OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 47>
Author
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2019 at 18:38
Image result for ray milland weekend bartender

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2019 at 20:22

Mackinlay's Shackleton Blended Malt Scotch Whisky

Quite delightful.  Smells of vanilla, ginger, and dutch apple with a floral hint.  First taste is of muscovado sugar and honey, dried cherries, apricots, mandarin orange and pineapple with a sweet dark chocolate glaze and finishes with a very light (very light) peat smoke.  Absolutely delightful.

This is patterned after Mackinlay’s Rare-Old Highland Malt Whisky taken on Earnest Shackleton's 1907 expedition to Antarctica.  In 2007 several bottles of the Mackinlay's Scotch were found at Shakelton's base camp, perfectly preserved.  A master brewer then tried to recreate the elixir... and, according to accounts, succeeded pretty darned well.  I can't testify to that, only to the excellence achieved.  
This is a great "get together" Scotch... good for deep discussions on the transdimensional implications of warp drive with a great cigar or pipe and good low background music from Brahms or Beethoven.
... and world peace...

Oh yeah,  and it's cheap, too...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2019 at 13:17
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2019 at 16:13
* ( Eduardo once passed out in the barn.....had the fragrance of manure and oats...) *    

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2019 at 20:30
Clyde Mays 110... Alabama Style Whiskey...
Nice, sweet bouquet (unlike anything Eduardo ever drinks) that has an odd afternote, nutty flavor with tastes of butter, caramel, apple, molasses... all with a real "kick".  Different, to say the least.  Some will hate it, some will find it intriguing.  
Highly mixable... I think it would probably make a fantastic Manhattan.  David Allen Coe would probably drink it straight from the bottle.  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2019 at 23:54
Image result for cruzan rum        Image result for bob hope pirates

" Yo-ho-ho!! "     

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2019 at 19:34
Naked Grouse... No longer a part of the Famous Grouse line, now standalone.  However, I believe it is an improvement.  I tried Naked Grouse a number of years back and it was good, but perhaps a little sweeter than I admired in a Scotch.  This is different.
A first whiff gives nuts and cherries... first taste is chocolate, pecans, caramel, and a slight note of peat.  The finish is long on rich dark cherry and lingering peat.  Not sweet, but smooth.  It is a blend of fine Scotches and in the mixture finds the best of them. 
This is a keeper, one to enjoy while reading a fine story ("The Forever War" or "The Marching Morons"), enjoying a fine cigar, listening to The Moody Blues at moderately high volume.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2019 at 20:45
Image result for sniffing brandy glass gif

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2019 at 20:53
anyone who likes the colorless stuff could never appreciate a fine Scotch... probably a genetic thing

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2019 at 03:58
Image result for sniffing water gif

Visit the Ed Show
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2019 at 09:05
Well my brother in law gave me a bottle of Macallan Gold for Christmas... I shall raise a wee dram to you all!
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2019 at 11:08
To Eduardo, a quart bottle is a wee dram...

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2020 at 10:31
Related image

Visit the Ed Show
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2020 at 12:31
I just tried a very interesting, unique whiskey last week that I really like -- Santa Fe Spirits' Colkegan single malt. Thanks again to Ilya for the heads-up on this one.

Despite the Irish or Scottish sounding name, this whiskey is from Ilya's neck of the woods - New Mexico. The really unique thing about this whiskey is it is made using very similar methodology as Scotch whisky - double distilled entirely of malted barley mash in a pot still, then aged in once-used oak casks -- but with a twist. The flavor is very similar to a smoky Islay style Scotch, except instead of using peat fires to dry the malted barley, Colkegan uses mesquite smoke. This is a "no age statement" whiskey, and I've heard maturation time is only 2 years, so it's a young whiskey (by the standards of this style). But, time in the barrels isn't the only barometer of optimal aging; the environment and the size and type of casks it's aged in plays an important role as well. SFS says that Colkegan is aged at 7000' altitude with wide swings in temperature and humidity, which they claim enhances their flavors and doesn't necessitate as long a maturation time. I don't know if that's just marketing fluff or if there's something to that, but it does agree with my taste buds.

SFS uses ex-bourbon casks for Colkegan's maturation, and I suspect that they're using smaller quarter casks to enhance the vanilla, caramel and spice notes in a shorter maturation period, especially since this is a small "craft" distillery. What I know is if I wasn't able to see the label, I would swear it was an Islay region Scotch.

On the nose, I basically get Lagavulin or maybe some iterations of Kilchoman. Not quite the punch of Ardbeg or Laphroaig, but you definitely get the smoky, briny character of the Islay single malts.

Taste-wise, I get vanilla, caramel, toffee, a touch of dark chocolate, and some spice and herbal notes along with a BBQ sauce-type flavor the mesquite smoke imparts. I was surprised that the flavor was considerably more "mellow" than the nose would lead you to believe. It has nowhere near the punch that a typical Islay single malt gives you, though it's still a bold-flavored whiskey.

On the finish, the unique mesquite smoke character starts to set itself apart from the typical peaty smoke flavor you get from Islay Scotch, along with the same general sweet notes fading away that you get initially. 

In short, I think most fans of the powerfully smoky Islay single malt Scotches will likely enjoy this one despite its young age, and I recommend giving it a try if you come across a bottle. It's reasonably priced, and I think you get a very good whiskey for the money...if you're a fan of Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Kilchoman, etc. The mesquite smoke gives it a uniqueness that is a nice change of pace, yet at the same time, it has a lot of the same familiar flavor profile that will make you think it was distilled in Scotland.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2020 at 12:46
They make a few different varieties of whiskey all in that general style, but with some differences.  The one I brought you is their "regular" stuff.  I slightly prefer their cask-strength one, but it was out of stock when I was heading your way.  I have picked one up since, so I will bring it over next time I visit.  They also have one finished in apple brandy casks, which I find to be a little harsher, but still quite nice.

I think it is closer to Kilchoman or Ardbeg than Lagavulin in terms of the experience, with Lagavulin being a fair bit smokier.  The distillery and their tasting room is an hour or so drive from me.  You should come visit.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2020 at 13:30
Interesting how taste perceptions vary. To me, Ardbeg is way smokier than Lagavulin. 

For the record, I want you to know I'm really liking this new tradition of you bringing gifts every time you visit! 

I will definitely make a point to visit in the near future, especially now that you've gained considerably greater firearms freedoms as a result of your recent defection from Kali.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2020 at 13:37
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Interesting how taste perceptions vary. To me, Ardbeg is way smokier than Lagavulin. 

For the record, I want you to know I'm really liking this new tradition of you bringing gifts every time you visit! 

I will definitely make a point to visit in the near future, especially now that you've gained considerably greater firearms freedoms as a result of your recent defection from Kali.

Who said anything about a tradition?

ILya
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2020 at 14:56
you just did, embrace it sounds like good company and whiskey
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2020 at 11:17
( Eduardo camped out all night in front of the liquor store so he could be first in line at the door...)   

Visit the Ed Show
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/27/2020 at 19:57
No one noticed... "the official OT whisk(e)y drinkers thread".  Today was a day to be celebrated... International Whisk(e)y Day... comes but once a year.  
Rum day is coming...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 47>
  Share Topic