OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Midrange hunting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhcfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Midrange hunting scope
    Posted: September/06/2006 at 01:55

I have been searching the archives for awile now and could not find a good answer to my question.  After reading some of the answers given I would also like some of your opinions.

First off my rifle.

I have a Ruger M77 .338. This is my elk gun and I love it. It currently has a unknown Simmons on it in 3-9. I find I have to hold it to close to my eye to see, and have accually hit myself with it. Not hard enough to break skin or bruise, but I don't want to wait for that to happen.

Now my need.

I need a good scope for around the 250-300 range. I like the idea of a 3-12 or 4-16 or somewere in between. I need it to go low for close shots and to go high for long shots. Now the long shots I agree don't really need more than a 9x for hunting. I plan on using this at the range and out just plinking for long range fun. That is my reasoning for the higher power. I also need a scope than can take the punishment of the .338.

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2006 at 07:35

The Leupolds and the Ziess Conquest have the best eye relief.  Me, I'd stay out of the extra power range and get the Ziess for the extra margin of working in poor light.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2006 at 07:38

Dude..... using a 338 for "plinking".......... your "set" must be the size of churchbells

Pretty much anything you get that costs more than $220 is going to be vast improvement over a Simmons, unless you have an Aetex.  Personally, I would go with something with at least 4 inches of Eye relief!  That means you're looking at a Leupold, Zeiss in 3-9X40 and maybe a few others.

Do a search for T-Bone rating scale and you will see where most folks on this site rank the different makers products...find one with 4 inches of eye relief in your price range and you are set.

Good luck!

take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2006 at 13:24
How much are you willing to spend?

ILya
lhcfireman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhcfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2006 at 21:30
Well I am willing to spend whatever I need for a good scope, buget however says other. The most I can spend right now has to be less than $300 including rings.

I did a search for T-bone's rating scale and came up with nothing.  Does someone maybe have a link?

I was looking at a Sightron SII 3-12. I liked it alot but its pushing the budget to much. Something comparable to it would be nice. I like the 3-12 factor though.
This Sunday I am going to go check out a Sportsman's Warehouse so I can hold and see some of th scopes.

I am not opposed to a 3-9 or 3-10 or something in that area.  After some more reading here I see that a good 3-9's clarity make up for a lower 3-12 or 4-16.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2006 at 21:38
For under $300 your options are a bit limited.

I would go with Sightron S2 3-9x42.  It runs ~$200, and has good glass and pretty flexible eye relief.

You can also get a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 for ~$260, which is probably the best glass in this price range, but it has shorter eye relief. 

Considering the caliber you are shooting (338 Winchester Mag, right?) you are better of with slightly longer eye relief of the Sightron.  There isn't really anything else in that price range, that I am aware of, that offers as good of a overall package as the two scopes above.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2006 at 21:39
take em!
Warhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2006 at 22:46
A Remington 700 in .338 is my go to rifle. It wears a Leupold 3-9x compact scope. It's never needed adjustment since I zeroed it many years ago. Congrats on picking a fantastic caliber.
ar15a292f View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ar15a292f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2006 at 11:05
If you are looking to spend less than $300, look at the Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40, I believe that you can get it for $250.  As for rings, can't you use the Ruger rings that came with the rifle.  Use the ones that are on the Simmons scope that you currently have.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2006 at 16:06

In your price range, look at Burris FFIIs, Bushnell Elite Series, and the Weaver Grand Slams.

ranburr

lhcfireman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lhcfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2006 at 18:55
My thought on new rings was that if I went anything over a 40 it will touch the barrel.  My price range is now at $350 for the scope I will deal with shipping and rings if needed later.

Scopes I have been looking at.

Sightron SII
Nikon Monarch
Bushnell Elite

There is a Zeiss 3-9x50 Conquest on samplelist for $369.00 I am considering. Its pushing the limit but its a good deal.

Thanks for all the help so far I appreciate it.

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2006 at 21:52

Ditto Ranbur's suggestions.  (You might recheck the eye relief on the Bushnell, though.)  Leupold VX III is also a good choice for a hard kicker.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic