OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leica ER/ERi Owners Please Step Inside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOsteology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leica ER/ERi Owners Please Step Inside
    Posted: November/04/2017 at 14:16
The Leica ER/ERi riflescopes have been out for awhile, but doesn't seem to be much discussion. Aside from how good the glass is, and how poor the reticles are.

Wondering how robust the scope is. Sick and tired of scopes not holding zero, not tracking correctly (making zeroing an exercise in frustration).

Just curious as to those that have an ER/ERi how reliable it has been. Good set it and forget scope? Any issues with holding zero? POA/POI issues?

Obliged.

Edited by FOsteology - November/04/2017 at 14:24
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2017 at 14:37
Originally posted by FOsteology FOsteology wrote:

The Leica ER/ERi riflescopes have been out for awhile, but doesn't seem to be much discussion. Aside from how good the glass is, and how poor the reticles are.

Wondering how robust the scope is. Sick and tired of scopes not holding zero, not tracking correctly (making zeroing an exercise in frustration).

Just curious as to those that have an ER/ERi how reliable it has been. Good set it and forget scope? Any issues with holding zero? POA/POI issues?

Obliged.

LMAO, how poor the reticle is????

I love the 4a reticle on my ER, the scope itself is outstanding. As for robust, I've put it through the torture test for 5 years now, hard hunting varying terrain, packing out bucks, hard ATV riding varying terrain and speeds with rifle resting in the gun mounts. Holding zero, etc. never an issue yet, made successful shots on bucks 75 out to 420 yards. THE only issue I have is the turrets are super easy to spin when sighting it, mushy clicks but once dialed in, good to go.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2017 at 14:39
I have tested a few ER and ERi scopes. I think they are absolutely superb and I have had exactly zero issues optically it mechanically with them. Until I got my hands on the Magnus, ERi was my favorite hunting scope bar none.

ILya
FOsteology View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOsteology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2017 at 14:46
Yes, numerous posts regarding how many folks feel the reticle is a little thin.

I purchased an ERi with the illum 4a reticle, and not concerned about loosing the reticle at last light. The illuminated dot and rhostat control are very good, as is the glass.

My specific interest and concern is primarily on the scope holding up. i.e., zero retention, correct adjustments and tracking. Basically hoping this will be a reliable "set it" and "forget it" scope.

With your observation of no issues over the past several years while bouncing around various terrain in an ATV sounds good!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2017 at 16:16
I have two 2.5-10x42 ERs (now discontinued), and I think they are outstanding “set and forget” style hunting scopes! One is on a .300 Win Mag, the other on a 6.5 lb 7WSM. Granted, I haven’t tried to intentionally induce POI shift by throwing my scoped rifles on the ground, but I’ve not had any POI shifts since I’ve owned them...8 years on one, 6 years on the other. I haven’t done any tracking tests on either, as both are low, capped turret models, and as long as they maintain zero, they’ve accomplished their intended role mechanically. Mike is correct in that the clicks are faint, but they aren’t “dial drop compensating” scopes, so I don’t hold them to the same standard I would for a purpose built LR/tactical scope with tall, uncapped knobs.

As for the “thin reticle,” claim...yes the plex style is a bit thin, but I have the 4a on one and the German #1 (which I believe has been discontinued) on the other. The #1 is extremely thick and bold, bolder that just about anything. The 4a has thick outer posts at 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 positions which are very easy to see in dim light. The center crosshairs are thin, but the thick posts help guide your eye to the center and allow you to bracket a critter’s vitals in low light. I do wish the outer posts extended a bit further toward the center, but I can honestly say it has never been a handicap to shooting in very low visibility. When it’s too dark to use the reticle, it’s too dark to see anything through the scope to begin with, and these scopes have outstanding low light performance.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2017 at 20:13
I have an ERi 4A on a Creedmoor, 3 years no problems. I echo all of the above comments.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2017 at 12:28
I had one for a couple of years on a 6.5x55 and had no issues with it holding zero. It was an ER 2.5-10X42. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2017 at 14:02
My 3.5-14x42 has the IBS reticle. Due to the excellent optics it is usable in low light. It is certainly not a 4A but I can clearly see a deer's vital zone against heavy background cover at last hunting light.
Mine is for fire and forget due to where I hunt and I don't use the exposed elevation turret for dialing. I do wish it could be covered though.

Doug
Whale View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2017 at 17:12
Leica ERi 2.5-10x42 4a mounted on a Winchester Model 70 in .270. Has served me well in two years on my primary deer rifle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic