OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

308 AR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 15:57
I just went and shot 20 rounds out of mine.  I forgot to bring my oil and it still ran perfectly.  My gas block was on my 6.5 creed and tuned for it.  It seemed just right for my .308 as well.  Recoil was very moderate.  I was pleased with it.

I was shooting some 165 grain hornday bullets with 43.5 grain or Varget.  I zeroed at 100 and then shot a few rocks at 400, 500, and 600 yards.  At 400 and 500 my ACOG BDC was very close.  At 600 I was a bit short.  I can live with that.  I can probably load those a bit hotter and mabye get that 600 a bit closer. 

Overall in the first 20 rounds, I really liked it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 16:19
Which ACOG are you using?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 16:29
TA33-C with the 7.62 triangle BDC
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2018 at 22:10
I think if I was putting this together for a defensive rifle system the ACOG would be sufficient but I see me using it more as a hunting gun so I think I'm still thinking this will wear the thermal.  Would rather have the extra umpff when using it over the Grendel, plus the grendel is so perfectly set up for me I hate to mess with it. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2018 at 15:57
So I just went out and tuned my Superlative arms gas block to my load.  It has wide open, restricted, and bleed off settings.  4 1/2 turns is wide open.  Anything below that is restricted and anything more than that is starts to bleed it out the front of the gas block.  1 3/4 turns from tight in the restricted setting had my brass ejecting at near 3:00.  It was not even denting them case mouth up.  That setting worked well.  At 1 1/2 I was ejecting at about 3:30 to 4.  I may run it at the 1 1/2 hoping that setting will work both with and without the suppressor. 

The bleed off didn't seem to work so well.  I ran it all the way to the end and it was still shooting the brass between 1 and 2:00.  So I guess I will run this one restricted.  Maybe the .308 just has to much gas for it. 

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 09:59

Finally got a chance to get a photo from last week uploaded.   Currently its wearing a thermal scope for a weekend coyote round up.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 10:55
I'd shoot THAT… looks like a good "put together"...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 11:33
ley us know how the 'round-up' goes!
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 13:21
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Finally got a chance to get a photo from last week uploaded.   Currently its wearing a thermal scope for a weekend coyote round up.

Nice! I may have missed it, but which thermal scope do you have?
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 14:54

I got this one a while back when they had a sale - https://swfa.com/armasight-2-8x25-predator-336-thermal-imaging-weapon-sight-178300.html

So far I like it... ok.  not all I had hoped for but for the budget I think its fine.  New to me but you may know the power range of 2-8 is really  2X, 4X, or 8X..... not a gradual increase but double steps.   At 8X resolution is out the window and making out detail is out the window... you can tell its a critter but not much about said critter.  Another interesting tidbit is the difference in POI from 100 to 50  I think the height of optic is the factor there.  zero'ed at 50yds its 5-7" high at 100 so finding the best sight in distance is my challenge.  I have it set at 100 currently and going to use during a coyote classic this weekend and see how it works.  I did shoot at hot hands packet at 200yds to see where it hit and it was 2" off so I'm thinking that's enough for a yote'.  Shooting 110gr loads so they are the flattest I can and max i'm shooting with this is around 200 so hoping it will do the job.  Case of setting up for just this tournament as I normally want something with more umpf behind it.

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 15:02

I got this one a while back when they had a sale - https://swfa.com/armasight-2-8x25-predator-336-thermal-imaging-weapon-sight-178300.html

So far I like it... ok.  not all I had hoped for but for the budget I think its fine.  New to me but you may know the power range of 2-8 is really  2X, 4X, or 8X..... not a gradual increase but double steps.   At 8X resolution is out the window and making out detail is out the window... you can tell its a critter but not much about said critter.  Another interesting tidbit is the difference in POI from 100 to 50  I think the height of optic is the factor there.  zero'ed at 50yds its 5-7" high at 100 so finding the best sight in distance is my challenge.  I have it set at 100 currently and going to use during a coyote classic this weekend and see how it works.  I did shoot at hot hands packet at 200yds to see where it hit and it was 2" off so I'm thinking that's enough for a yote'.  Shooting 110gr loads so they are the flattest I can and max i'm shooting with this is around 200 so hoping it will do the job.  Case of setting up for just this tournament as I normally want something with more umpf behind it.

Man, you are the first person I have ever heard that wasn't happy with their thermals. I thought you would be ecstatic. Most of all of my personal experience with them is on the Zues line though not the Predator. Although I didn't expect there to be that much of a difference between the two. I am sorry you don't like it. I still bet it trumps any other thermal for what the sale price was. If you decide you don't want it let me know. 

Edited by Chris Farris II - March/23/2018 at 15:12
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 15:46
Oh its still cool as hell but should be marketed as a 4x trying to get to 8x with it is just not good thinking on Aramasights part.  I'm spending field time with it this weekend and I'll also have a rather extensive review on it soon.  If I'm smart enough, with video.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 22:16

So far I like it... ok.  not all I had hoped for but for the budget I think its fine.  New to me but you may know the power range of 2-8 is really  2X, 4X, or 8X..... not a gradual increase but double steps.   At 8X resolution is out the window and making out detail is out the window... you can tell its a critter but not much about said critter.  

That's just the nature of thermal sights in general, bro...all of them I'm aware of, at least. They don't zoom optically, they zoom by digital interpolation. So, once you zoom, the image becomes very pixellated because it isn't adding any more detail, it's just enlarging the image seen at base magnification, which in your case is actually 1.6X. The advantage of zooming is seen more for things like zeroing the scope, where you are just putting the crosshairs in the center of a larger "blob." You have a low resolution detector of 336X240 pixels (as do I with my FLIR). If you step up to the next higher resolution detector, you can pretty much expect to add another $1500 at least to the price tag. I never zoom while hunting; I only use base magnification, and still the capability a thermal scope brings is awesome. When you're used to conventional optics, thermal is always going to have poor resolution in comparison. However, making out fine details is not the strength of thermal optics; it's in being able to see living things in stark contrast to the surroundings in pitch black darkness. Thermal is more effective than conventional NV in that regard because it doesn't amplify existing light, doesn't depend on some available light to work, and it makes anything warm stand out from its surroundings with extreme contrast. The darker it gets, the better it works. Critters also have a harder time hiding because you can see their heat signature behind foliage, grass, brush, etc. Even the highest resolution thermal optics don't have great resolution compared to a conventional optic, because you aren't seeing reflected light in the full color spectrum as you do with a conventional optic; you're seeing a heat map, and details seen are due to contrasting levels of infrared heat.

Keep in mind that if humidity is high you will also get lower resolution, so resolution seen on some nights will appear better than others.

Your Armasight Predator 336 is a very good thermal scope, especially for the price. The technology is still very expensive. To get the really exceptional thermal optics, you can expect to spend a minimum of $5K or so.

Edited by RifleDude - March/24/2018 at 11:15
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 23:40
Good summary.

Maybe I should do my next video on thermal vs night vision. I sorta work with these for a living.

ILya
Pirate Joe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2018 at 23:41
Rifle Dude you give me a Chubby 🍤
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 11:25
Originally posted by Pirate Joe Pirate Joe wrote:

Thanks Pirate! Unfortunately, if people stare too deeply into my eyes, 96.8% of the time it causes them to instantaneously fall in love.
Ted

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 12:31
Yes good info Ted!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 12:57
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Pirate Joe Pirate Joe wrote:

Thanks Pirate! Unfortunately, if people stare too deeply into my eyes, 96.8% of the time it causes them to instantaneously fall in love.

Aren't you guys related???

EEeeeeeewwwwwww...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 15:27
I'll check back on this thread when I hit the Lotto! 
take em!
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2018 at 15:31
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

So far I like it... ok.  not all I had hoped for but for the budget I think its fine.  New to me but you may know the power range of 2-8 is really  2X, 4X, or 8X..... not a gradual increase but double steps.   At 8X resolution is out the window and making out detail is out the window... you can tell its a critter but not much about said critter.  

That's just the nature of thermal sights in general, bro...all of them I'm aware of, at least. They don't zoom optically, they zoom by digital interpolation. So, once you zoom, the image becomes very pixellated because it isn't adding any more detail, it's just enlarging the image seen at base magnification, which in your case is actually 1.6X. The advantage of zooming is seen more for things like zeroing the scope, where you are just putting the crosshairs in the center of a larger "blob." You have a low resolution detector of 336X240 pixels (as do I with my FLIR). If you step up to the next higher resolution detector, you can pretty much expect to add another $1500 at least to the price tag. I never zoom while hunting; I only use base magnification, and still the capability a thermal scope brings is awesome. When you're used to conventional optics, thermal is always going to have poor resolution in comparison. However, making out fine details is not the strength of thermal optics; it's in being able to see living things in stark contrast to the surroundings in pitch black darkness. Thermal is more effective than conventional NV in that regard because it doesn't amplify existing light, doesn't depend on some available light to work, and it makes anything warm stand out from its surroundings with extreme contrast. The darker it gets, the better it works. Critters also have a harder time hiding because you can see their heat signature behind foliage, grass, brush, etc. Even the highest resolution thermal optics don't have great resolution compared to a conventional optic, because you aren't seeing reflected light in the full color spectrum as you do with a conventional optic; you're seeing a heat map, and details seen are due to contrasting levels of infrared heat.

Keep in mind that if humidity is high you will also get lower resolution, so resolution seen on some nights will appear better than others.

Your Armasight Predator 336 is a very good thermal scope, especially for the price. The technology is still very expensive. To get the really exceptional thermal optics, you can expect to spend a minimum of $5K or so.
The $5k pricetag was exactly what I told him also. Very well said post by the way. 
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic