OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Sports Channel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Through with NFL...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Through with NFL...
    Posted: September/25/2017 at 09:53
and overpaid criminals and punks who have no respect for the country in which they live.  Where else could they earn LIFETIMES of pay every year for six months of actual work?  Where else could they actually perform the protest they express?  
If they want to protest… give up the game, quit, go do something else.  Form a march, not during football/my time, but on their OWN time.  Actually do something that means something… some do, few.  Most let 'fan worship' got to their heads.  

I like football, loved it when I played, loved it when Roger Staubach played.  Have never been quite as enthused since he left "the game".  
I'm giving it up, pro football, and most college, because I never much cared about college football anyway until my youngest went to Auburn (she MADE me watch).  It really doesn't do anything for me, takes up time I can put to better use, and glorifies FALSE "heroes"… there are some true heroes in football, few, but they didn't earn hero status by playing football.  Alejandro Villanueva is a hero.
I'm tired of people who are paid millions and caputure the admiration of our children saying "I'm not a role model".  Regardless of whether they want that responsibility or not, they all ARE role models… some just really, really BAD role models.  

I don't care what the NFL and its minions think… I'm through with them

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 10:10
Funny that Goodell is a stickler for rules - except this one. The rule book explicitly states that both teams will be on the sidelines, will stand, helmet in left hand, and will remain silent for the national anthem.  He'll make a huge deal out of ball pressure, but he'll relent on the anthem?

For my part, they have every right to not respect the flag, the country, or the men and women that fight and die defending their freedoms.  And I have the right to disagree - and change the channel.

If a team stays in the locker for the anthem, I don't watch.  If a player kneels, I don't watch.  It's simple, really: enjoy your freedoms and I will enjoy mine.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 11:06
I gave up professional sports long ago, I could not stand the arrogance of many of them.  I choose to spend my time doing many other things, mostly spend that time with my wife and boys.

Now sports are being used for politics, which disgusts me.  Even high school and peewee teams are taking a knee now and turning the game into politics.  Honestly, Trump calling them out in tweets and making such a big deal about it will just make them do it more.  If people really want to show their disapproval of their actions they have to quit supporting it.  But that is a hard things as sports are everything for a lot of folks.  It would be like me giving up hunting and shooting.  It would sure be hard to give up, and it sucks it it being used that way.  Politicians are just loving it, I am sure.      
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 12:24
I can't boycot the NFL, because I've never watched them or even cared that much for the game. I do realize that it means a lot to a lot of Americans, why else would there be SO much money involved. I certainly can't say I approve of the actions of a few but growing number of players who are disrespecting the American flag, and all the unnecessary flap that it has started. I also realize they have a right to do such stupid things, as I have a right not to watch or support it.
I just wonder what the story is going to be when the Super Bowl is played next year and what the reactions of all the men and women in the Armed Forces who have fought and are fighting for our rights is going to be.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 14:26
I am in the same boat.  Football is not one of the sports I am interested in, so I do not watch it.  Players are private individuals and they work for private companies.  They may do as they please for as long as their employers let them.

However, spectators may also do as they please and not watch NFL games (which I encourage everyone to do).  Once all these whiny crybabies go bankrupt, we can start over.  

If I see a team make a principled stand to force their players to treat the national anthem and the flag with respect, I will buy some of their swag.

ILya
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 14:54
If it weren’t for football two thirds of them would be drug dealers, pimps, in jail for beating wives/girl friends or dead!!!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 16:29

For yrs I've heard combat vets say to those worthless snots, "I fought and saw close friends give their lives for you to have the freedom to disrespect us". Sounds real noble and courageous. And it was the truth for those who said it. I won't say that!! I fought and sacrificed my health and my career for those who have the good since and a true love for this country. Those who think it is ok to disrespect the country, it's symbols, me and those who serve. should do so at the expense of renouncing their citizenship. And be promptly deported to somewhere else. It would please me to no end if every team of any sport that tolerates this disgraceful arrogance should go bankrupt before yrs end.

Any management that disciplines a player for showing disrespect should be the only ones to survive. Any high school coach or headmaster who allows this stupidity should be fired and all possible benefits stripped away.

I was so proud of Trump for what he said and am confident he will stick to his guns.

And that goes to another sore spot. Come 2018 we need to vote out every incumbent that has an opponent both republican and dummycrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can dig up the swamp, Trump can't "drain" it trying to use the ones who make it a swamp to begin with.

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 20:44
Perhaps, we should make a list of companies that advertise with NFL and stop using their products. Hit then where it hurts.

ILya
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2017 at 21:39
All I see is a corrupt government causing problems and corrupt business owners having trouble keeping their hired thugs in line. 

Y'all aware that the reason the players are out there where they can make those displays to begin with is because the federal government pays the teams to put them out there? Your tax dollars are given to NFL teams in exchange for promoting government propaganda. I guess nothing is supposed to go wrong when you're handing out stolen money.

Meanwhile you have a group of employees who are required to do a dance for all this while they have "cousins" who get run through the system for non-crimes to keep the jail revenue streams flowing. I'm not saying they should take a knee. They're on the clock and should do the job they agreed to do. I'm saying that if you've got the low IQ of a sub-Saharan African taking a knee or starting a riot might be all you can think to do. And it's for sure a lot more than most people who criticize them do about the very real problems we all face. 

Is it wrong? Yep. But it's trying something at least. It isn't always what's right that gets us down the road. I'm thinking of some aristocrats who incited a revolution in pursuit of wealth, only to turn around and treat their followers just as they had been treated by their former king. And we celebrate those rascals every Fourth of July! God bless 'em!

I like to think that we could just vote the incumbents out. It is more likely to just devolve until it falls apart. How can it be otherwise when you have a citizenry more interested in some men who play a child's game for a living than the 30% of their paycheck that goes missing every payday. Or how about how Congress just gave the POTUS the ability to make war at will so they couldn't be blamed for making the same decision? And let's not start on increasingly militarized police throwing people in cages for profit. 

This football thing is just nonsense meant to keep the populace looking in the wrong direction. Seems like I remember this happening somewhere else; Rome-something-or-other. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2017 at 10:37
Apparently, about one and a quarter billion dollars of  NFL's revenue comes from these sponsors:

Anheuser-Busch InBev, Barclays, Bose, Bridgestone, Campbell’s, FedEx, McDonald’s, Microsoft, Nationwide, Nike, PepsiCo, Ticketmaster, Under Armour, and Visa.

I will avoid using their products where possible and dig up other sponsors/advertisers and do the same.  Naturally, I will also send a few letters politely delineating why I am discontinuing the use of their products.  If enough people do that, it will make a difference.

ILya

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2017 at 13:43
I can avoid all those you listed except FedEx, Microsoft, and Visa... those three are used by my overlords and their usage is mandated...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2017 at 14:32
I can not easily avoid Microsoft and Visa.  I can avoid the rest of them.

Other companies that seem to spend a lot of money with the NFL are: Ford, Hyundai and USAA.  

I am very curious to see how all of these companies deal with the potential fallout.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2017 at 16:45
I much prefer a high school football game. I will not be watching the NFL.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2017 at 17:33
It pained me, a bit, but I did not watch the Cowboys play last night.  Then I read what they did and I was glad.

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2017 at 23:55

My brother's family got free tix to the Packers game against the Bengals:

"It was neat to see a game live, but I would never want to pay the $400+ face value of the tickets. The lady behind us was drunk and screamed in our ears throughout the game, "Aaron I love you!" in a gruff, scratchy, yet high pitched scream that I can't begin to duplicate. She kept knocking over beer into our seats.  

Even so I am glad we had the opportunity to see the Packers and Aaron Rodgers. Like Niagara Falls, it's worth doing once."

Unclear whether his Niagara Falls reference meant seeing the falls or riding over them.

Reaction time is a factor...
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2017 at 10:12
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2017 at 05:52

Jerry Jones/Dallas Cowboys have "stepped up".  Though I did not watch yesterday, I've since seen the statement that "if they do not respect the U.S. Flag, do not respect the country, they will not play".  Other NFL teams are, though late to the party, beginning to see the light and make the same regulation.

Good.  "They" are at least beginning to understand the power of the Patriotic pocketbook.  Though the incentive, money, may not be what we are actually looking for in the long run, victories must be recognized when they occur.  Though money may be "the root of all evil", "who knows what evil lurks within Men's minds"... it CAN be subverted from evil, as Men can, and pressed to serve Good.

I wonder how the situation where a team that has chosen "Good" and must play a team that continues to demean America will play out???   We shall see...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic