OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Warne AR Mount Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warne AR Mount Question
    Posted: November/18/2017 at 01:41
I have a Vortex Gen 2 3-15x44 SFP arriving Monday and need a good mount for the scope.  Although I have a few sets of Warne scope rings which I like, I have never used their one piece ring/base system for an AR platform.

Can you guys think of any reason not to go with a Warne MSR mount?  My other option was a Leupold MK4 IMS mount or a Aadland mount but that Aadland mount is huge!  

Thanks!
Warne MSR Extended Skeletonized 30mm Mount
"Face Piles of Trials With Smiles"
NRA Life Member
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2017 at 07:50
I haven’t used the Warne so cannot comment on it; however, I have used many AR mounts.

My favorite for lighter weight use is the American Defense Recon mount. It locks tightly and securely to the rail, and has pretty good return to zero with remove/remount. For heavier duty use, the aadmount is awesome. It is big, but is super secure and very well made. I have one of his first mounts (heavier and bigger than the production stuff) and it is among my favorites. It goes on heavy hitters and has never slipped or failed in any way.

I don’t buy Leupold products.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2017 at 09:16
If you can swing an Aadmount, go for it. My favorite non QD mount bar none.

Warne is usually decent, but had some QC issues about a year ago with their AR mount. It is probably fixed, but I have not looked into it since. I have not tried Leupold's mount.

Edited by koshkin - November/18/2017 at 10:24
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2017 at 11:28
Not to disparage the OP, but those are odd looking. 

Welcome to Optics Talk.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sawacs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2017 at 12:38
You guys are becoming a bad influence trying to talk me in to the Aadland mount and it is workingLoco

I have the Larue Lt104, Vortex, and Burris PEPR mount and those have worked well but for this particular build, I wanted something extra secure.

Last question...  Any thoughts on the Geissele mount?

Cheers!
NRA Life Member
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2017 at 21:43
http://swfa.com/swfa-s-s-a-l-t-30mm-scope-mount.html
The only non quick detachable AR mount I currently run is SWFA's although I have run and discarded some Armalite 1 piece mounts.  Mostly I run La Rue and have run Badger Ordnance.  I could very easily be talked into an Aadmount at $259 I like .  The Gissele at $350 sorry not me.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sawacs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2017 at 23:16
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://swfa.com/swfa-s-s-a-l-t-30mm-scope-mount.html
The only non quick detachable AR mount I currently run is SWFA's although I have run and discarded some Armalite 1 piece mounts.  Mostly I run La Rue and have run Badger Ordnance.  I could very easily be talked into an Aadmount at $259 I like .  The Gissele at $350 sorry not me. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I can get the Giessle for 287.00 so that places is pretty close to the Aadland mount.  The only thing that worries me about the Aadland mount is the size: that thing belongs on a howitzer!Smile

Cheers!
NRA Life Member
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 07:37
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 08:22
I would really not call this a BEAST of a mount… except in performance… superior in every aspect.  On my 7.62x39 AR with SS1-6:

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sawacs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 10:36
I went ahead and ordered the Geissele extended mount.  The price difference between the Aadland and Geissele mount was only 28 bucks so I figured what the heck.  One of the deciding factors aside from strength was the looks.  On this particular build I am using a billet SLR upper and lower and the Geissele machining matched the SLR nicely. 

Thanks,

Shawn
NRA Life Member
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2017 at 11:15
I like the look of the Geissele, as well. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sawacs View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sawacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2017 at 17:06
The Geissele arrived today.....with an issue.  The anodizing had a few scratches on it which was a deal breaker for me considering the price. 

The funny part is between the scratches on the Geissele and having a Warne mount on hand to compare it with, I decided to send the Geissele back for a refund and keep the Warne: its funny how things work out. 

The Geissele has the bling factor going for it but I cannot imagine, for my purposes, that the Warne would do anything to a lesser degree than the Geissele.

Cheers!

Shawn
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic