OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Well,a chapter ends and a chapter begins.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well,a chapter ends and a chapter begins.
    Posted: October/12/2017 at 14:54
After twelve long years as a active duty Infantry soldier and leader, the Army has determined that I no longer meet the physical requirements due to back to back knee surgeries and the progression of chondromalacia. I will no longer serve as a member of the Army as of December 12th, 2017. I will be moving back to Texas with the girlfriend and step kids, and looking for a new career. Currently working a deal out with EOG Resources as a lease operator, but if that shall fall through I still have a few options to allow for me to consider. Hopefully I will be back to the OT much more, and may make it part of morning regimen to set up a new rhythm. Here's to 2018 being a great year, because only positive thinking will create postive actions and generate positive results. Missed my family in here.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2017 at 16:00
Good luck Mike - From another Mike in the oil industry
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2017 at 16:25
Good to hear from you buddy, hate the bad news but it seems your not going to miss a beat.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2017 at 16:35
Glad to hear from you too bud. It is what it is and there isn't any looking back. I'll get some income monthly for life and a nice severance package. I can't complain too much about that. Just ready for the next step!

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 07:50

Good luck with the future and hope you get all well soon..... any thoughts on what you'd like to do?

what part of Texas?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 10:19
We are looking at property just south of the DFW area is ideal Graham.

So far it’s Lease Operator for natural gas, well test operator for oilfield. Those are two that are just waiting for me to get there. I prefer the Lease Operator job with all things considered.

Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 10:33

Some things to keep in mind. If your 12yrs are considered fair or good ones try to keep some "potential" doors open for down the road. I had 12 in when they put me out on medical and I had determined to pull atleast 20yrs. My abilities are too severe to hope for any return connection (in or out). If your main disqualifier is your knee that can be a potential waiver in the future. Just want to chime in cause from experience I know that it is most likely in your blood. It is part of you. After a few yrs the passion may nag at you and you would be glad if you kept some options open. But for the now, enjoy the time with family and exploring some civilian freedom.

Salute!!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 11:12
Thank you for your service.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 11:29
Thanks, Mike. And good luck in your transition to civilian life. You have a great attitude.
Reaction time is a factor...
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 12:28
Good luck Mike.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 17:24
Thank you for your service to our country and Godspeed to you in your new pursuit. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 23:48
Thank you fine gentlemen for the amazing words. I'm doing a little reflecting on life tonight over a nice tumbler of some Woodford and thankful for everything that's happened. Not everything has to be dark and grim. Even if it wasn't right at the time, my decisions have always had a positive outlook on it, although it may not have been immediately available. I'm pretty sure my severance will be purchasing me a Sako 85 and a Kimber now though, gotta at least treat myself!

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 04:58
🥃👍💥

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2017 at 08:54
Mike, it has been my observation that dedicated service men and women make dedicated employees, and with positive attitudes such as yours, they can go as far as they want. I'm sure you will do fine.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2017 at 09:03
Mike,

What part of our great state are you coming home to?  Make sure you get in touch.  Also sending you a PM.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
HKtoTikka View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HKtoTikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2017 at 20:33
Good Luck.  Thank you for your service and enjoy this new chapter in your life.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2017 at 21:13
Wishing you all the best, Mike!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2017 at 21:33
Thank you all. As I’ve said multiple times before, the quality of individuals in this forum have never left me less than 100% impresssed. So far the beard is coming in nicely...

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2017 at 04:20
👍, I’ve had one for 40+ years.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2017 at 05:31

Mike,

I know something of what you are going through.  My oldest daughter is being forcibly retired in March.  Medical, back injury she suffered on a cruise... plus she is subject to bouts of pancreatitis... they told her they don't need her anymore.  One of her proudest days was the day she made Chief (mine too)...  She is very unhappy about the circumstances of her "retirement".  She is a nurse and loves that, but she really shines as a "Chief Petty Officer".  

I salute you for your service and wish you well.  I hope we can meet up sometime when I'm in Texas. 

Do well...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic