OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Custom 223 Bolt Gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 11:21
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

This is the first custom gun?

I have lots of guns I've customized.... but never a ground up built starting with a custom action

To me it would be both a custom and a workhorse.... I'm not going to baby it or care if it gets some knicks and scratches on this gun.... adds character.   Sure I could build a benchrest gun and never take it out but I want a true 'workhorse" that I can pull out shoot, and toss back in the case for then next time....  I don't ever forsee selling it honestly.  a 223 bolt gun works for many uses, teaching recoil sensitive folks to shoot, all the hunting I'd need it for locally, shorter matches i do with some friends, precision urban tactical bolt gun.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 11:23

I guess a better proposed question would be -

Would yall spend 2-3K setting up a custom actioned 223 bolt gun

or

Buy a factory rifle and change the parts I want changed and wait to built a custom on something else later and spend about $1500 tops.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 11:34
Truck guns get stolen or damaged, a custom won't do any differently than a stock gun in those regards.  It might be a bit tougher, but I don't think I'd go full custom for a 223 truck gun.

Opinions will vary.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 12:05
You could always buy a used savage for $200, screw a Critierion prefit barrel on it, and put it in a $300 stock and it would do all your asking.  You would be into if for $1000 and have a real nice shooter. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 12:31
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

after the first itch is scratched more itches poop up... you know as well as I, they move from side to side and round and round....

Tell me about it, brother! I've got full tilt head to toe poison ivy rash!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 12:33
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

after the first itch is scratched more itches poop up... you know as well as I, they move from side to side and round and round....

Though I'm not so sure about that part...
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 12:36
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

You could always buy a used savage for $200, screw a Critierio
Quote supertool73
n prefit barrel
on it, and put it in a $300 stock and it would do all your asking.  You would be into if for $1000 and have a real nice shooter. 

That's just one step ahead of what I recommended, and not a bad idea for a working rifle.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 12:36

.223 is a good choice for what you have in mind. You can dispatch a rabid fox at 20yds, take down deer out to 400yds and ring steel out to 1K yds. A trued or custom rifle should give you the accuracy you want and be durable enough to stay with you in all conditions. Everybody has covered well the things to consider. You should have in mind the bullet wt. you hope to use the most so you can choose the best twist and possibly the velocity you hope to achieve to help know the best barrel length. I have a heavy .223 built on a Mauser action. It is supper accurate and I like it a lot but probably wouldn't have one quite as heavy if done over. A modified light Sendro contour would be plenty heavy for this project. Probably a 1.20 chamber diameter and a .750 to .790 muzzle with a custom recessed 11 crown.

Look forward to seeing what you end up with.........

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 13:25
If you want to go full custom build in .223 and stay within $2000 - $2200, here's what I'd recommend:

- Stiller Predator short action, standard mag cutout...  around $950 if you shop around.

- Greyboe Renegade stock (if you want an A5-ish tactical style): $350
OR
Greyboe Outlander stock (if you want more of a traditional classic hunting style): $350
OR
B&C Medalist BDL Sporter stock (if you want a slightly less expensive classic hunting style stock): $300

- Remage SS Criterion barrel, ready to install with nut (7 or 8 twist): $350

- Action wrench: $70

- Barrel nut wrench: $50

- Go/no go headspace gauges: $60 

(or if someone has access to the above 3 items, borrow)

- Trigger, STD 700 style... Timney w/ safety: $150

- PTG BDL bottom metal: $100
OR
Remington OEM bottom metal: $50

- Rem Mag box, spring, & follower: $50

- Action screws: $20

Rattle can the stock finish.

Bed the action yourself.

A bit higher end build for $2500 - $3000 budget:

Premium barrel option -- Bartlein, Shilen, Brux, Krieger, Broughton, Hart, Obermeyer, Rock Creek, Lilja, Pac-Nor, etc. 7-twist barrel blank (doesn't really matter; they're all good...choose whichever you can get quickest/easiest), #1 - #2 contour if you want a light rifle, #2B - #3 for midweight sporter, #3B, #4, or Sendero contour for heavy barrel: $300 - $350 for the blank, plus barrel chamber, thread, cut, crown & install: $600 if you shop around... $950 total for barrel, installed.

A little nicer stock with large selection of styles and finishes -- McMillan drop-in: $500 - $700
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 13:36
If this is going to be a truck gun, get a Savage action, pop a fancy barrel on it (like a Proof Research carbon fiber Pre-Fit) and put the whole thing into a foldign stock chassis from McRee or someone similar.

ILya
SEMO Shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SEMO Shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/11/2017 at 16:59
You can spend 2-3K building a custom bolt gun in most any caliber.  Do You want to tie up that much in a 223?  I could have re-barreled my Remington XCR with a 7 twist barrel to shoot heavier bullets, but I chose to build a whole new rifle.

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I guess a better proposed question would be -

Would yall spend 2-3K setting up a custom actioned 223 bolt gun

or

Buy a factory rifle and change the parts I want changed and wait to built a custom on something else later and spend about $1500 tops.

urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2017 at 09:29
For .223 I would look at one of the mini actions like Browning, CZ or Howa. The Howa seems most appropriate for the direction you seem to head.  

Meandering, I'll say I'm not real big on customs. I have a bent toward custom rifles in wildcats. However, I find I shoot more if I stick to off the rack guns in the most common cartridges. The tendency for me is to spend too much time toward daydreaming up something when I can't go shoot. Instead I should be motivating to actually shoot. I am refusing to buy any more guns and wind up buying ammo instead. It kinda hurts but I am shooting more. Well, that and I've been shopping and buying guns for my kids. It's a blame disease!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2017 at 10:37

When someone says custom rifle I always assume that the intent is to load for it. Not always the case. You haven't mentioned if this is a factory only project or if you will be loading for it. It matters for a few reasons. For factory ammo any 223 mag set up is fine. If you intend to load for it you want to pay attention to anything that will limit over all length. Especially if you plan to shoot 70.80,90 gr pills. The action I mentioned in the PM is a medium length action and will accommodate Accurate Mag bottom metal and 308 mag. That mag set up is designed to be adjusted to feed 223 at the longest possible length you could manage. So, keep that in mind concerning the intent to load for it.

"Would yall spend 2-3K setting up a custom actioned 223 bolt gun"

From where I'm sitting NO,

But that is cause I can't afford it. If cash flow wasn't a concern I would have a custom in all my favorite calibers. I am modifying a Marlin 60 to a heavy barrel expecting it to be a top contender in some up coming 22lr competitions. Why? Cause I believe I will succeed and it isn't causing me to miss any meals. But I did vary beyond the original plan. The stock is costing more than the rifle and barrel. But that is because I have learned that obviously a great receiver and high quality barrel are paramount. But a poor quality stock can absolutely defeat the purpose. And I refrain from preaching about a quality scope because I know you already know that..........

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/19/2017 at 11:27
$2K is a butt load of Diapers.....  just saying.  My Savage 12BTV Thumbhole 223 is still my Favorite paper puncher
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2017 at 08:21

I have decided not to go full out custom on this. 

I am now debating on 2 options -

Tikka T3 cut and threaded at 22" and in a MDT chassis

or

Ruger Precision Rifle in 5.56 as is.....

Ruger would be cheaper but not a lot of reviews on it in 5.56

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2017 at 15:27
The Ruger is a lot of rifle for a truck gun. It's a pretty big rifle even with the stock folded.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/21/2017 at 18:28
Don't agree with custom in 223 unless money to burn. Too many off the shelf rifles shoot too well, especially if it's a beater gun.   I'd think custom money best spent on off the wall calibers where finding the rifle you want in that caliber is hard to do. Even then I think tolerances are products are for the most part pretty darn good on new rifles and the gains aren't that great.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/22/2017 at 18:33
Several things here that seem contradictory to me...
You first said you wanted a full custom, then a custom-"ish" rifle, yet at the same time, a "truck gun" you don't mind getting beat up. You started out with a budget of $2k, which also doesn't seem congruent with a "beater, truck gun." Now, you're talking about long, heavy, cumbersome rifles with tactical style stocks, which is totally out of place as a "truck gun." For a truck gun, you're much better off with a compact, light, handy rifle that is more maneuverable. You won't have any problem getting very good accuracy in .223 with a skinny barreled sporter. .223 seems to me to be a poor match for a heavy, long rifle, unless you're using it for open plains, high round count varmint shooting.

If you're limiting yourself to just those two, I'd get the Ruger, as contrary to many here, I'm not personally a fan of Tikka. I seem to be in the minority on that. I don't like Tikka stocks, magazines, scope mount interface, or the fact it's only available in 1 action length. Why go with a short action caliber if you don't get the benefit of a short action? Even though you can easily replace the stock, you're still left with a longer than needed action for short action cartridges, and a crappy mount interface. I'm with Ilya that I like actions scaled to the size of the cartridges chambered. But again, I seem to be in the minority on all things Tikka.

Personally, for this type of rifle in .223, I'd go light and handy and get a Kimber Montana. It is super light, only weighing 5.5 lbs, and the action is scaled down to a compact size befitting the .223. It has a great trigger that can be safely set down to a light, crisp 1.5 - 2 lbs should you desire. It's equipped with one of the best factory synthetic stock on the market, made of carbon fiber composite, that's extremely stiff and durable, yet light, and has excellent ergonomics. It has a tough polyurethane finish that will take a beating well, and all metal is stainless steel. The Montana stock is simply superb, better than most of the aftermarket stocks you can buy for a classic hunting style form factor. I've had extremely good luck with Kimber Montanas in general, and one in .223 will likely shoot very well. When you factor in all you get for the money, it's a good deal, when you consider the materials and the well-designed action with great trigger. It's a great hardcore go anywhere rifle that will take a lot of punishment and fend off abuse well. Any other rifle that light will cost in the $2200 - $3000 range to build due to what is required for stock construction and action and barrel weight reduction. Kimber rifles in general got a bad rep on internet forums in previous years, but I've had good luck with them. Most factory rifles benefit from a little minor tuning to get them to shoot at their best, and if you know how to make a rifle shoot, it doesn't require much effort to take an out of the box rifle to the next level.

Also, I don't get the whole idea that .223 isn't somehow a worthy chambering to build a custom rifle around and that the only apparent reason some here see for going the custom route is for getting better than factory rifle accuracy. True, that's certainly one of the main goals. True, a high percentage of .223 rifles are going to shoot well due to its mild mannered nature, moderate case capacity, and excellent precision .22 cal bullets availability. But the same can be said of several other cartridges like 6.5 Creed, .308, .243, etc, so does that make them poor candidates for a custom rifle as well? Why is building a custom rifle on any common caliber indicative of having "money to burn?" 

Any cartridge you like is a worthy basis for a custom rifle, as there are a multitude of reasons for building a custom rifle, most of which have nothing to do with getting significantly tighter groups than is possible with a factory rifle. Besides potentially having a better shooting rifle, going custom allows you to personalize your gun and get exactly the combination of components you want. You can get the ergonomics you want, the barrel length, twist, and contour you want, the throat length you want, the LOP you want, the trigger you want, the magazine and bottom metal style you want, the finishes you want, the fit and workmanship quality you want, the weight you want, etc. The options are endless. All of this adds up to a rifle that meets your exact needs, exactly as you envisioned, which means you'll get more long term enjoyment and pride of ownership out of it. This is one area where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. All of that transcends just measuring and comparing group sizes on paper targets. Lots of inexpensive factory rifles will shoot, but that fact alone doesn't make them good rifles for a given task in my view. 
Ted

nralifer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nralifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/23/2017 at 07:00
I am a fan of the Savage action.  For a 223 their short action is more than enough The most cost efficient gun I have assembled is a 204 Ruger with a Savage short action, a Bell&Carlson stock with a $125 Adams and Bennet 24 inch heavy stainless fluted barrel that shoots 0.5-0.75 inch groups all day.  Total cost was 200 for the action, I think about 250 for the stock, and 125 for the barrel.  Has an old style Savage trigger that I had a gunsmith hone down ($25). Used it a lot on Prairie Dogs out to 350 yds. Has  Nikon 14X scope that I got for $220 I believe.  So for a little over $800 I have a pretty accurate rifle.  If you want a custom action look at Big Horn actions.  They have the Savage small shank threading and the Savage type floating bolt head, control round feed a la Savage model 12 magnum bolt head, and mechanical extractor. I have never tried one but the Savage-like features appeal to me.  They also have custom scope rails and an integral recoil lug.
It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. TR
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2017 at 09:11

My head is spinning on this subject honestly.... I guess I really haven't nailed down the specifics but I do know this, whatever it is will spend the majority of its time in a case under the seat of my truck.  I have built a lockbox under my seat that my AR currently rides in, this will find its home in the truck next to it.  Length and such while is important to some in a "truck gun" doesn't play the same role with me I guess and I am loosing some on that.  I could buy many guns off the shelf to fit but just always thought about a custom action, custom barrel, stock etc and make it just a one off "sasquatch custom" so to speak.  I need to think more on it I guess......

A stiller predator action, carbon wrapped 20" barrel, and nice stock still seems like a killer setup......

but maybe I need to hold off and ensure what I want can be had and I'll be happy with what I spend.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic