OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lieca ER5 vs Minox ZA HD5 2x10-50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lieca ER5 vs Minox ZA HD5 2x10-50
    Posted: November/29/2017 at 19:01
I'm looking for a really good low light scope to put on my muzzleloader. There are some nice deals on these 2 scopes right now. Wondering if someone can compare glass, eye box, retical, low light etc....

Edited by BigGameBalls - December/06/2017 at 10:00
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2017 at 09:20
Crickets????
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2017 at 11:26
Sorry, wish I was familiar with either.
Reaction time is a factor...
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2017 at 11:33
I’m sure Ilya can answer the question. Check opticsthoughts.com that’s Ilya’s web site.

Should have also said I have an ERi 2.5-10X42 4A reticle and it's great at dark thirty like Taqua said.

Edited by Peddler - December/01/2017 at 14:39
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2017 at 12:46
Minox HD5, not heard of that scope.
The Leica is an excellent low light scope. I have a 3.5-14x42 and with that objective I have no problems in legal hunting light. The contrast is great as I can easily take a shot at a deer standing in thick cover at dark thirty.
Doug
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2017 at 13:31
I have the Leica ER 2.5-10x42 with 4a, probably the best scope I own out of all my alphas.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
saltydog235 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltydog235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2017 at 16:18
I have an ER5 3-15X56 4A and can sit really late. It’s better than my NF’s or Trijicons as far as glass but isn’t illuminated, not too far off from my S&B Stratos. For the $650 I got in it, it’s a helluva bargain.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2017 at 21:04
ER/ERi is better than ER5, but the 2-10x50 ER5 I have is no slouch in low light either.

I have not had it did by side with the Minox ZA5 HAD, but I expect the ER5 to be better based on my recollection. It is also a bit easier to get behind.

ILya
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2017 at 10:36
I have a minox ZA5 that is freaking awesome in low light. 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 10:01
I'm also wondering what the difference between the ZA and ZX line is for Minox?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 11:01
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

I'm also wondering what the difference between the ZA and ZX line is for Minox?

ZX is better and a bit more consistent across the FOV.  A little easier to get behind as well, I think.

To me thr basic ZX optical design seemed related to the higher end ZEi.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 12:47
All 3 scope lines in question compared to leupold VXR line as far as low light glass and general hunting scope?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 12:56
Optically, all three are better than VX-R.

As a hunting scope, that depends on what you like.

You really need to settle on how much money you are wiling to spend and how quickly you need to buy.  I have seen Leica ERi 2.5-10x42 for around $1k multiple times recently (Leica is rebranding it as Visus, so older stock ERi is often discounted).

That is a better hunting scope than everything that has been mentioned here so far.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 13:28
I tend to only buy things that are selling at a discount. My scope search ususlly starts with what can i get a screaming deal on. Not necessarily a budget. Lot of minox amd lecia scopes on sale right now which is why i started this thread in the first place.

It's going on a hard kicking muzzle loader used to hunt mostly nocturnal bucks. Any evening shot i get on a shooter will be at the end of legal light. Identifying which deer I'm shooting and being able to see retical are most important. Ideally a 3- 9x50 with lit retical and the best low light coatings and glass money can buy would be thst target. 3.75 - 4 inches eye relief is pretty critical.

Scope on the gun now is a burris euro diamond 1.5 -6 x40 with getman 4.
Lockjaw View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lockjaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 16:01
I have an illuminated scope on my crossbow, albeit a cheap one, and I do not like it in low light. 

My Minox is good in low light. I have a Zeiss Duralyt that is good, and both my Nikon Monarch's are. Especially the 50mm one. 

I am all for a deal, but about as low as I want to be on a scope is a Leupold VX-1, the new ones. They are multicoat 4, which was VX 3 a few years back. I think a nikon monarch is hard to beat for the money. 

I sit in the woods until its dark 30, plus some. Especially when the moon is out. Biggest problem then is shooting a "doe" and it turning out to be a spike. 3 buck limit here, don't want to waste it on that..,

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2017 at 17:34
Originally posted by BigGameBalls BigGameBalls wrote:

I tend to only buy things that are selling at a discount. My scope search ususlly starts with what can i get a screaming deal on. Not necessarily a budget. Lot of minox amd lecia scopes on sale right now which is why i started this thread in the first place.

It's going on a hard kicking muzzle loader used to hunt mostly nocturnal bucks. Any evening shot i get on a shooter will be at the end of legal light. Identifying which deer I'm shooting and being able to see retical are most important. Ideally a 3- 9x50 with lit retical and the best low light coatings and glass money can buy would be thst target. 3.75 - 4 inches eye relief is pretty critical.

Scope on the gun now is a burris euro diamond 1.5 -6 x40 with getman 4.

You still need a budget.  Personally, if you can find a Leica ERi in the $1k range, it is a raging bargain for an absolutely world class hunting scope.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic