OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Old stock Zeiss Diavari-Z: how does it compare?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old stock Zeiss Diavari-Z: how does it compare?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old stock Zeiss Diavari-Z: how does it compare?
    Posted: October/16/2017 at 07:03

How would you rate a 30+ year old Zeiss Diavari-Z 1.5-6x42 T* (it has West Germany printed on it) compared to say one of the original Conquest 3-9x40 MC scopes? How about compared to a recently manufactured Diavari-Z? Has technology eclipsed or is top of the line still top of the line?

Thanks for your opinions!
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 07:59

I would think that it would be at least as good as the Conquest.

I had an old Zeiss Diatil 4x32 that was better in low light than the Burris Fullfield 50mm scope I had at the time. I had a Diavari 3-9x42 back around 2001 that was better than the Conquests but not by a huge margin. I also have a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 binoculars from the 80's that are excellent, not as good as my newer Leica Ultravids but they are great binoculars in their own right.

I picked up an old Schmidt and Bender 8x56 a few weeks ago and it is about as good as anything I have ever used. So, in my opinion, they had it going on pretty good back there.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2017 at 11:02
I have the Kahles mentioned and looked at the Zeiss in question. Of course, technology has improved scopes since then. But that particular Zeiss is an excellent scope. My Conquest is not in the same league. But that is not an apples to apples comparison.
Doug
wadeocu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadeocu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/17/2017 at 07:55
Thanks for the input guys. So how do you think a 30 year old Diavari stacks up to a recently manufactured scope in the same class? How much has the technology improved and in what ways? Thanks again for your thoughts!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic