OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ok Finally Have $$$$ Saved Up???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ok Finally Have $$$$ Saved Up???
    Posted: September/19/2006 at 05:10

I finally have the money saved up for a nice set of 10X binoculars.  I decided that my cut off point is around $1,300 in that range I am looking at  the following:

Swarovski 10x42 SLC

Leica Tinovid 10x42

Zeiss Victory 10x40

Kahles 10x42

I havent looked through them yet and I will prior to buying but I have to wait till a store opens near by that will carry all the brands so I can do a side by side comparison. I am assuming that the nicest of these will either be the Swarovski or the Lecia since they carry a bit higher price tag??? Problem is both of those weigh in at 30+ oz and oz make pounds when hunting.  I like the fact that the Zeiss and the Kahles are lighter.  The areas that I am most concerned with is low light performance and  Chromatic Aberration. I have a nice pair of Weaver Grand Slam 10.5x45 Binoculars which are very very nice and very bright except last year hunting in the snow and glassing around when the sun started to come out caused chromatic aberation and it drove me nuts. I looked through a pair of Trinovids and a pair of Zeiss and both were clear or minimal at that point I figured I would just go for it and save up.

So any comments on the ones I am looking at or a comparison between those models would be great.

Thanks

AC

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 10:08

The one addition I would suggest you definately make to your list would be a 10x42 Nikon Premier LXL.  This binocular easily competes for the top-spot with all of the very best binoculars in the world, including the Swaro EL, Leica Ultravid, and Zeiss FL, yet still costs right at $1300.  It would be my personal first choice.

A couple of others that you may also want to look at (just for kicks and giggles) would be the Leupold GoldRing and the Bushnell Elite. Both of these seem to either receive glowing accolades or get completely flamed, depending on whose doing the reviewing. I suspect some of this is due primarily to badge-bias but regardless, it would be worth the time to see for yourself.

Personally, I own the 10x43 Elite and I really, really like it. But of course, "your mileage may vary." My friend looked through them the other day and while he was willing to concede their obvious high quality, you could tell he was underwhelmed by them.  His binocular is a 8x Nikon Monarch and it serves his purposes perfectly.  Of course, he only uses his binocular once (maybe twice) a year so I doubt he is capable of really evaluating the differences. The point is, only you can decide which is right for you.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
mikerabe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikerabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 23:31
The optics in the nikon 10x42 premier lxl are as good or better than the one's you have listed, better IMO. They are very well built and have an excellent warranty 25 year no fault!! You would not be disappointed with any on your list. You need to find out what is important to you then find out which of those fit your needs. If it is optical quality you want then the nikon lxl which is not on your list is the way to go in that price range IMO.  
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2006 at 03:17

Amen on the Nikon LXL's!!

Worthy of your consideration.

Check out Better View Desired, AC.

http://betterviewdesired.com/

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2006 at 14:12
Another vote for the Nikons.  If not that, then Leupold Gold Ring.
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2006 at 16:36

Thanks all for the comments I will also check out the Nikons. I looked them up on line and they also seem to fit the bill for being a quality bino and not quite as bulky as the Leica or Swaro.

For a bit less (although not much ) does anybody have any experience with the Zeiss Conquest or the Kahles? How would each stack up against the other?  Finally, I really like the Zeiss Victory FL BUT those are past my spending limit.  I noticed that here at the store they still have the Zeiss Victory (looks like the first models from the pictures) does anybody have any opionons of those? Is the Victrory II really any different other than the strap mounts, opticall?  Finally, how would the Victory non FL series stack up against the Conquests or the Kahles?

Thanks all for the advice...please keep it comming

AC

- Anonymous

Narrow Gap View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Narrow Gap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2006 at 17:14
Acenturian, I can tell you really like and want the Zeiss Victory FL's. I would recommend you save a little more money and get the FL's. They are the very top of the line and you will not be sorry you bought them if you do. I started out with cheap binoculars, then I upgraded 3 times. I know own the Zeiss Victory 8X56 T* P*. I think they are the very best bino's for low light and that is what i bought them for. I really wanted them so I keep saving because I knew they are a superior bino. Hope this helps in your decision.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2006 at 00:23

Thanks Narrow it may have helped in my decision but not so much on my pocket book LOL.

I still need to do a side by side look at all of them and really see if I can see a difference or what looks good to my eyes.

AC

- Anonymous

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2006 at 09:48

Make sure you look through the Nikon LXL.  Most find it equal to or better than the Zeiss FL.  And, it in you budget.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2006 at 12:48
Acenturian,

You really have to figure out what you can spend on this.  If the limit is $1300 as stated in your original post, then go with Nikon LXL and never look back.  If you can spend the money on an FL, do that.  I'd suprised if you see the difference though.  The color rendition of LXL is as good as or better than Zeiss, while Zeiss FL may be marginally brighter (very marginally).

Alternatively, consider looking at Minox BD 44 BP 10x44 porros.  I had a chance to glance through them the other day and I was shocked.  I did not spend enough time with them to tell for sure, but I think they are as good as Nikon Premier Porros.  I would put them up against any roof prism binocular in the world, regardless of cost, and on top of it, they are actually a couple of ounces lighter than Zeiss FL and offer better depth perception.

Also, if you want to do serious low light viewing with a 10x binocular, a larger objective lens is important (44mm lens gives you 9.75% larger exit pupil area than 42mm lens).

I am seriously considering breaking my German product ban and getting a pair to replace my 10x50 IORs.

ILya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2006 at 15:05

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Alternatively, consider looking at Minox BD 44 BP 10x44 porros.  I had a chance to glance through them the other day and I was shocked.  I did not spend enough time with them to tell for sure, but I think they are as good as Nikon Premier Porros.  I would put them up against any roof prism binocular in the world, regardless of cost, and on top of it, they are actually a couple of ounces lighter than Zeiss FL and offer better depth perception.

Wow, that's quite a statement about the Minox!!

Minox are very good binos.

Funny how the forum is really pitching the LXL's. Me included.

They are hard to beat. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2006 at 15:12
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Wow, that's quite a statement about the Minox!!

Minox are very good binos.

Funny how the forum is really pitching the LXL's. Me included.

They are hard to beat. 

I need to spent more time with Minox porros, but I was very impressed.

As for Nikon LXL, they are as good as the expensive stuff for less  money.  However, it looks like they are facing some very stiff competition from Minox HG.  I've seen people compare them favorably to Zeiss and Swarovski.

ILya
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2006 at 20:44

UPDATE:

Thanks all for the advice.  I went to a local shop, well still two hours away BUT they carried the Zeiss Victory, Leica Trinovids, Swarovski SLC, and the Nikon LX  series. They were nice enough to let me look at them out and about and I must say I was very impressed with the Nikons and was not so impressed with the Zeiss.

The Zeiss had a great veiw very crisp and clear, but they were too light in weight for a 10x binocular.  I had a hard time holding them steady in a parking lot store, I cant imagine huffing and puffing up canyons during deer, bear, and pig seasons. 

The Leica and Swarovski were just about the same view. However the Swarovski felt better in hand both were a bit heavy but the Leica felt "blocky" to me the Swarovski had nice cut outs for your thumbs.

The Nikons were very nice, and felt good in hand. I also checked out the Leupold Golden Rings nice but not in the same league as the others in my opinion. 

So what I went with ....Tasco...just kidding. I went with the Swarovski SLC they just felt right in my hands.  Optics on all of them was incedible so it pretty much came down to feel and I liked the SLC the best.  Thanks again all for your help on this, I appreciate the advice that people took the time to give.  Thanks again.

AC

- Anonymous

bigdave2006 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdave2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2006 at 20:50
not in time 

i would of said save $500 and get the kahles

just got a pair for hunting and the work great, just my opinion though, no side by side testing

dave
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 06:08
Congratulations on the Swaros AC. I look forward to seeing your further comments on them as time passes.
Frank
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2006 at 14:09

Thanks Frank..I will post up on the Swaro's when I can really take them out and about this next season.  I'll let everyone know how they stack up since one of my Zeiss buddies said he is getting a new pair of FL's and my other friend just got a pair of Leia's with the range finder, so well see.  Im also going to spend a great deal of time comparing them to my Swift Audubons and see if there is a great deal of difference...so well see.

Bigdave: thanks for the advice on the Kahles.  Actually, I had the money saved then had to use most of it for around the house (Advice all..buy a new home old ones look nice but drain the pocket book) anyways I was going to go with the Kahles. My dad's friend has a pair and they are very very nice. HOWEVER, work came through and I had a retro-active check waiting for me and it just covered the cost of the Swaros, so it was like free money that I didnt know I had coming to me, so I figured why not? Plus the Mrs. Ace told me to go for it..merry X-mass to me LOL

Take care

AC

- Anonymous

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic