OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Library books for bookworms...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 46>
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2021 at 17:39
charles miller - battle bundu first world - AbeBooks                     Shocked

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2021 at 17:52
The Lunatic Express: An Entertainment In Imperialism by Charles Miller

I already have The Lunatic Express! ( A First Edition!  Light It Up ).....I'll have to get the BUNDU!!!!   Yep, Thought So

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2021 at 08:34
wonders tropics or explorations adventures henry m stanley other world  renowned travelers - Used - AbeBooks

I've got one of these. (1889)

Doctor Livingstone I presume?, 1871. The historic meeting between Henry  Morton Stanley (1841-1904)..., Stock Photo, Picture And Rights Managed  Image. Pic. HEZ-2323243 | agefotostock

Edited by Son of Ed - August/26/2021 at 10:15
Visit the Ed Show
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/26/2021 at 16:05
the local hospital where I grew up was called HM Stanley
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2021 at 06:38
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

The Lunatic Express: An Entertainment In Imperialism by Charles Miller

I already have The Lunatic Express! ( A First Edition!  Light It Up ).....I'll have to get the BUNDU!!!!   Yep, Thought So

Tell the truth Ed, Lunatic Express is your autobiography under a pseudonym...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2021 at 06:38
Now I need a nap after the use of those big words...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2021 at 08:20
....and he spelled them correctly......  Light It Up
Visit the Ed Show
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/27/2021 at 09:42
I had to look them up...
--Thomas Jefferson

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/28/2021 at 19:32
Amazon.com: African Kaiser: General Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck and the Great  War in Africa, 1914-1918 (9780425283714): Gaudi, Robert: Books

Well I just finished this. As soon as I regain my composure I will start something else. But you guys need to read this.

I guess I will be ordering this immediately. 

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/29/2021 at 20:08
The Death Ship by B. Traven

Welp....THE DEATH SHIP is the winner. Another B. Traven treatfest....

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2021 at 09:08
TheDeathShip.jpg

A picture of a First Edition of THE DEATH SHIP published in German in 1926.

It was translated in English---or at least published in English---B Traven said he actually wrote it in English----in 1934. The English version is longer than the original German edition.

Bruce Catton called the book "..a startling novel about the horrible things that can happen to a man in the cock-eyed post-war world of Europe if he can't prove he is who he says he is..."

It has been said---unproven--that Albert Einstein named THE DEATH SHIP as the book he would like to take with him to a desert island. 

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2021 at 09:10
WWI, 11 March 1917. Port stern view of the 3509 ton British merchant ship,  Wordsworth, captured by the German armed merchant raider, S… | Ship,  Merchants, Steamship

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2021 at 09:56
Support Independent Bookshops in Wales - Wales Arts Review

https://www.ozy.com/around-the-world/the-tiny-Welsh-town-of-a-million-books!

Hay-on-Wye Guide: The Adorably Cute Book Town of Wales | solosophie

Hay on Wye Map Great Britain Latitude &amp;amp; Longitude: Free Wales Maps                                                    Reader Manuscript Hay-on-Wye

Visit the Ed Show
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2021 at 01:00
Hay is wonderful!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2021 at 10:14
Weird History on Twitter: &amp;quot;In 1917, the Zeppelin L59 flew on a mission to  Africa, covering 4,200 miles in 95 hours - still the longest non-stop  military flight ever.… https://t.co/ajZoh20olu&amp;quot;

The Ghosts of Africa by William Stevenson

In the midst of reading this "historical fiction" based on fact but changed around a little bit. 

Colonel Paul Von Lettow-Vorbeck commanded soldiers in German … stock image  | Look and Learn

A ZEPPELIN OVER AFRICA II | Weapons and Warfare

Your Detailed Guide to Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro (Updated 2021)

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2021 at 10:37
Aspects of the Novel by E.M. Forster

Reading E M Forster's lectures on writing

I miei libri... e altro di CiBiEffe: Edward Morgan Forster | Good novels to  read, Best novels, Novels to read

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2021 at 20:39
TARZAN AND THE LOST EMPIRE by Burroughs, Edgar Rice [cover and title page  art by Frank Frazetta]: Very Good Mass Market Paperback (1962) First Thus.  | biblioboy

I am now reading TARZAN AND THE LOST EMPIRE one of the more terrific ERB entries.....I first got this book mail-order back in 1963 from Ace.....40 cents plus postage......

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2021 at 06:45

Back in the old days (the 1950s) our elementary school library was full of these books about all kinds of American historical figures. I read a million of them, plus another series of books of the same type from another publisher. 

https://oldscrolls.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/Landmark-Books:-First-rate-history-series-for-readers-and-collectors......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmark_Books_(series)

Generation Past | Perspectives on History | AHA

Shop Landmark Book Series Collections: Art &amp;amp;amp; Collectibles | AbeBooks:  Keller Books

Edited by Son of Ed - December/04/2021 at 06:55
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2021 at 08:20
Children and Childhood in Western Society Since 1500 - 3rd Edition

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2021 at 12:51
The Tiger&amp;#39;s Prey (Courtney, #16) by Wilbur Smith

I picked this up in the library the other day while grabbing some DVDs. I can't put it down.

Just a few minutes ago I was looking up Wilbur Smith and I was astonished to learn that he had died three weeks ago!

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 46>
  Share Topic