OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Golden Eagle HD 15-60x52mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Golden Eagle HD 15-60x52mm
    Posted: February/07/2018 at 16:52
Can anyone on this forum fill me in on this scope?  I've done a search, and wasn't able to find much about it.  I"m looking for a high-magnification scope for informal target and BR shooting with a .222R and 6 PPC.

First, where are they made?  Where does the glass come from?  Where are they assembled?

Anyone have experience with one and can compare it with other high-end scopes? 

I guess I had narrowed my search down to Nightforce and March until I ran into this scope in an ad.  It looks to have the magnification range I'd like, but I have no first-hand knowledge whatsoever of Vortex scopes.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2018 at 18:04
I tested it last year. Excellent Japanese scope from LOW.

It is a bit better optically than the 10-50x60 Sightron S3 and SV (non-ED) and likely better optically than any target scope for under $2k. Delta Stryker 5-50x56 is probably the only sub-$2k competition it has, but it is not easily available in the US.

ILya
South Pender View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2018 at 18:35
Thanks, ILya.  Sounds as though it is completely made in Japan.  That's a plus.  About the only thing I've found that I don't like is the weight--at just under 30 oz.  Just seems like an awful lot to load on top of a relatively small rifle!
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2018 at 18:55
That's very light for a high power variable.

If you want to go lighter with high power, you have to consider a fixed power scope, like the new Sightron.

ILya

Edited by koshkin - February/07/2018 at 20:56
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2018 at 00:04
Yes, you're right that high-magnification 30 mm. variables do weigh more.  Still, my March EP Zoom 36-55x52 scope weighs only 22.2 oz.  The Vortex Golden Eagle weighs 29.7 oz., almost a half pound heavier.
-Bertrand Russell
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2018 at 00:53
EP Zoom is a very different design with a very low ratio of magnifications because the zoom is done with the eyepiece with an effective zoom ratio of just a hair over 1.5x.

Golden Eagle has a 4x zoom ratio.  That is a different beast entirely.  If you do not need lower powers, you can save a lot of weight by buying fixed power target scopes like the new Sightron 45x45 or one of a few other available options.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote South Pender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2018 at 12:24
That's a thought, ILya (the Sightron 45).  We have a fairly big Sightron dealer in Canada.  The other, very similar, option would be the Nightforce 42x44.  They both weigh the same--20.5 oz. (Sightron), 20.7 oz. (Nightforce).
-Bertrand Russell
Nixterdemus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nixterdemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2018 at 03:28
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I tested it last year. Excellent Japanese scope from LOW.

It is a bit better optically than the 10-50x60 Sightron S3 and SV (non-ED) ...

ILya

I note the Vortex selling for $1500. In your optical estimation roughly how much should the non-ed SV cost in comparision? Do you feel the Vortex view is 5, 10, 15% better? I'm not sure how to quantify a bit.

I've searched though yet to find a review by you on the non-ed SV. I find a lot of SIII posts, but few on the SV. I'm also anxious to see your take on the ED SV. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic