OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX6 old vs new models

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hypnogator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX6 old vs new models
    Posted: August/17/2017 at 00:48
I'm wanting to upgrade the scope on my Remington 700 BDL .300 Win Mag for elk and deer hunting in western Washington.  Since conditions vary greatly, with shots from 5 to 500+ yds, I've tentatively decided on a 2-12x variable.

I've seen a current ad for a Leupold VX6 2-12 x 42mm with fire dot reticle for $750 (original list price $1,200).  It appears that this is a discontinued model, but SWFA and other on-line retailers still list the VX6, albeit at considerably higher prices.  Would like some advice:

If there is a discontinued model VX6, would a 2-12 x 42mm with fire dot duplex reticle for $750 be a smokin' deal, or not so much?  Would the current model VX6 be worth the extra cost? SWFA has the VX6HD for about $1,500.  That's a bit more than I would like to spend, but would be able to stretch that much if it was vastly superior to the older model.

Along the same lines, does anyone know of a similar scope that would be equal to or superior to the Leupold VX6?  I'm looking for something in the $500-$1000 range, if possible.

Also, transmitted light is a major factor.  Would a 44 or 50mm objective lens transmit enough more light to make the scope more usable at dusk and dawn?

Would appreciate y'all's expertise and experience.

I fear I've reached that stage in life where I prefer a pedantic evening at home to a bracing exchange of gunfire in the dark.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2017 at 07:56
Can't comment on Leupold, I don't trust them.

On objective: I have hunted elk and the damned things always pop out on me in low light. I would definitely consider a good 50mm objective scope. A 44 would get you by most times, but do you really want to not take a shot (or worse, take a bad one) because you saved a few mm on an elk scope?

Lastly, 300WM, well chosen. I have had exceedingly good results with Barnes 180gr TSX and TTSX pushing fast from my 300s.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2017 at 09:10
Remember SWFA's 110% Price guarantee.

I have the same VX-6 scope mounted on my 257 Wby that I use for Pronghorn hunting.  They are excellent scopes.  They run pretty close to my Swarovski Z5 in overall optical performance and like the illuminated reticle.

The VX-6 HD is definitely a step up, but hard to beat the VX-6 at that price point.

The VX-6 3-18x44 or x50 would be one to look at.  As much as I like the 2-12x, my preferred magnification range is in the 3-15x/3-18x for my hunting rifles.

The wider objective is also a welcome feature.  As much as I dislike large objective lens, as my eyes get older, it becomes a necessary evil.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2017 at 11:27
I've had the 2-12x42 VX6 on a 7mag for 3 yrs now without a hiccup.  It has held POI on two trips to Namibia, and everywhere else I've taken it.  IMO this scope has the most user friendly eyebox of any variable scope made, especially at higher mags.  I've had no parallax issues out to 900 yds with the CDS dials either.  Mine has been a fantastic hunting scope.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic