OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight cool reticle Scope recommendation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight cool reticle Scope recommendation
    Posted: January/09/2018 at 00:28
Need help finding something to fit my new backpacker rifle build. I will be hunting out to 400 yards and plinking steel out to 600. I would like the scope to be around 11-12 ounces or less. Id like to spend around $500 or less and am looking for a good value. Optical quality is more important to me than turret quality because i dont spin much. Oh, and i HATE, boring duplex reticles. Must have a reticle with some hold over points.

Please help me find something guys
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 06:19
How about the Sightron Big Sky 3-12x42 with milldot reticle. It weighs 12.6 ozs. Another would be the Sightron Big Sky 3-9 x 42 with the hunter holdover reticle.It weighs 13.4 ozs.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 09:56
Leupold 2.5-8x is a classic answer. I have no coolness gauge to measure the B&C reticle.

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 10:35
What caliber?
What rifle?
What is your marksmanship skill level?
How well do you understand drop reticles and wind calls?
How often will you be shooting (rounds/year will suffice)?

With that, I can begin recommendations.  Short of that...

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 12:19
Get the 3-9x SS and call it a day

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
kykamo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 12:22
I think my problem is im going to the companies main web sites and see lots of their models are being discontinued. I remeber hearing a "Big Sky" but there's none on their website. And the Leupold 2-8 cant be ordered in the B&C reticle anymore?? Curse leupold for taking away what few over priced reticle option they already had!

To Rancid Coolaid
  • 6.5 Creedmoor
  • Just a Ruger American Predator
  • Decent. On my best day ill get 1 MOA at 600 yards, worst day, 1.5
  • Wind calls im leanring. Starting to get quite consistent. Pretty sure i under stand drop reticles fully. Perhaps what your getting at is whether a bdc reticle with few but simple holdover points to generally get you where you want with a typical zero and typical hunting caliber vs consistently measured hash marks you need to figure out yourself. Im good with either, but for the later i would like the reticle to be designed well organized to find the dot/hash you need quickly. I dont prefer having to count my hashes in a hunting situation
  • 3-400
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 12:54
I think for what you are looking to do, you have to up the price range a bit and the weight budget a bit.

I am sorta on the record that I think holdover reticle in SFP scopes are not a good idea, so look for a FFP option.

There, you best is to either get SWFA SS 3-9x42 or Burris Veracity 2-10x42.  Both can be had for around $600.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 12:56
Great caliber, has some legs, and ballistics way past 600 are quite good.

If you are good with mil-based reticles, I would take that every time over a "calibrated" reticle that is wrong in all but exactly one set of circumstances.  A mil reticle (or MOA if you prefer) is consistent, a mil is a mil is a mil, no matter the range.

I too am not a huge fan of lots of hashes with no numbers, and many make holdover reticles for us.

Another piece of gear I would recommend is - well, 2 pieces: a log book for shot details and a Kestrel weather station.  Nothing gets more frustrating than not having the details that explain why the zero shifted more than a mil (temp, altitude, changes in pressure); and a log book slows you down, improves the quality of your data, and makes you think about details that help make you a better marksman.

I have gear for reloading, but 6.5 ammo is relatively inexpensive, and factory stuff I have found to be quite good.  For hunting, I usually run 129-gr Superperformance SST, and target work is done with Prime ammo's great match stuff, 129 or 142, I forget offhand.

Plinking is fun, and ringing steel at any range is very rewarding; but knowing where the shot is going based on environmental details, that is very, very confidence-inspiring.  And shooting is a confidence game.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 12:58
If you really want to go lighter, consider Leupold FX-3 6x42 fixed power scope.  You can have Leupold Custom Shop put in a simple holdover reticle.

If you insist on a SFP scope, stay away from overly complicated reticle.  Something with a couple of extra holds to be used at max power only is your best option.

For that, consider Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40.  I just looked and the version with G4 BDC reticle is on sale, so that may be a good option:

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 13:01
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I think for what you are looking to do, you have to up the price range a bit and the weight budget a bit.

I am sorta on the record that I think holdover reticle in SFP scopes are not a good idea, so look for a FFP option.

There, you best is to either get SWFA SS 3-9x42 or Burris Veracity 2-10x42.  Both can be had for around $600.

ILya

Of those 2, I have lots of experience with the SS and none with the Burris.  That said, if you plan to never spin turrets (and would rather not risk them spinning without you knowing), the Burris turret will better fit your purposes.  I prefer a slightly busier reticle, like a Gen2 XR, but that will make the budget that much more challenging.

Favorite right now is this - and it is on my 6.5 Creedmore:

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 13:40
I am very fond of Gen 2 XR, but to get that reticle you get into a substantially more expensive (and heavier) type of scope.

The Veracity is a hunting version of XTR II and the 2-10x42 is a very nice scope.

ILya
kykamo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 13:59
Great help guys, were to start.

Rancid, i agree a lot with you and ill take your advice

Koshkin, you are a sage. Guess whats sitting on my >10lbs rifle... a Veracity 2-10! And i love it. I like the "warm" image it has over my friends vortex's. My only issue iv learned is the heavy weight and, imo, short eye relief.

So now im building a lightweight rifle i can carry more conveniently. Its a 18" barrel 6.5 CM, hence not a dedicated 1000 yard gun, lest i get that good.

I totally agree with your points on holdover = no sfp. But for this rifle im not too worried about sfp because while hunting, ill only need to holdover past 250-300ish yards to a max of 400. Before that will be point blank range, so the reticle and mag wont be too important. When target shooting, ill be using max mag so the reticle subtensions will be calibrated. and for those 300-400 yard hunting shots, in my experience ill have time to crank the mag to full and hold over from there.

What i see my option being right now are:
  • Leupold 2-8 v3i with B&C ret
  • Leupold Mark Ar mod 1 3-9
  • Sightron sii with hhr ret or their new sih models (which they have no info about of their site)
  • Redfield 2-7 or 3-9
  • I originlly just wanted a Burris fulfield E1, but the eye relief is too concerning
Any other options iv missed? Whats the best bang for my buck? I live in Canada, so im not previ to swfa sale Sad the Razor HD LH's do look amazing, but they're a tad heavy and just to far out of my price range Sad

Thanks guys, your very helpful
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 14:06
VX-R Patrol.  SFP, mil reticle, also great mil knobs.  Awesome illumination, decent glass.   It is light but not 12oz light.  They are $600 too. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 14:27
If you want to go smaller/lighter, I'd go for this: 

In terms of optical quality, this scope runs circles around everything you listed.

To the best of my knowledge, SWFA sells to Canada and UK, but you may have to call them.

ILya
kykamo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 15:10
Son of a b*tch koshkin, your gonna make me spend more for a much better productMad! One that i will love forever!!!

Just in case i decide to be an idiot, out of the ones listed, what would be the best value in your opinion?

Thanks everyone
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 15:25

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

VX-R Patrol.  SFP, mil reticle, also great mil knobs.  Awesome illumination, decent glass.   It is light but not 12oz light.  They are $600 too. 

Good advise

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 17:01
Originally posted by kykamo kykamo wrote:

Son of a b*tch koshkin, your gonna make me spend more for a much better productMad! One that i will love forever!!!

Just in case i decide to be an idiot, out of the ones listed, what would be the best value in your opinion?

Thanks everyone

That's what I am here for.  I've got that exact Razor LH HD sitting on my 458 SOCOM right now.  I briefly had it on my 280Rem before, where with a 200 yard zero the reticle takes me out to 600 yards.  I only shot plates that far out, but it worked well.

Of the scope you listed, Sightron S2 3-9x42 and Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36 are your better options.

ILya
kykamo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kykamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 17:38
NOOOOOOOOO! I just got an email from swfa international and they only ship the SS line to Canada. None else. Broken Heart

That was a really good deal even with conversions. Ill have to settle for less. 

Sightron S2 vs Leupold VX3i

Any others?

Thanks for the help
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 18:08
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

If you want to go smaller/lighter, I'd go for this: 

In terms of optical quality, this scope runs circles around everything you listed.

To the best of my knowledge, SWFA sells to Canada and UK, but you may have to call them.

ILya

Yep, that's what I'd get. It meets the OP's stated criteria perfectly except for price.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2018 at 18:21
Originally posted by kykamo kykamo wrote:

NOOOOOOOOO! I just got an email from swfa international and they only ship the SS line to Canada. None else. Broken Heart

That was a really good deal even with conversions. Ill have to settle for less. 

Sightron S2 vs Leupold VX3i

Any others?

Thanks for the help

Well, I really think you should save your pennies and get the Razor HD LH.  Of all the currently available "tweener" scopes, I think it is the best one.  Definitely the best one I have seen.

If you insist on not doing the right thing, Leupold 2.5-8x36 is probably your best option.  It is a very respectable design that has been around forever and a day.  It does not break any new ground, but it is perfectly serviceable and good for the money.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic