OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pee ro ject Stock bedding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pee ro ject Stock bedding
    Posted: September/21/2017 at 07:07
 This is a stock I have got for a 28 Nosler build I had built. The builder did a fantastic job on the barreled action and its a nice work of art That shoots really well.

Any ways short story long I had some stock troubles and had to grab another. So I'm bedding it and going to try to keep this post updated as when I'm able to work on it. Its mine so it get last priority with other customers stuff, I'm also going to keep it really simple as I'm lazy and hate to type and or spell.

action and stock, you can see where its making contact.

stock barrel channel and measurements

Ok so I know my base stuff and what needs to come out to give me a good solid bedding platform and not be to thin in places and to think in others. Now when I milled this out Its not pretty but the bedding will cover it so it KEWL!!

milled and rough edges

The numbers from what I took out and where and it will give me a good think solid bedding in the channel. the depth wasn't a concern as much as the width, so I didn't measure that. right now 12 $1 bills will slide from crown to chamber with ease.

chamber area
started      milled       took out
1.3535      1.14705     0.0117 
mid way
1.0665      1.1405      0.074
crown side
1.0335        1.4705     0.437

More to come later.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 08:04
Great post! 

I love bedding threads. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 08:40
Interesting. Just do that I understand: you are needing the barrel only? Not the action?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 08:59
What bedding compound do you use?  
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 09:06

If you get a chance, Show a pic of the bit you used to do the milling. And did you mill it on a hand feed mill or a CNC?

Or did you use the ole

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 09:06
I use a compound made by ans precision.

I'm only bedding the recoil lug and the barrel channel. The action will not be bedded as it sits on an aluminum bedding block and has 97% contact and is straight with the barrel channel.

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 09:11
Originally posted by Sgt. D Sgt. D wrote:

If you get a chance, Show a pic of the bit you used to do the milling. And did you mill it on a hand feed mill or a CNC?

Or did you use the ole

hand feed
 I do use those stock channel tools on wood stocks but they chip and grab to much on composite stuff.

see bit

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 10:56
Way cool! I'm always interested in seeing how different people attack bedding jobs depending on the components. I couldn't tell from the photos...what stock is that? The barrel channel inletting looks exceptionally clean.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 12:45
Very curious to see how it goes.

A couple of times when I tried bedding the barrel, it did not work all that great for me.  It was with wooden stocks, though, so that may have been the problem.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 13:04
Just a thought, but he may not be planning to actually bed the barrel, but instead use bedding compound to fill in excess gaps in the barrel channel and give the stock a nice even gap all around between the forend and barrel. You wrap tape around the barrel, then apply release agent to the taped barrel, bed, then carefully remove the excess epoxy that squeezes out around the barrel/stock gap. Then when you remove the tape from the barrel, you have a free float gap that is consistently the width of the tape all the way around. Sand the edge of the cured epoxy and stock together carefully with a sanding block to maintain a nice, flat surface, then refinish over it, and you get a nice looking, clean and even minimum gap all around that looks very professionally done. I've used this technique quite a bit when fitting barreled actions to stocks with forend channels a little too large for the barrel profile.

Then again, he may indeed be planning to full length bed the barrel. Sometimes that works well, sometimes it doesn't. I tend to bed only the first 1.5"-2" of the barrel forward of the receiver...the straight shank portion, and float the remaining length of the barrel channel. I've had the best luck doing it that way.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 13:28
This will be floated from the recoil lug forward( i use 10mil tape 2 passes), but it will make the stock have a little more weight and give it a more pro look and be more repeatable when the barrel heats up to not touch the stock and throw things off.

This is a grayboe stock.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 13:51
I see.  That makes sense.

In my experimentation, I found that with modern closed top actions, it seems to be best to just keep the barrel floating.

However, with older actions that have a little more flex (Like Mosins and Mausers) I bed a couple of inches of barrel in front of the recoil lug.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 14:21
Nice looking stock from what I can tell. It looks a little like a McM A5 from the view in the photos. If you can, post some pics of the side view. I've been thinking about trying a Grayboe for a future project.

Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 15:51
I check in on their website every once in a while to see if they have expanded their options.   While the price looks good and the designs are attractive, they only support Remington actions.  Since I won't touch one with a ten foot pole, I get to pay twice more for the same stock, except with McMillan name on it.

ILya
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2017 at 16:04
you could buy you a big horn action that has a rem footprint and you can have your fancy floating bolt of a savage.  Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2017 at 05:21
Good stuff, Brando. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2017 at 10:28
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I see.  That makes sense.

In my experimentation, I found that with modern closed top actions, it seems to be best to just keep the barrel floating.

However, with older actions that have a little more flex (Like Mosins and Mausers) I bed a couple of inches of barrel in front of the recoil lug.

ILya

With the Swiss K-31 I had, it was recommended to bed the barrel an inch or two forward of the action. And to pre-stress the front of the barrel with a couple winds of electrical tape. I found after bedding the rifle, which already shot really well, shot just about the same. But I learned a few things and didn't ruin it.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2017 at 10:36
I always end up bedding the recoil lug area on Rem 700's and synthetic (HS Precision), just 'cuz I hate that slop between the recoil lug and the recess area. 
Also improves the "off centered-ness" of the barrel in the channel, that HS stocks are renowned for.  

I have experienced differences in improved accuracy from slightly better, to insignificant.       
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2017 at 11:39
I'll bed recoil lug only if accuracy isn't where I need it to be or want it when I have an aluminum bedding block..... only had to do it in 1 that it improved greatly in.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2017 at 08:28
stock is prepped and ready. now onto the barreled action.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic