OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Quality = Who is the "ELITE"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: What is the Highest Quality Brand?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [39.62%]
3 [5.66%]
9 [16.98%]
5 [9.43%]
4 [7.55%]
3 [5.66%]
5 [9.43%]
3 [5.66%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwiftKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Quality = Who is the "ELITE"
    Posted: September/15/2006 at 22:35
Ok, everyone's got their opinion on what is the best scope, there are just so many variables: weight, eye relief, objective size, zoom x, etc.  So instead of comparing individual scopes, lets just look at the quality of the brand.  Which of these brands do you think is the BEST?
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2006 at 22:39

SwiftKS

You made this one to easy watch a hundred people vote for the VX III

Zeiss VM does have better low light glass than the Swarovski PH though.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2006 at 17:14

I voted for Zeiss but S&B has a fantastic, well deserved reputation.

After Zeiss & S&B, I'd say Kahles CL, then Swarovski.  From there it's a crapshoot as to who's better.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2006 at 21:46

There is a very fine post by tbone1 in the members test and reviews section of the OT on this subject.

If you are allowed access please check it out it is of the highest order for hunting.

arky65 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arky65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 00:17

I do not own one but from all the shooting I have done and I have shot other peoples guns with all the above listed scopes and then some and the S&B are the best I have seen.

arky65

people that trade liberty for security become slaves
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 16:38
Which is the highest quality?  Probably S&B.  But you asked which is the best brand.  I'd have to go with Burris or Leupold, because they offfer something for everyone, cheapie to top of the line, all mags and uses, and give the best value.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 19:31

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

Which is the highest quality?  Probably S&B.  But you asked which is the best brand.  I'd have to go with Burris or Leupold, because they offfer something for everyone, cheapie to top of the line, all mags and uses, and give the best value.

At one time I'd agree 100% with this comment when it comes to Leupold.  I think they've slipped a little bit optically but they do a great job of covering every market segment available.  They're trying to protect their brand by asking higher prices while not improving optical quality.  I guess they're figuring that the customer will equate price with quality.  People are cross shopping Leupold with other makes more than ever with the advent of the internet.  It's going to bite them in the a$$ eventually (if they aren't already giving up market share with the VX-II, VX-III and Mark 4 price points).

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 19:31

US Optics didn't make the cut???

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 22:14
That would be two votes for US Otics

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 22:17
I agree with mwyates here.  The best brand is not the best scope, IMO.  It is the brand that offers us the most for the money.  That comes down to Leupold, Burris and Bushnell.

I think that Leupold is bit overpriced.  Between Burris and Bushnell, Bushnell has a broader broduct line on the low end, while Burris has a broader mid and high range.

It is a tough call and I'll go with the Burris, but I've got to say that Elite 4200 made me think about twice.

ILya
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 22:32
I should have included Bushnell as well.  I agree with most of what Koshkin says, but would add that Burris and Leupold have good handgun scopes (I like Burris better).  Burris is getting into the tactical market, but Leupold is way ahead on that.  Leupold probably has the advantage on target scopes, too. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2006 at 23:04
I do not think that Burris has any dedicated target scopes.  As for tactical market, Burris is just getting into that, although Burris XTR scopes seem to be quite a bit cheaper than Leupold's Mark 4, so I am not sure of they are competing for the same customer.

As for Bushnell, there lower priced line-ups of Banner and Trophy scopes are surprisingly respectable instruments and are often the "gateway" scopes for people just starting out.  As such, they are quite critical actually.  I generally would be more inclined to give greater weight to decent affordable scopes than to gazillion dollar tactical scopes because that is where my interests (and my walet) lean.  Had I been using a gun for a living, perhaps I would be see this differently.  However, I think there are a lot more guys out there like me than real operators.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 13:20

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I do not think that Burris has any dedicated target scopes.  As for tactical market, Burris is just getting into that, although Burris XTR scopes seem to be quite a bit cheaper than Leupold's Mark 4, so I am not sure of they are competing for the same customer.

The Burris XTR is a great scope in my opinion but I feel it is not competing against the Mark 4 at this time,

The customer for this type of scope in this price range will most likely go with the proven scope and will not be

to friendly for change. When I first saw this thread I was thinking strictly hiunting scopes and never thought of 

the great Tactical scopes like USO,Nightforce,IOR etc as bieng part of this poll if Tactical scopes are factored in these scopes will be right there at the top competing. With Elite Hunting and Tactical scopes my opinion of which scope is the best quality is that price should not be factored into this decision just overall perfotrmance and one should spend as much money as we can to get this performance, with hunting the chance of a lifetime trophy coming out in the dark and bieng able to clearly shoot and nail it or to defend yourself against a life threatning predator is well worth the extra money invested and as always a good investment will pay off in the long run and build confidence. I have been thinking for a couple of days now in which direction I want to go as far as my weapons and optics go and I have decided to sell all of my scopes exept for my military scopes and go stricly with S&B on all of my rifles. This is going to take a little bit of time and I am going to have to cut back on what I consider very bad habits that I have but I have a huge passion and devotion for most types of shooting and this decision will make me very happy.  I will continue my support of value minded optics like Burris,IOR, and many more brands that offer something for everybody at exellent prices and I will keep a eye out on all scopes at all price ranges to give my opinion here at the OT on which I feel is the best buy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 17:18
[QUOTE=SVD666]

[QUOTE

When I first saw this thread I was thinking strictly hiunting scopes and never thought of 

the great Tactical scopes like USO,Nightforce,IOR etc as bieng part of this poll if Tactical scopes are factored in these scopes will be right there at the top competing. 

My smart ass comment about "USO not making the cut" was in jest. 

I too thought that the original poster was refering to hunting scopes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 18:34

Your poll needs to be a little more specific, don't you think??

It's very vague. Need to list the models.

Respectfully,

Mark 

No votes for Nikon???

What's up with that??

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 18:42
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Your poll needs to be a little more specific, don't you think??

It's very vague. Need to list the models.

Respectfully,

Mark 

No votes for Nikon???

What's up with that??

Should have listened to me in the first place and this would not be such a suprise.

ILya
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 18:43
Thanks for the blue font cheap. I appreciate that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 18:45

Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Thanks for the blue font cheap. I appreciate that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 18:51

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Should have listened to me in the first place and this would not be such a suprise.

ILya

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2006 at 18:54
I think I might know who voted for Leupold.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic