OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Red dot sight dot size comparison

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 18:00
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Aimpoint does not need to have the red dot centered in the field of view.  If the dot is on the target it is correct. Its a patented system that works very well.

All reflex red dot sights work that same way.

I Have a couple that do NOT. They may now but they did not do that 10 years ago.  You can lay one on something solid move around behind it and watch the dot shift from one location to another as your head moves. Centered they are consistent not centered they are off.

My StrikefireII is only parallax free after 50 yards. The newer Sparc is totally parallax free,not sure about the other sights being discussed in this thread.

Over the last week or two ive read up alot on red dots and quite alot of that concerned parallax. I may be wrong but heres the way ive came to understand it. None of them are actually parallax free. They just have such a low rating they are considered parallax free and are ranked accordingly. This article in WIKI explains it as good as anything else ive read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Reflex_sight
I use my CB and my AR mostly for fun. Still waiting on society to goto hell to use em for survival!!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 18:11
I'll probably concede the 2 MOA dot is "better" for more precise bullet placement, I'm keeping my 4 MOA Aimpoint T1 for a spell longer. I always thought it was more of a 3 MOA dot any way. Seemed smaller too me than the former Comp M2's I ran. 

Turning the intensity down a lick helps reduce target obstruction, IMHO.  Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 18:28
I agree about the parallax. I have owned aimpoint, trijicon, vortex, holosun. I can see parallax error in them all. Some more than others.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2017 at 23:15
cheaptrick if i had an Aimpoint id keep it to, LOL.
Ive been thinking about going the other way also. Nikon has an AR kit with a 3x9x40 Matte BDC 600 scope, P series AR mount and (oddly enough) a spot-on wind meter for $249.95. Even if i decide to later get a red dot i like the scope for my Weatherby Vanguard 223. Then again i have several scopes laying around unused now though they are pretty old. Guess im just like everyone else and like new toys.
I use my CB and my AR mostly for fun. Still waiting on society to goto hell to use em for survival!!
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2017 at 21:15
Well after alot of thought and hee hawing around i ordered the Athlon Midas BTR RD13. It doesnt have the red/green choice nor multiple reticles but it did have a style of circle dot reticle which i like alot. The price wasnt to bad either.

I know i spoke about the Nikon 3x9x50 kit. Well i figure next month ill get myself a new scope but im gone check out alot of different ones before i buy. 

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2017 at 10:33
I am thinking a SIS shield is in my future.

I have a 9mm SBR that the T1 isn't ideal for.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2017 at 12:32
I am thoroughly impressed with both the SIS and RMS from Shield.

The SIS is sorta different from Aimpoint Micro and MRO.  MRO is trying to have the most unobstructed view.  With the SIS, the window is smaller, so there is a frame around it.  However, I talked to a British guy with ties to the SA and he says at very close (almost reach out and touch) distances, the viewing window itself can become an aiming aperture: if you see the guy through the window, pull the trigger.  They even turn the reticle off and run it that way sometimes.

For now, I put the SIS on my 10mm handgun to see how it holds up to being bounced arounn on a moving slide.   So far, nothing has shifted or loosened.

If it continues like this, for carbine use, my red dot recommendations will probably boil down to Hi-Lux MM2 in the $200 range and Shield SIS in the $500 range.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/02/2017 at 14:46
All good to know.

And yea, for a 9mm SBR, it will indeed be close range work.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2017 at 20:43
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

I am thinking a SIS shield is in my future.

I have a 9mm SBR that the T1 isn't ideal for.

Very very nice sight. Cant believe i missed them but then they were a bit out of my price range. Its small size would be great on a handgun and i loved the different reticle choices. For fast targeting close range shooting i can see how the 8moa dot would be nice to have.

As for the Athlon RD13 i bought i really like it. The sight looks and feels like its extremely well made and the lifetime warranty is nice to have to. It came very well packaged and once mounted it gives a perfect mid-level co-witness for my popup sights. It has a very generous sight picture with plenty of viewing area. The cross/circle/dot reticle allows me to shoot long range without blocking out the target and for close up the circle part is great for quick acquisition. I have to admit im very happy with this sight. Hopefully it will hold its zero and continue to function so i wont have to try their warranty out. While i was choosing a sight i emailed Athlons customer service and they responded to me quickly with the answers to the questions i asked about their sights.
I ordered Butler Creek flipup lens covers for it. So far only one has arrived and its the cover without the push-button option. I chose it for the front (size 23 which fit perfectly) and im still waiting on the rear cover. It will be the one that has the red push button on it. (size 20)
If i have any problems with this sight ill update this thread. So far i would definitely recommend this sight to others.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic