OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What constitutes a barrel burner?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What constitutes a barrel burner?
    Posted: December/11/2017 at 18:17
Been looking at a few different cals and have heard that some are barrel burners. The 224 Valkyrie for one and the 6.5 PRC for another. So what constitutes a barrel burner for a cartridge?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2017 at 18:45
Any cartridge with high heat and high pressure tends to take the life from a barrel. Rapid firing that doesn't allow time for the barrel to cool shortens life also.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 05:37
High pressure (and therefore heat) + relatively long duration of high pressure (larger case capacity, more powder to burn) = barrel burner.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 13:25
What would be considered high pressure? Or what cals fall into this category? Mainly looking for a  target rifle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 14:22
Any cartridge that burns a comparatively large volume of powder and forces the resulting gases through a relatively small bore size will produce greater heat and longer duration of heat, which means more rapit barrel throat erosion. This is a condition known as being "over bore capacity." Obvious examples include .264 Win Mag, most of the Weatherby mags, the RUMs, .220 Swift, .22-250, etc. In general, most centerfire rifle cartridges that include the word "magnum" or produce high velocities qualify. 

There is no "rule of thumb" I'm aware of that defines the dividing line between moderate and high pressure. However, I'd say any cartridge with a max SAAMI pressure at or above about 62,500 psi or 53,000 C.U.P. is a high pressure cartridge, but max pressure alone won't cause it to be a "barrel burner." Case capacity and bore size are important elements too. A lot of powder burned through a small bore (over bore capacity) increases the duration of heat. For example, .308 Win actually has 1,000 psi greater max SAAMI pressure (62K) than 7mm Rem mag (61K), yet the latter is harder on barrels due to longer duration of hot gases through a smaller bore. So, some common sense comes into play.

Keep that in mind when reviewing the max pressures here:

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 15:32
Image result

Here is a chart I found that ranks cartridges on an over bore scale.  Building on Ted's coment about a large powder volume and a small bullet exit hole, look at the 308 and  two others based on the 308. 
308=751.6
260=977.4
243=1164.4
The case has about the same capacity but the bullet is smaller.  This led to a higher over bore score and a greater potential to be a barrel burner. 
Stamp collecting since 2015
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 15:58
Thanks guys!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 19:24
That's a nice chart and is about right, although pressure also plays a role.  For example, 6.5x55 barrels traditionally lasted longer than they do today because they were originally running at a lower pressure.

Another thing to keep in mind that every time someone claims his favourite handload is starting out of his barrel at 350fps faster than it is supposed and he has no pressure issues, two things are likely: he is playing with fire and he is dangerously over pressure and his barrel life is taking a dive.

Not everything is a barrel burner than people claim.

With 224 Valkyrie, there is very little data yet, but initial indications suggest that the velocity claims some are making are a result of not having a pressure gauge.  It was the same thing when 6.8SPC first came out: velocities were high, but it dangerously over pressure.  I suspect that when the dust settles, 224Valkyrie will not be as fast as people currently claim it is.

ILya

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2017 at 22:44
Barrels, like ammo, are consumables. Accept that, carry on.

Were it me, I’d find the bullet flight I like and build a gun around that. This is more or less what I did with a 243AI a few years ago, and I still love that gun!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2017 at 09:00
Too easy...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2017 at 19:01
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Barrels, like ammo, are consumables. Accept that, carry on.

Were it me, I’d find the bullet flight I like and build a gun around that. This is more or less what I did with a 243AI a few years ago, and I still love that gun!

True. What is the best bullet for the job and what do you want it to do?
Targets?  If you are not burning barrels you are not shooting enough.

As a side note, i read somewhere that it takes 8 pounds of powder to burn a barrel. My 6mm Rem went out after 9, one 6.5x55 went after 10, but a .223 i have is still ok after 11 lbs., because i use mild reduced loads.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2017 at 12:42
Mainly for targets and possibly same prairie dog hunting.

nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 06:36
Excellent chart. 
Wonder where the 338-06 would fall? Probably between the 6mm Dasher and the 3006 is my guess.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2017 at 09:54
I like that pounds powder to barrel burnt as a metric. Easy to visualize.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic