH-POUND torque wrench tighten each

nut. If you use a FOOT-POUND wrench, you will exceed the rating by 1200% BAD!!!

CAUTION: We discourage the use if a pointer or beam type torque wrench, they tend to

be very inaccurate. Use a click or dial type.

If no torque wrench is available, using a 1/2" wrench, turn the nut 90° after finger tight. NO

MORE!

Place the scope in the rings, put on the cap and screws, do not use Loctite, holding the

short end of the T-15 wrench tighten about as tight as you can get it (holding the short

end of the T-15 wrench!) make sure the gaps on both sides of the rings are equal.

Copyright © Badger Ordnance 2002

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2006 at 18:10

"Apply a light coat of loctite to the bottom of the base, this will stop water from wicking

between the base and the mount and potentially cause rust over time."

I have done this on my last few scope mounts.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
TheDrakeTaker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDrakeTaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/28/2007 at 23:27
Is 65in-lb the standard torque to be given to most of all rings, or is it different from scope to scope and from ring to ring?  
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/07/2007 at 14:43

It varies from make to make and most don't specify.  You do understand that the 65 in-lb is the large side nut that is only used on "Weaver" style rings and the Badger style/size is only used on heavy duty "Weaver" style rings like Leupold Mark 4.

Do not tighten a Burris Z ring's side screw to 65 in-lbs because it will break off way before you get to 65.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 17:57
When I read the title of this thread, my first reaction was "I wonder how these crazy s.o.b.'s plan to deal with that mean-ass varmint's vicious fangs and claws during this rather tedious 'procedure.'" Wink

Loco
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 17:59
Roll%20on%20Floor%20Laughing
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 17:59

Ted!  I would expect that from Cyborg but not you.  I can rewrite them if you are need of instructions for the latter????

Important!!!!! 1. First you must have a willing Badger.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2008 at 19:21
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Ted!  I would expect that from Cyborg but not you.  I can rewrite them if you are need of instructions for the latter????

Important!!!!! 1. First you must have a willing Badger.

Uhhh... hmmm.... I'll get back to you on that...Wink
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2008 at 15:54
RifleDude ..... that has to be one of the best replies  ... if i need a laugh ... I get them here !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2009 at 13:17
When I was in Sunday school in 1962, the three old lady teachers arrived in a 1932 Studebaker that one of the ladies had bought when new, when my father was in that Sunday school.

The three teachers names were Mrs. Fox, Mrs. Badger, and Mrs Beaver.

My immediate reaction to this piece was that Loctite 242 is too thin and too soft to fill the gap between the receiver and a mount at the rear of a surplus Mauser.
A thick filler, like Devcon Steel Putty is what I use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic