OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Chambering Recomendations for SBR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chambering Recomendations for SBR
    Posted: March/27/2018 at 10:23

I'm overthinking allot her lately and want some advise or reassurance.   For a SBR AR what chambering would you recommend that would equate to the flattest shooting round out to say 250yds all while trying to keep a barrel length less than 14.5?   Maybe I'm chasing something that can't be done and need that told to me.

What I'm wanting is to be able to zero around 200 ish and still be within 1-3" at distance from 25yds - 250yds so I could still aim at the center mass of a running coyote or hog and without worrying about holdover make a quick shot.

My current thinking is a 10"-12" Grendel shooting the 90gr bullets around 2400ish FPS..... Thoughts?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2018 at 11:39
Look at a 6.8 spc.  They velocity drom from a 16" barrel to a 12" is not to bad.   With a 12" barrel and shoot 85 grain tsx bullets,  Data I am seeing is in the 26 to 2700ish fps

Also a 11.5 to 12" .223 and shoot 65 grain sierra game kings.  They do well on yotes. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2018 at 14:37
I didn't look at a short barrel... cause prolly not enough for hogs... but we love the .204 on yotes out to 300 yds
take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2018 at 18:05
You are overthinking it.

Within 250 yards, 5.56x45, 6x45, 6.8SPC and 6.5Grendel will be virtually indistinguishable from each other in terms of trajectory as long as you stay with bullets in the 75-110 grain range.  Even supersonic Blackout has MPBR for a 6" target of about 230yards with 110gr Barnes out of a 14" barrel.

Pick whichever cartridge you are already set-up for.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2018 at 20:09
At 200 yards, any 3 MOA rig will do.

I run SBRs and most are 556 running heavier bullets for caliber with fast twist. You can go exotic, but why? Do whatever you have ammo for, it’s 200 yards. You could throw a nail at 200 yards and kill a yote.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2018 at 21:02
I would curious as to which would be quieter.  I run a 10.5" 5.56 with a suppressor and it is still loud enough I like ear plugs.  I may build a short barrel 6.5 grendel just to see what happens.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2018 at 23:32
I do not think you will see any perceptible difference in sound with these calibers that are of similar velocity.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 09:25
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

You are overthinking it.

Within 250 yards, 5.56x45, 6x45, 6.8SPC and 6.5Grendel will be virtually indistinguishable from each other in terms of trajectory as long as you stay with bullets in the 75-110 grain range.  Even supersonic Blackout has MPBR for a 6" target of about 230yards with 110gr Barnes out of a 14" barrel.

Pick whichever cartridge you are already set-up for.

ILya

Thanks..... I'm going to look at using my blackout I already have with supersonic ammo and do some testing.... its an 8" barrel now but thinking slightly more would be better here but if I can make 8" work I will.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 10:06
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I would curious as to which would be quieter.  I run a 10.5" 5.56 with a suppressor and it is still loud enough I like ear plugs.  I may build a short barrel 6.5 grendel just to see what happens.

What can are you using?
Are you shooting indoors or heavy woods/other structures?

At its core, short barrel is loud barrel.

I run a 10.5" SBR quite often and it is comfortable outside and in open spaces, but yea, gets uncomfortable in environments where sound can bounce around.  If you are using a 30-cal can on a 223, I have found them to be louder, even though they have higher volume.  This is anecdotal, no metered data to substantiate it. 
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 10:14
I have a 16" and 8".  Mine lost around 200 fps with super sonic loads to the shorter barrel.  You will likely be around 2100 to 2200 with 110s and your 8" barrel.   
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 10:40
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have a 16" and 8".  Mine lost around 200 fps with super sonic loads to the shorter barrel.  You will likely be around 2100 to 2200 with 110s and your 8" barrel.   

...And it will be appreciably louder from an 8" than it was from a 16".
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 10:43
Indeed. The short barrels are crazy loud. 

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 13:35
remind me what SBR is again please.....
take em!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 13:43
Short barreled rifle.  Anything under a 16" barrel you have to pay a $200 tax and get permission from the ATF.

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 16:47
thank you Sir
take em!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/28/2018 at 18:13
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

What can are you using?
Are you shooting indoors or heavy woods/other structures?

At its core, short barrel is loud barrel.

I run a 10.5" SBR quite often and it is comfortable outside and in open spaces, but yea, gets uncomfortable in environments where sound can bounce around.  If you are using a 30-cal can on a 223, I have found them to be louder, even though they have higher volume.  This is anecdotal, no metered data to substantiate it. 

I am running the M4-2000 on the SBR.  If I went up to a bigger caliber, I would probably run my Specwar 762 on it.

I guess I have shot it in a few different venues.  Ranges, PD hunting, fields and woods.  All seems loud when shooting.  Standing 3 feet back when someone else shot wasn't bad at all.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2018 at 11:32
Mine is an 11.5 in 5.56, and to be honest, I can't tell much diff between it and a 16in one as far as noise. Both of them have the regular mil spec flash hider on them. 

Even when I shot it inside to get the red dot sighted in, I was expecting it to be way louder based upon what everyone here has said, and I didn't notice it either. With muffs on. 

I was shooting regular 55gr ammo. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2018 at 12:16
As I said, anecdotal.  Your anecdotes do not align with my anecdotes.

A shorter barrel means bigger fireball too.

My ARs, suppressed and unsuppressed, are appreciably louder as the barrels get shorter, same ammo, same can, same shooter observing.

Do you, Lockjaw, have any permanent hearing damage?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2018 at 18:15

eehhh???  Whadesay???

Lockjaw:

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/30/2018 at 20:22
.375 H&H

45-70 

well its the thought that counts Whistling  in an AR pistol length I like the 300 Blk but I've come to terms with the idea that sometimes its more important to have one ass stomping big heavy bullet than a whole herd of little ones. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic