OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is the 42mm Leica ERi as bright as the 50mm Leica
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is the 42mm Leica ERi as bright as the 50mm Leica

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is the 42mm Leica ERi as bright as the 50mm Leica
    Posted: May/11/2017 at 20:53

I just bought a 2.5-10X42 Leica ERi.  Some things I don't like about the scope but I do like the low light performance. I considered moving it to another rifle and getting the 3-12X50 Leica ERi for even better low light performance. I was reading the manual however and saw the exit pupil listings for both scopes.

3-12x50 is 14.9 to 4.1

2.5-10X42 is 14.9 to 4.2

I realize that we are talking 15X  VS  10X  but how much real difference is there between these scopes in low light?

One other thing I would like to contrast for anyone who has looked at both. I don't like that I see a bit of the inside of the tube on 2.5X with this scope. The image is fuller at about 5X but I do a lot of close range hunting. Also the edges are quite blurry on 2.5 with that blurriness gone by about 4X. Does the 3-12 model show as much of the inside of the tube at 3X?

NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2017 at 21:30

When its getting dark, you will most certainly not using either of these

on their highest power setting.  As you will notice, they both will be brighter

when set at a lower power level.  Any similar quality optic will be brighter in a 50mm

objective vs. a 42mm size, at the same setting, binoculars or scopes, same

thing.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2017 at 21:51
I suspect your eyerelief is not set quite right if you are seeing weird edges on the ERi.

The eyerelief is very flexible on these scopes, so it is easy to accidentally set it wrong.  Try moving the scope forward or backward a touch.

In terms of low light performance, 50mm is indeed better than the 42mm, although for any North American hunting, when you can not hunt at night, it might not be much of a practical difference.

ILya
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2017 at 22:43

Thanks for the answer.

Mr.Koshkin

I've played with ER to no avail. I still see some of the inside of the tube, especially at 2.5. It might however be my eyes. I can move the diopter out and that slight tunneling will go away but the reticle is out of focus for me. When the diopter is screwed in enough that I have a crisp reticle I can't avoid some tunneling. The scope is however very good in low light,which is the main reason I bought it.

Do you know if it is waterproof with the windage cap removed? I am having an occasional ejection problem with the cap on. I thought I might just unscrew it and put it in my pocket while hunting, though I am going to have a gunsmith try to adjust my ejection first. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic