OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for ar varmint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lefteyeblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for ar varmint
    Posted: September/17/2006 at 00:31
    I finally got the one I have wanted for years.  Rock River 24" 223 heavy barrel with a EOP(Elevated Optical Platform). Need some advice on what rings would be best.  Also advice on some scope options.  I plan on using this on jack rabbits, coyote, cotton tails, and punching paper.  I think I have narrowed the scope options down to four fine scopes in the variable power ranges of 4-14s, 5-16s, and 6-20s

1- Nikon monarch (mildot or BDC) If anyone has used the BDC I would like to hear their opinion.
       2- Leupold VX-lll (varmint reticle or mildot) This scope is above my high end for price, but I would really like some feedback on it.
       3- Bushnell elite 4200 mlidot
       4- Burris Signature (ball-plex or mildot)

I know  I said that I had narrowed it down.  Hey there are a lot of options out there. Thanks lefteye
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 22:31
On my varminter I went with a Elite 4200 6-24x40 with MilDot.

Of the choices above it costs the least and has the best glass.

As for rings, there are a lot of good rings out there.  I like Warne rings personally.

ILya
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2006 at 20:14

Looks like you've picked out some nice scopes for your rifle.  I don't any will disappoint based on your applications.  My personal preferences based on your list (from "best to worst") are:

1) Burris Signature Select;

2) Bushnell 4200

3) Nikon Monarch;

4) Leupold VX-III

To my eyes the Signature Select & 4200 are equal optically.  Price wise the Bushnell is an unbelievable value.  The Monarch is very good in it's own right.  The Leupold is a good scope but the worst value of the bunch and holds no advantage over any of the other scopes when compared based on reliability, optical quality & overall performance.

As koshkin mentioned, don't forget to use good rings. 

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 14:34

I would say the best value goes to the Burris Signature select 4-16x44 with the

Ballistic Mil-Dot and I would second Warne rings as bieng a great value.

rabbitwhacker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbitwhacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2006 at 15:34
i'd stay away from the high power stuff 4 jacks "n" yotes i run a 2x10 on my dr200 an a 4x16 on my 22-250
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic