OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Decker's 7mmWSM Brass Shortage Solved

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Decker's 7mmWSM Brass Shortage Solved
    Posted: December/04/2017 at 05:20
Was looking on this Facebook page entitled "Wildcat Cartridges in Custom Rifles".  A guy posted a video of a very simple and clean method of fire forming. He demonstrated fire forming a .260AI from a .260Rem case. I went ahead and took 20 unfired .243 Win cases and used a slight modification and fire formed them into once fired cases then neck sized them.  Did this because my rifle shoots once fired brass more accurately than virgin brass.    This morning I fire formed a perfect 7mm Winkle (7-08) from a new .243 Win case. The dimensions of the fire formed case were exactly the same as a previously fired 7-08 case.

The recipe is as follows:
Take unfired brass and prime with WLRM or any magnum primer 
Take 20-25 grains of any fast burning shotgun powder (I used Universal Clays).  For cases of larger capacity like WSMs I would increase the powder charge
Stuff the remaining empty space with a piece of paper towel such that snugly fits the space.
Fire the case. Use ear protection as there will be a very loud bang and muzzle flash. Fun to do at night so you can see the flash real well. Yippee

Only problem is that the paper towel bullets group poorly Loco

The photos are the .243Win to the 7mmWinkle conversion

For Deck, he could use .270WSM brass since they should chamber in a 7mmWSM, or neck down 300WSM brass to 7mm then fire form.  The 270 and 300 WSM cases are slightly shorter than the 7mmWSM case.  Winchester designed it that way to prevent accidental chambering of the 7mm WSM in the 300 WSM rifle

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2017 at 09:00
Thanks, George.  Now I just need some spare time...  Great idea, though.  Probably will work.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2017 at 14:48
I have done this also with some 22-250 to 6.5 creed.  They turned out as good as the ones that I actually resized and loaded up with bullets and fireformed. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2017 at 18:01
i have been using this method for 20 years now. It is safe, simple, effective, and efficient.
I sometimes pack paper on top of powder,  cream of wheat or corn meal on top of paper, and top it with paper.
Only caution i have is that some papers, like the blue Scott brand shop towels, which have high cotton content, burn after leaving the muzzle.
I started a grass fire on my lawn. I did not feel like raking leaves, so i let it burn for a while. 
nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2017 at 04:49
Now that is super efficient fire forming Cool
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic