OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical Scopes in the sub $1300 range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CovertChannels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical Scopes in the sub $1300 range
    Posted: September/08/2006 at 09:52

I am a new member on this forum, but not new to shooting.  I have always shot less then 200 yards in the past, and now would like to get into some longer distance shooting out to 600 yards. 

I ordered a FN SPR A3G tactical rifle in .308 with the 24" heavy fluted barrel.  I got a good deal on it from Tanner's Sports Center in Jamison for $1899.  Usually they sell for $300-400 more. 

I am looking for a tactical scope with mil dot or TMR recticle that will be the best buy for under $1300.  I prefer variable zoom scopes that have a maximum zoom of less then 20X.

I was looking at a Leupold Mark IV LR/T 4.5-14X50mm M1 with illuminated recticle.   However after hearing some negatives about Leupolds being overpriced for their performance, I would like to know what you all think is the best tactical scope for under $1300?

I appreciate any advice you can give me. 

Thanks!

Dan

Yes, computer guys like guns too! :)
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 10:21
Best is a relative term.

Nothing wrong with Leupold, and for the money they offer some good choices that fit the description you've described.  When you said TMR you locked into Leupold.  Mil reticles are generic.

Nightforce is also in your price range, but you'll need to call for pricing as the NF network is pretty totalitarian and inhibits good marketing advertisement.

There's always Bushnells 4200 series, and since it's probably a range rifle you can look at hte less than severe duty stuff like pentax, nikon and the U.S   made zeiss product.

Nice rifle BTW,I've shot many of them and never found a bad one.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 12:44
Nice rifle, check out the Leupold M1 #60000.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 13:42

You're wise to look beyond Leupold!  Not knocking the Mark 4 but they are priced very high for what you get optically.

Your budget can afford a Nightforce so I'd go with that if I were in your shoes.  After that, IOR 35mm Tactical in 6x24 50mm.  From there, consider Burris Xtreme Tactical or Nikon Tactical.

Let us know what you decide...

Don't forget to use a good ring & base system.  This is an area where you don't need to skimp.  Some good brands to consider are Warne, Talley, Seekins Precision, Badger Ordinance, and IOR.

CovertChannels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CovertChannels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 13:49

Thanks for everyone's feedback.  It is very much appreciated!   The rifle is coming with Badger Ordinance Weaver Base, so I will just have to go out and buy some rings to do the job.  Either Badger Ordinance Rings, or some Warne Maxima series steel rings (I have these on my 24" Bushmaster Special Varmint and love them). 

I have the scope narrowed down to Nightforce NX series or the Leupold Mk4 4.5X14X50 Illuminated M1.  I have found the Leupold online for $1079, which is a great price for that scope, especially the illuminated model with the mildot recticle.

But if I can find a good price on a Nightforce, then I am willing to pay a little more for that scope.  All depends on what is available when I get the rifle all setup.

Thanks for all your help!

Dan

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 14:20

Great Choices CovertChannels

Ceylonc

The retail price is very high for the Mark 4's but the actual price they are going for

now in the recent market makes them a exceptional value. There are many

changes going on in the optics world these days and if we do not stay on top of

them we as the consumer will get ripped off or miss out. I have seen recently

a $300 to $600 dollar (depending on the model) price difference between the Mark4

and NXS. The NXS has slighlty better glass than the new M1 but when it all comes

down to it the NXS is still a large RFP scope that gives no big advantage to the

marksman and I do not feel it is worth the price difference.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 15:08

To bad the Gen 2 Xotic is not out yet, it could be doing a

killing right now with what is available in the market,

like Mike said it is going to be the shiznits. I hope it does not

take to long because things are changing and you never know

these days who's going to be first with what.

CovertChannels View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CovertChannels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 15:30

I have read all about the original XOTIC scopes and was considering getting one until they stopped making them.  Their website didn't give much of an explanation, just that the Military requirements required them to drastically change their design.  So I am not sure if that is a good thing, or a bad thing... could be taken either way.

I would buy one of their new scopes if they come out in the next few weeks.  Otherwise, I will have to give Leupold or Nightforce the business.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 15:48
Originally posted by SVD666 SVD666 wrote:

Great Choices CovertChannels

Ceylonc

The retail price is very high for the Mark 4's but the actual price they are going for

now in the recent market makes them a exceptional value. There are many

changes going on the the optics world these days and if we do not stay on top of

them we as the consumer will get ripped off or miss out. I have seen recently

a $300 to $600 dollar (depending on the model) price difference between the Mark4

and NXS. The NXS has slighlty better glass than the new M1 but when it all comes

down to it the NXS is still a large RFP scope that gives no big advantage to the

marksman and I do not feel it is worth the price difference.

Hey SVD666!

Interesting info.  I checked out some prices on the Mark 4 model you were talking about and there is indeed a number of prices depending on what features are included.  Pricing ranged anywhere from $970 to around $1,200 for a model with the same magnification but different features. 

The NXS I found goes up to 22x (I believe) and has the 56mm bell.  I was quoted a price of $1249 shipped.  I need to compare the Mark 4 & NXS side-by-side again.  Maybe I'll change my mind???

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 16:03

Ceylonc sorry I can not go into more detail on this subject,

just keep this in mind the market is crazy right now look you

just saw here another sales loss for the Xotic, this price range

is very hot right now with the new Tacticool craze and there

are many players. The Xotic has the potential to provide the

most features and performance for the price in this category

but this is just today. I hope this helps.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 17:41

Yep, the "tactical" market segment in the $900-1,400 price range is sizzling right now.  Xotic is definitely losing out on an opportunity to grow their customer base.  Personally, I believe that you can pretty much write them off.  If they're not in the game now, when their targeted market is on fire.  They clearly have financial, management & distribution issues and having those kind of shortcomings does not bode well for longevity.  What will probably happen is somebody will buy them out and we'll again see the "Xotic" but as a name of a line of scopes within a company's selection.

What I'd LOVE to see is Kahles release a tactical scope!  I'd grab one in a heartbeat!!!

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 18:04

Even in the $500 to $800 price range there is fierce competition

and my pick goes to Burris XTR priced at $500 to $600. I never

thought I would see a brand new Leupold M1 priced less than

$800 this year. IOR is doing very well in this price range too and

offers alot of scope for the money. A new Kahles SF FFP Tactical

at a decent price would be SICK and I would not think twice on

picking one up.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 21:34

I have the Leu Mk4 8.5-25  M1 ill mil dot and the Leu Mk4 10x M3.  The 4.5-14x50 30mm tube Mk4 is an awesome scope. The Nightforce at 56mm is just too large for my taste. I would also recommend that you consider the

LEU58860 Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 3.5-10x40 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 1st Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • M3 Target Knobs
  • Free Leupold Flip-Open Lens Covers
SWFA: $1,219.95
More Info... Buy Now

The advantage of the M3 dials is that it corrects for trajectory. The advantage of first focal plane is you can mil at any power. Also note that illuminated reticles are not as much of a benefit as you might think because of the way the human eye works.  Also the M3 knobs are lower profile and wont catch on everything you go past.

QUOTE: Mike McDonald  "The illuminated reticle is going to mask any target in the shadows after sundown.
 The eye is rods and cones, one does day vision in color, the other does night vision in black and white.
 When you hit self in the eye with that IR, you switch from one to the other and find  the 3rd peculiarity of the human eye...continious vision.  Your eye sees something, transmits the image to the brain for processing, then goes back for more information.  In the interim, you thnk you're still seeing an image but you're not, it's changing and you haven't caught it.  When that lit reticle causes your eye to switch, it accomplishes the same thing that we have screen savers for...it locks the image into the processing portion of your vision for a few miliseconds and everything your eye sends to the brain in that time is overlayed with the reticle patern."

Regarding the difference between M1 and M3 dials the elevation clicks on M3 are 1 MOA and on M1 are 1/4MOA and the windage clicks on M3 are 1/2 MOA and on M1 are 1/4 MOA.  You will never get lost in the dial with an M3 dial and while you can't fine tune closer than 1MOA it is still quite deadly and I highly recommend it.  The 3.5-10 x40 is not overly cumbersome and for Police use which is almost always under 200 yds it is plenty of magnification. If you want to make the jump from Leupold I would suggest the U.S. OpticsSN3  3.3-17 with EREK over the Nightforce.  That's the scope the Marines use. Now having said that TAC OPS highly recommends the Leu 4.5-14 and it is one of my favorites out past 200 yds. The IOR scopes are also worth a look, but for a police gun that first focal plane Leu makes lots of sense. If on the other hand the application is military  type - go to the U.S. Optics SN3

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 21:35
P.S.  Once you are at $1300 you are better off to go all the way if the features of the scope you want cost a couple of hundred more.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2006 at 13:47

Yes! At $1300 you are better off going all the way.

3:Zeiss VM

2:USO SN-3

1:S&B PM II

Fire:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic