OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

***THE OFFICIAL OT WHISK(E)Y DRINKERS THREAD***

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 47>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2018 at 12:29
On the subject of Glenmorangie, it is one of my favorite distilleries overall. If you want variety, Glenmo has it. They have something to offer in all price ranges and tastes it seems. It's tough to keep up with all their variants. 

I've liked everything I've tried so far from Glenmo, but I am annoyed by their tendency to come up with so many "no age statement" whiskies of late. This isn't unique to Glenmo, however; it seems most distilleries are increasingly omitting age statements. NAS Scotch in general kinda pisses me off. I think too often it's an example of marketing over substance. Badge whisky with less time (and with it, cost) involved in its production with pretentious-sounding marketing and fancy packaging, and sell it for more money. With the explosion of NAS whiskies, some of these distilleries seemingly put more effort into marketing hype and packaging artwork than into the actual whisky residing in the bottle. Age statements give the customer a better idea of the relative quality and care that went into its production. I believe the distilleries should be more transparent with the consumer on what they are buying, and single malt Scotch has always carried the reputation as a more premium product. 

Age statement or NAS, ultimately the proof of quality is in the tasting, and extra long maturation is no guarantee that any given whisky will be "better" than some other younger whisky. Your own taste buds provide the final verdict. But at least putting an age statement on the label gives the buyer a better idea of what they are getting for money spent as compared to a younger age whisky from the same distillery. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2018 at 17:42
I am very new to the whisky game. My first experience with scotch was sneaking a sip from dad's glass when I was maybe 9. It was horrible! I haven't liked it since. I started drinking bourbons and liked them a lot more. Well I didn't want a old memory of too young taste buds to tarnish a good scotch so I recently tried it again. I tried Johnny Walker Red Label. I couldn't overcome the sharp taste of the scotch. Is the red label a decent scotch or not? Will the Glemorangie be better for a newcomer?

On to the bourbons. I haven't had a whole lot or variety. I do like Makers Mark for sipping. Jack Daniels mixed with Sprite is surprisingly refreshing.
Stamp collecting since 2015
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2018 at 17:45
Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

I am very new to the whisky game. My first experience with scotch was sneaking a sip from dad's glass when I was maybe 9. It was horrible! I haven't liked it since. I started drinking bourbons and liked them a lot more. Well I didn't want a old memory of too young taste buds to tarnish a good scotch so I recently tried it again. I tried Johnny Walker Red Label. I couldn't overcome the sharp taste of the scotch. Is the red label a decent scotch or not? Will the Glemorangie be better for a newcomer?

On to the bourbons. I haven't had a whole lot or variety. I do like Makers Mark for sipping. Jack Daniels mixed with Sprite is surprisingly refreshing.

Try Blantons 👍🥃..   

No Sprite 😂😂😂😂😂!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2018 at 18:25
I once SAW a bottle of Red Breast!!!   Big Grin
Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2018 at 19:22
😂🥃💥

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2018 at 19:33
Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

The thing about Scotch is, there's such a huge variation in styles and flavor profiles that one brand and variation of Scotch can taste completely different from another made in a different distillery in a different region of Scotland...so much so that one might think they're from entirely different classification of spirits. So, whenever I hear someone say that they tried Scotch once and hated it but like other types of whiskies, I can't help but believe they simply tried one of a style that doesn't suit their taste. Or, they tried a cheap blend. Not all Scotch is created close to equal. The thing that makes Scotch "Scotch" is that is whisky distilled in Scotland out of malted barley then aged in oak barrels for no less than 3 years. Apart from that, there can be many differences in distillation and aging techniques that have a profoundly different effect on the end result. Some Scotch whiskies can be very smoky and therefore can taste harsh and bitter to someone trying it for the first time. Others have no smokiness whatsoever.

Even when taking account the differences in flavors between distilleries, on top that, there are 2 main classifications of Scotch whisky -- single malt Scotch and blended Scotch. Single malt Scotch is whisky made at a single distillery, and blended Scotch, as its name implies, is a blend of single malts from multiple distilleries. The Johnny Walker Red you tried is a blend, and is considered their "low end" blend. I haven't tried JW Red, so I can't identify its taste to compare to something else. I only have single malts in my booze cabinet and haven't had a blend in a long time. All those I mentioned in my OP are single malts.

Bourbon has many things in common with Scotch in its production, except instead of being distilled from malted barley, it's distilled from at least 51% corn (though may also contain rye or other grains in its mash bill, provided corn comprises at least 51%). Corn mash generally makes Bourbon a bit sweeter than Scotch on average.

If you like bourbon, I think Balvenie Doublewood 12 has close to a Bourbon flavor to my tastebuds. Glenmorangie Original 10 is not far off, as it is matured in ex-Bourbon barrels. Neither are quite as sweet as Bourbon. Both are good "introductory" Scotches to try. Another good intro single malt Scotch to try is Dalwhinnie 15. It doesn't taste anywhere close to Bourbon, but it is light and mellow, and has a honey-like sweetness to it.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2018 at 20:02
Thanks I'll give them a try. I know I haven't had enough variety to say I don't like scotch. I just know I didn't like the ones I've tried. I'm always open to try most anything.
Stamp collecting since 2015
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2018 at 20:12
Another thing to consider is the "younger" whiskies are generally harsher than older aged whiskies. Longer maturation in the oak barrel imparts more complex flavors and tends to round off the hard edges. On the negative side, longer maturation period also increases the price, sometimes considerably.
Ted

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2018 at 07:11
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I think Glenmorangie as a whole brand is usually a good choice for "introductory" single malts. I say usually, because they keep coming up with so many designer variations on the same basic signature style with fancy-sounding sub-names that it's hard to keep up with them all. Their signature style is a more mellow, approachable flavored single malt than most. I recommended their 10 year old Original version as an intro Scotch as much because it is inexpensive as its mellow, non-harsh flavor profile. That way, if one doesn't like it, they aren't out much money, and if they do like it, it's a good intro to Glenmo's more expensive offerings.

For clarification on Lasanta, it is only "finished" in sherry casks for the last 2 years of its maturation, not entirely matured in sherry casks. The first 10 years, it's aged in ex-bourbon casks, the same as all Glenmorangie whiskies. I agree it's excellent, and also agree that it would be a good choice for someone interested in trying a single malt for the first time. I think the same can be said for their other two 12-year old single malts, Nectar D'Or and Quinta Ruban. These 4 make up Glenmo's so-called "core" group of whiskies, which is to say the 4 most commonly found in stores, and the 4 that are at least somewhat inexpensive (by single malt Scotch standards, that is). Lasanta, Nectar, and Quinta all start out as their same 10-year old Original, that then are "finish" matured for an extra 2 more years in different types of casks. Lasanta is finished in ex-sherry casks, Nectar D'Or is finished in ex-Sauternes wine casks, and Quinta Ruban is finished in ex-port wine casks. All 3 are outstanding IMO, only different. Of those 3, I like Nectar D'Or the best personally, followed by Quinta Ruban and Lasanta.

For clarification on Lasanta, verbally, finishing and aging are the same thing... merely implies the movement of the product from one cask type to another... for extra "aging".  Sometimes called "maturing"...  merely taking on qualities imparted by the sherry to the wood of the cask. In most cases, it mellows the taste, adds new flavors the oak-bourbon casks are not capable of. 

I prefer the Lasanta of those mentioned, but overall, I prefer the original Glenmoranie Finished in Sherry Casks:

"A Glenmorangie finished in Sherry Casks that demonstrates clearly the effects finishing can have on a whisky. The distillery character is there but you can definitely taste the Oloroso. This is aged for a total of 12 years despite there being no age statement on the bottle."

At 19, in the US, one is considered "too young" to drink.  At 21 they are considered to have matured enough to drink.  In the whole process, they have still aged.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2018 at 14:06
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

For clarification on Lasanta, verbally, finishing and aging are the same thing... merely implies the movement of the product from one cask type to another... for extra "aging".  Sometimes called "maturing"...  merely taking on qualities imparted by the sherry to the wood of the cask. In most cases, it mellows the taste, adds new flavors the oak-bourbon casks are not capable of. 

I prefer the Lasanta of those mentioned, but overall, I prefer the original Glenmoranie Finished in Sherry Casks:

"A Glenmorangie finished in Sherry Casks that demonstrates clearly the effects finishing can have on a whisky. The distillery character is there but you can definitely taste the Oloroso. This is aged for a total of 12 years despite there being no age statement on the bottle."

At 19, in the US, one is considered "too young" to drink.  At 21 they are considered to have matured enough to drink.  In the whole process, they have still aged.

I'm not confused by the terms and didn't contradict any of that, Dan. I said it wasn't entirely matured in sherry, as your original statement about it would seem to imply. Of course finishing is aging, though the word "finishing," as per the meaning of the word, is a term used by the industry to mean a shorter duration of time in a specific cask type distinctly different from the original cask used for the majority of the aging, done at the end of the maturation period. I was merely pointing out that only 2 years of its 12 years of aging was spent in sherry casks; the remaining 10 in bourbon casks, that's all. This is important because it has a distinctly different taste than a whisky that has spent its entire maturation period in a sherry cask, as it still retains the characteristic vanilla notes that the bourbon casks impart to Glenmo Original.

The original Sherry Wood Finish Glenmo was discontinued and replaced by Lasanta sometime around 10 years ago as part of a rebranding campaign. Though some variation in taste over time isn't uncommon with most distilleries, Lasanta is supposedly the same thing as the old Glenmo Sherry Wood Finish, except with a different looking label, new sub-name, and an age statement added.
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2018 at 15:13
I haven't tried Aberlour 16 Double Cask, but have tried their 12 and have some of their 18 at the house. Given I really like 12, and I love 18 and A'bunadh, I have no doubt I'd like the 16 too.
Ted

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2018 at 16:12
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2018 at 19:06
This is not going to be terribly popular, but while I generally like Glenmorangie whiskys, their Sherry finished stuff is just not great.

Try sherry finished Kilchoman and you will understand.  Ted, do you want me to bring you one when I come visit? (yes, folks, there are certain whisky benefits to being friendly with the Dark Lord...)

ILya

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2018 at 19:38
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

We aren't sure what Speyside we will have when we put my friends Gordon Setters ashes out in front of my beach on Gitchie Gumee. We are looking for the distillery closest to Gordon Castle.
One thing for sure, there will be Ugly Dog Vodka for Sadie's ashes at the same time.

👍🥃🐶. I’ve done it a number of times my friend.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2018 at 21:39
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Try sherry finished Kilchoman and you will understand.  Ted, do you want me to bring you one when I come visit? (yes, folks, there are certain whisky benefits to being friendly with the Dark Lord...)

ILya

Yes sir! Thanks in advance!

Did you expect me to say something different? Ha!
Ted

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2018 at 22:06
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

We are looking for the distillery closest to Gordon Castle.

It looks to me like that may be Inchgower, which according to Google Maps, is located about 8 miles NE of Gordon Castle.
Ted

Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2018 at 03:30
Some of the Sherry finishes can be a "little interesting". I suspect not the easiest thing to get right. Thought when it works is great

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2018 at 03:59
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I'm not confused by the terms and didn't contradict any of that, Dan. I said it wasn't entirely matured in sherry, as your original statement about it would seem to imply. Of course finishing is aging, though the word "finishing," as per the meaning of the word, is a term used by the industry to mean a shorter duration of time in a specific cask type distinctly different from the original cask used for the majority of the aging, done at the end of the maturation period. I was merely pointing out that only 2 years of its 12 years of aging was spent in sherry casks; the remaining 10 in bourbon casks, that's all. This is important because it has a distinctly different taste than a whisky that has spent its entire maturation period in a sherry cask, as it still retains the characteristic vanilla notes that the bourbon casks impart to Glenmo Original.

The original Sherry Wood Finish Glenmo was discontinued and replaced by Lasanta sometime around 10 years ago as part of a rebranding campaign. Though some variation in taste over time isn't uncommon with most distilleries, Lasanta is supposedly the same thing as the old Glenmo Sherry Wood Finish, except with a different looking label, new sub-name, and an age statement added.

It is NOT the same...

Yes, if a scotch spends its entire aging process in sherry casks, it will be unique indeed, not common, generally above average... try Glenfarclas 17.  Then, if you feel really ambitious, try a 40 year old... it'll change your life.

So, Ted, in the last two years of your life... were you maturing or aging???

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2018 at 05:42
Cheers
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2018 at 09:11
Ted, Dan are yall gonna fight over scotch too? I suggest you two settle this like gentlemen and have a duel. Back to back armed with ten bottles of your favorite varieties of scotch, take ten paces, turn and match each other drink for drink. Last man standing wins.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 47>
  Share Topic