OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

choice between 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: choice between 2
    Posted: February/21/2018 at 18:23

so I am looking at two different optics here to go on my new ar-15 for hunting predators..

one being the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 AR BDC Reticle..

and I have looked though it

or the  Burris M-Tac Riflescope 1.5-6x42mm Ballistic Ar Reticle

have not looked though this one

but looked though the smaller magnification version and I was impressed..

I don't hunt on a real big place  so I don't need a lot of magnification..

6 is fine for the highest power

I like both reticles  I need something I can target fast with and even use while something is on the run

so what do yall think 

Edited by CD82 - February/21/2018 at 19:10
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2018 at 19:04
Hello Casey...
I haven't played with either scope, so I can't answer your question about these two specific scopes.

However, please honor the Forum Rules you agreed to when you setup your account, specifically Rule #3:

Optics Talk is provided by SWFA, an optics retailer. It's bad form to use the website SWFA provides for your use to discuss buying products from their competitors that SWFA carries. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2018 at 19:10
fixed
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2018 at 19:54
I haven't looked through either one. But, the 42mm objective on the Burris has a much higher exit pupil in low light that coyote move in.
Doug
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2018 at 20:06
Strike eagle blows imo. I have a burris 1.5-6x42 euro and its an excellent scope imo. Great in low light
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2018 at 20:20
I like a lot of Vortex scopes, but Strike Eagle is not one of them.  It is the same basic design as a bunch of other Chinese scopes (same OEM) and I am not a fan, to put it mildly.

If you are looking for something with a true 1x on the low end, Burris RT-6 is a much better design.  I did a review of it a little while back and liked it a lot.

That having been said, I am not sure why true 1x on the low end is all that critical for your application, so a 1.5-6x42 MTAC may be your best bet in this price range.  It is available with two reticle, of which I prefer the Ballistic AR one.

Generally, 1.5-6x42 is a very underrrated configuration and it would work well for you, I think.

ILya
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 09:54
I would go with the Burris MTAC.

I was going to mention considering the RT-6 to save some weight if you wanted to. Since it is on such a low power the exit pupil would only really be affected on 5 & 6 power. The MTAC and the 42mm objective is lighter than the RT-6 though, so I say stick with the MTAC. 
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 10:23

Just curious.... are you open to other options?   If so, few questions that might allow us to suggest something you may not have thought of and would potentially work better or reaffirm current recommendation of the Burris's mentioned above.

• What's your budget?
  • Do you want capped or exposed turrets?
  • Max shot distance you're looking at?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 12:49
Budget between 4 and 500... max distance maybe 200 yards.i also have a buddy that goes that carries a 243...or I take mine..the capped or exposed turrets don't really matter... I'm liking the mtac so far..the ballistic reticle I seem to like it better than the ar reticle...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 12:52
IMO at a max of 200 yards you don't really need a ballistic reticle or target turrets.  I think you would be better off spending that money on better quality optics vs a few bells and whistles that really are not needed. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 12:56
1.  Exposed turrets can turn when you don't want them to, so capped is usually a good fit, unless you plan on making lots of dope changes, which 200 yards doesn't require.
2.  On what is it going?  It matters due to eye relief (AR very different than bolt gun) and mounts.
3.  Running animals get lost in almost anything but a red dot, or a true 1X.
4.  Shooting from a blind, tree stand, other?

You have a few options, choose wisely!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 12:58
Originally posted by CD82 CD82 wrote:

Budget between 4 and 500... max distance maybe 200 yards.i also have a buddy that goes that carries a 243...or I take mine..the capped or exposed turrets don't really matter... I'm liking the mtac so far..the ballistic reticle I seem to like it better than the ar reticle...

I think you will be happy with the MTAC.  For your distances and use, it should work nicely and well within your budget.

ILya
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 12:59
Hunting on the ground and I'm putting this scope on an aero precision ar-15...
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 13:08
I like the ar reticle and I also like the cq reticle... I'm thinking I may be more partial of the cq circle reticle...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 14:12
Max distance of 200, need for field of view, that screams red dot to me, but opinions will vary.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 14:16

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-1-4x24-tactical-30mm-riflescope-kit-111029.html

I think this would also be a good fit.  true 1x on the bottom end and 4x is more than enough for 200 yrds.  With the illumination it could be used similar to a red dot on 1x

Plus comes with the mountWink

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 18:00
im also thinking about getting a 4-12  power scope and then throwing a fastfire dot on top of it or something... 
CD82 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CD82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2018 at 20:34
what about the Burris Predator Quest Rifle Scope in 2-7x35mm??   with the ballistic plex e1
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 07:48

For 200 yrd max I don't think you'll need 12X..... I think you'd find it was to much but to each his own. 

I have a had time myself controlling "too much scope"...... I always want to be able to shoot groups on the range in tight little cloverleaves but know on certain guns that wear low variables, 1-4's and such that I use for similar hunting you do that 1" groups do the job for those distances and work far better for quick shots, which often present themselves for this type of hunting.....

Don't get me wrong a more powerful scope and red dot is very useful for certain applications.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2018 at 10:28
I like primary optic + red dot on an AR, it is a useful setup for point-blank to whatever.  

It sounds like you are going for more wants than needs, which is fine.

Truth be told, for a max 200 yard shot on an AR, you don't need a cool reticle and you don't need lots of magnification.  If this is hunting only, animals will walk or run out of your field of view quite often.

For hunting, I would prefer a plex reticle. Complicated reticles are very useful, but I have found I need significant time on the range to be comfortable enough to use it quickly in a hunting scenario. Plex is easy: zero and go.  

That said, I do like red dots, and have used the Fastfire quite a bit and do like it.  I don't think I would take it to war, but to the woods would be fine.

In the end, as I always recommend: get what you want, else you'll be buying again shortly.

One of my favorite setups for playing around in the woods is an 18" AR with an SS 3-9HD and a fastfire offset.  I've shot yotes on the run at 50 yards and hogs out to 400 without touching a button or turning a turret.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic