OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Close/medium range "UberScope" ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalPlinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Close/medium range "UberScope" ?
    Posted: September/03/2006 at 19:02

Hello - first post -- I'm looking for the members opinions on two low power scopes.  The first is the IOR 1.1-4x26 (CQB), and the second is the Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mk 4 MR/T.  My requirements are : 1) high quality product and customer service;  2) An optic capable of quick shots inside of 50 yards, but precise enough to make good groups at 300 yards max.(The normal operational range would be 200 yards);  3) The scope would need to have good battery run time, and good brightness as the sun goes down.(I don't intend on doing any very low light shooting, but I want good illumination for shots taken during dusk at targets in shadows); 4) Need the bang for the buck factor to be added in --- is the MR/T worth the extra cash.  Lastly -- are there any "quirks" that either scope has that would make it a less than good choice as outlined by my requirements?  Is there something that you think would fit my needs better? The max $$ amount is $900. 

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2782-292-ior-11-4x26-tactical- 30mm-rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-3479-311-leupold-15-5x20-mark- 4-mrt-30mm-riflescope.aspx

Thanks.

TP...

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2006 at 19:47

Welcome to The OT!!

Cool Avatar!!

I have 2 questions for you.....

1) What weapon system are you wanting an optic for?? AR?? (Please list model and receiver type.)

Sounds like your looking for an SPR optic, not so much CQB (House clearing).

2) Define "but precise enough to make good groups at 300 yards max."

May we assume upper torso hits here??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Mike McDonald View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike McDonald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2006 at 19:59
Welcome to OT 

50 to 300 yards, fast but accurate.  Those two criteria are almost self cancelleing, espessially when you look at the
26mm objectives which kill FOV while preventing ocluded eye techniques.

If most of your shoting is 200+ with the ocassional 50 meter drill, you can go right down the side of the mount rail for that shot, or right over the scope cap and stil do a B zone shot quickly enough to survive.

The illuminated reticle is going to mask any target in the shadows after sundown.
 The eye is rods and cones, one does day vision in color, the other does night vision in black and white.
 When you hit self in the eye with that IR, you switch from one to the other and find  the 3rd peculiarity of the human eye...continious vision.  Your eye sees something, transmits the image to the brain for processing, then goes back for more information.  In the interim, you thnk you're still seeing an image but you're not, it's changing and you haven't caught it.  When that lit reticle causes your eye to switch, it accomplishes the same thing that we have screen savers for...it locks the image into the processing portion of your vision for a few miliseconds and everything your eye sends to the brain in that time is overlayed with the reticle patern.

Long version of...........the illuminated reticle will kill your night vision.
TacticalPlinker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalPlinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2006 at 20:24

Sorry - forgot the gun  - lol.  Its a Bushmaster V Match in 20" HBAR.    1/9 twist, 55 grain m193.  I will upgrade to a 1/7 SS with much more potential down the road.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/HOMELANDEFENDER/Closeup SPR.jpg

...As for the accuracy at 300 -- Torso (man of minute) works for me.  1 to 2 moa at 100 if possible.   As for CQB -- my EO Tech has that covered, so I am looking for an SPR'ish scope.   The LaRue Tactical SPR M4 mount is the intended home.   To be more clear of my intentions -- I'm looking to make good practical hits at targets that tend to make a black crosshair disappear.  I usually use 10" "shoot and see" targets.  My eye's are not that good, and my spotting scope isn't that great,  so those targets work great for me during bright daylight.  But on overcast days, the Leupold VX II 1-4x duplex I have  gets "lost in the sauce".  So the illuminated reticle is what I want for that.   I do not plan on any NV or very low light shooting.  So night vision is not an issue.  My Bushy isn't set up for a high degree of accuracy as it is, so I just want to work within the abilities of the platform, nothing more.

TP...

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2006 at 10:44
LEU56994 Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1.5-5x20 Mark 4 MR/T 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Special Purpose Reticle
  • 30mm
  • M2 Target Knobs
SWFA: $849.95
More Info... Buy Now
IOR114X26CRTILL IOR 1.1-4x26 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope IOR 1.1-4x26 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated CQB
  • 30mm
SWFA: $699.95
More Info... Buy Now

I say buy both, you are not shooting at anything that shoots back anyway so buy what you like.

As for Mike McDonald's answer - very articulate, I'm not sure I could have said it that well.

By the way this has an exit pupil of 9.5 even if it doesn't look as cool and is very workable out to 300 yds with a .223 and it does have "bang for the buck".

849415 Weaver 4x38 Classic K4 Series Rifle Scope Weaver 4x38 Classic K4 Series Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
SWFA: $124.95
More Info... Buy Now

Now since we have determined that it is a tactical style toy rather than an operators rifle you can approach the problem of having your crosshairs disappear against black paper targets in two ways one is magnification (super Sniper 10x) the other is with an illuminated reticle  and this should do what you need for half the price  :

200719 Burris 1.5-6x40 Signature Select Rifle Scope Burris 1.5-6x40 Signature Select Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Electro-Dot
  • 1"
SWFA: $384.95
More Info...

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TacticalPlinker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TacticalPlinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2006 at 12:02

Burris electro dot sounds good.  Is this a normal duplex without the illumination, or is the dot etched into the glass? 

TP...

PS - --- As for this possibly being a "Operators rifle"  -- I thought my online name said it all. - lol.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2006 at 15:03
If the choice is between IOR and Leupold, go with and IOR.  Better glass and nice reticle for less money.

Another scope to consider here is Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x24.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic