OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Crossfire II better than Viper HS???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remus Redbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossfire II better than Viper HS???
    Posted: February/11/2018 at 21:49
Hello all. I'm new here as a poster, but I've been reading here and other places around the web for many years. I'm a long term hunter / shooter who has owned / mounted / used dozens of scopes since the late 70's.

Last fall, I purchased a Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40mm for a bolt action 22, which was a step up for the 22, but not as high end a scope as I've been moving toward for my centerfire rifles. I chose this scope from features and reviews; I had never looked through one. When it arrived, I was completely surprised at the quality of every aspect. I put it on the 22, and it performed flawlessly.

At Christmas, my wife bought me a new gun, (1885 Winchester falling block, in 6.5 CM caliber), which obviously required a new scope. I snatched the Crossfire off the 22 and put it on the new gun until I could decide what I wanted. Since I had such a great experience with the Crossfire, I thought I'd move up in the Vortex line. I'm more of a hunter, so I chose a 4-16x50 Viper HS.

First trip to the range ended in disappointment. I couldn't get the new Viper clearly focused at 100 yards. My son (who still has good eyes) gave it a try and had the same issue. The best focus we could get was around the 100 yard mark on the side focus knob, but the target was still blurry. When I got home, I compared it to the Crossfire, and it was as expected, not nearly as clear.

Another disappointment, per specs on the Vortex web site, the Viper is supposed to have a 27.4' field of view at 100 yards at 4x & the Crossfire is supposed to have a 24.7' field of view at 100 yards also at 4x. Looking from my shop toward my house, which is exactly 300' away, I can see 2.5 of my carport openings with the Crossfire, which are each 10' wide for a total field of view around 25'. With the Viper HS, I can only see two openings and MAYBE 2' more for a total field of view around 22', which is 20% less than the published FOV spec.

1. So, did I get the latest Crossfire (it is a Crossfire "II") which is improved to a level better than the next line of products? 2. Did I get an old generation Viper HS that is not as good as a newer Viper (is there a Viper "II") ?
3. Or did I get a defective scope?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2018 at 22:57
I would call vortex and talk to them. They have amazing customer service. They will likely replace the scope for you with little to no questions asked. They are outstanding that way.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2018 at 07:34
Id say you got a dud.... Vortex will make it right for sure.  one of the best CS companies you will ever deal with.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2018 at 11:20
Yes call Vortex. They will take care of you.
Remus Redbone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remus Redbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2018 at 22:13
They are having me send it back to them
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remus Redbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2018 at 20:20
Vortex Viper 4-16x50 came back from repair today. No change that I could tell.

Vortex is going to send me something of better quality.

Hear are two scope views, both set at 4x, both pictures taken with a Galaxy S7 set at 2.5x to bring the image closer to full view on the screen. Camera was held where the full image was visible.   one scope was $180 new, the other $570

[IMG][/IMG]

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remus Redbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2018 at 22:50
Vortex came through by substituting a different model scope for the Viper HS.

The new scope is of much better quality, better field of view, and lighter weight. I'm happy.
alaska_guy View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alaska_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2018 at 17:36

I am not happy with their viper line either.  PST, HST HS etc.  I think their options are better, but the glass really isn't all that much better.

What scope model did they end up swapping you out for that you are happy with?

joe_sun View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joe_sun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2018 at 14:57
I had a similar experience. I grabbed a couple of Crossfire II 4-12 AO scopes that were on clearance for 90.00 each and threw them on a couple of 22s. Then I scored a closeout Diamondback 4-12x40 AO scope for 40.00 at Cabelas! Upgrade right? I sold one of the Crossfire II scopes.

Big mistake, when I got to the range I saw the CF II is clearer and has MUCH better CA than the Diamondback, so much so that I paid to send the DB back to Vortex to make sure something wasn't wrong with it, it came back as in perfect working order.

Recently I tried a Burris MTAC that retailed for 550.00 and the crossfire was nicer than it as well.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2018 at 20:21
Vortex without any issues replaced a Razor red dot that I had to drill the screw out of to remove it. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/21/2018 at 14:07
I bought a 6-24x50 AO Crossfire from SWFA a few years back. I have been shock testing it on a magnum springer and it is holding up well. The optics aren't great but serviceable for my purpose. The nice thing is the PA close focus' down to 10m.
If it fails I will send it in, and from what I've read here, Vortex will take care of it.
Doug
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remus Redbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2018 at 22:44

The new scope is of much better quality, better field of view, and lighter weight. I'm happy.
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2018 at 23:47
Originally posted by Remus Redbone Remus Redbone wrote:

O.K.,,,we got that the second time,,,so, what did they send you...?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remus Redbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2018 at 23:26
Razor HD LH 3-15x42

Sorry for the repeat post. Appears to be a cut & paste by me, but it definitely wasn't my intention. I looked in my history & I did visit Optics Talk on 3/22, so I must have done it somehow.   Half asleep web browsing I guess. I think I was attempting to copy and paste the same reply on the Marlin Owners forum.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Remus Redbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2018 at 23:28
And by the way; the Razor is now easily the highest quality scope I own among several Leupolds and a couple Burris'
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic