OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Suggestions needed for low power variable scope
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suggestions needed for low power variable scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions needed for low power variable scope
    Posted: October/12/2017 at 14:23
Hello all,

Well, I'm STOKED!  I just finished "pulling the Trigger" for an (online purchase) of a brand spanking new TIKKA T3X COMPACT LITE .308 Bolt Action Carbine style Rifle with 20" Blue barrel.
This Rifle will become my all around "Practical Rifle".  Now, I need to find the perfect lightweight low power variable scope to top off the new Tikka.  Now, I want to keep this Rifle lightweight and quick so, 
I was thinking along the lines of a lightweight 1 to 4 scope however, it appears the new kid on the block is the 1 to 6 variable scopes.  Do you think a 1 to 6 is the best bet ?   Should I consider 2 to 7 scopes ?  Perhaps a 1.5 to 5 scope ?  I suspect most of my shooting will be 100 yards (or closer) however......I still would like the ability to shoot targets out to 500 yards.  What say the find folks of Optics talk ?  
Thank you for any help or suggestions.

Regards,

SixCats!
Every time a Liberial enters a Gun Shop, a Unicorn dies!

University of Saigon 68
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2017 at 16:33
What is your budget?

Generally, this sounds like a perfect application for a tweener scope, like the Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32.

ILya
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2017 at 17:40
Hi ILya,

Nice to hear from you.  Budget ?  Ummmm......I'd like to TRY to keep it under $500.00.
I suspect the Scope you mentioned is physically large ?  Thank you for your help.

Regards,

SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2017 at 19:19
It is not particularly large and it is lighter than most 1-4x and 1-6x scopes.

It is, however, a bit more than $500, typically.  

However, I just looked on SWFA website and it is apparently on sale right now, so I would really consider it:

ILya
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 05:01
Thanks again Koshkin.  That indeed looks like it would be a very nice scope however.....a bit more money than I want to spend.  

Regards,

SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 08:27
Well, I would suggest looking for something in that general size and magnification range.

It will be a good fit for your rifle.

Nikon makes a 2-8x32 Monarch which is very decent for the money.

Sightron S-tac 2-10x32 is quite respectable.

There are a couple of decent 2-7x scopes under $200, but if you can send a little more, look at the two above.

Finally, if you are really set on something with 1x on the low end, my current favorite 1-6x24 in sun $500 range is Burris RT6. If you are OK with a1-4x24, SWFA 1-4X24 with DM reticle is excellent.

ILya

robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 11:08
I have a T3 Lite topped with Vortex Viper 2x7x32 and LOVE it.  Generally sits at 2x but can turn it up if needed.
I know its not made anymore but if you could find one, its great.
If I remember correctly, was a $300 scope - although I paid less on clearance.
I have a second one in the box waiting for a gun - No, its not for sale....

That said, I wouldn't be afraid to use the "lesser" Vortex lines that are active.

1.75x5x32 Diamondback $180.00 (SWFA says 1 left)
or
2x7x32 Crossfire $130 (SWFA says 2 left)
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 11:19
Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 is a great scope.  11.4oz.  $400 I bought my dad the VX3 2.5-8x36 for a old 300 savage we had redone for it and it is a great little scope. 

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 11:26
This woudl be another good choice.  Plus it has Leupolds awesome illumination system.  https://swfa.com/leupold-2-7x33-vx-r-30mm-riflescope.html

The glass is not quite as good as the vx3, but the illumination system is fantastic. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 11:28
Another good one is the Vortex Diamond back HP 2-8x32.  They are discontinued, but you can still find them around if you google it.  I have one on a .243 and it is a great little scope.  They are around $200. 

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 11:33
And if you are willing to really splurge this one is amazing.  Leupole VX5hd 2-10x firedot ZL2.  Its 16 ozs.  I go hiking 3 miles every morning and carry my rifle just to get used to the weight.  So I have been testing my scope in low light a lot lately.  I can easily make out objects well before legal shooting light.  Its dark when I leave and gets light during my walk, so it has been a good test. 

The CDS dial works great.  I have data out to 1000 yards with it.  I just love that combo to death. 

Mine sits on a Tikka as well. 

https://swfa.com/leupold-2-10x42-vx-5hd-30mm-riflescope-6.html

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2017 at 16:10
All good suggestions.  The illumination in the VX-R is very nicely done.

As far as the current VX-3i 2.5-8x36 goes, while it is a very respectable design and has been around for a while, it is within spitting distance of Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 in terms of price (SWFA has it for $500 right now).

HD LH walks all over the VX-3i in terms of performance.  The biggest difference is the FOV.  The Leupold is actually a 2.9-7.8x scope, so on the low end the HD LH field of view is more than twice wider.

Aside from better optical quality, on low magnification, HD LH is substantially faster to get on target.  VX-R has the same FOV issues since the erector ration on it is also a bit below 3.  However, the illuminated reticle stands out well and really helps.  VX-3i does not have reticle illumination to rely on.

ILya
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 06:50
Hi all,

Thank you all for all your excellent suggestions.  I WILL check out/research EACH suggestion.

That being said, I must confess, I really like the new Leupold VX3i 1.5 to 5 x 20mm.  I had an

opportunity to handle (at local Cabelas) the Leupold and liked it a lot.  Funny, after checking out this

little Scope, I thought I go to the Cabelas Gun Library (higher end firearms) and "pick the Brain" of the

Gentleman who is in charge of this section of the store.  Without tipping my Hand, I asked one of the

head Gentleman what he might suggest for a low power variable scope for my Tikka.  Without missing

a beat, the Gentleman suggested the Leupold VX3i 1.5 to 5 Scope.  I had to smile and tell the

Gentleman....."as a matter of fact".....  This Man is a competitive long range shooter and hunter who

no doubt must have a LOT of "Toys".  He told me he owns five of these small Leupold Scopes on his

Rifles.   I'm thinking it might be a perfect fit for my Tikka Compact Lite 20".

Regards,
SixCats! 

University of Saigon 68
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 10:38
I am not sure what you mean by all around practical rifle. But, I would not want to use my 1.5-5x20 Leo on 500 yard targets. It doesn't have enough magnification for target work. If hunting is part of all around, it also is not very good in low light. Especially with the standard plex I have.
What the scope has going for it is it is compact, light and has always had a stellar reputation for durability.
My vote for your price point is the Razor that is a great deal now.
Doug
wapitiwacker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wapitiwacker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 10:47
If small and light is your primary concern a VX-3i 1.5-5X20 certainly fits the bill, and might be hard to beat, but if you want to be comfortable out to 500 yds. as stated in your OP I would definitely consider Koshkin's original suggestion of the Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32. IMHO it is a lot of scope for the current SWFA sale price.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 10:54
I have the 1-5-5x vx3 on my 45-70. Great fit for a 200 yard max gun, but not a .308 IMO.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 18:21
https://swfa.com/trijicon-1-4x24-accupoint-30mm-rifle-scope-9.html  

1-4 Trijicon Accupoint
They also make a 1-6 and for anything out to 200 yds these are very fast with the illumination always on.  If the price range is to  high the Redfield 2-7 is a good value priced optic.

https://swfa.com/redfield-2-7x33-revolution-rifle-scope-3.html

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 18:43
Hi all,

Thank you all again for all your thoughts and suggestions.  

Regarding "Practical Rifle"

:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtfmHKQmIoM

Truthfully Guys, the chances of me shooting targets beyond 200 to 300 yards are unlikely.

Most important (for my aging Eyes and body) is quality clear Glass and (overall) lightweight

Scope/Rifle combo.

That being said, I am still "on the fence" on which Scope.

Regards,
SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2017 at 18:56
I must admit guys, the "Razor HD LH 1.5-8X32" looks to be a LOT of scope for a sale price!  

Also, the 2X7 Redfield I must take into consideration.  I can get a new Leupold 1.5 - 5 x 20mm Scope for a tad over three Bills.

SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
SixCats! View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SixCats! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2017 at 07:21

Hi all,

Question......is the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 X 24 designed only for use with an AR15 ? 

Would the Vortex Strike Eagle work/perform properly atop a Bolt Action (20" Barrel) .308 Bolt Action

Carbine ?  Thanks.

Regards,
SixCats!

University of Saigon 68
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic