OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hensoldt scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hensoldt scopes
    Posted: May/06/2017 at 19:32
Are Hensoldts much of a scope. I just bought a gun that has a 2 3/4x Hensoldt scope that I haven't seen yet. The seller called the scope a targeteer. Its on a 1930's gun and Im presuming that the scope is of that era. Does anybody know anything about this scope and its value?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 19:38
The Hensoldt of that "era" would be of high quality.  I cannot put a price on it, but they were the premier military rifle scope made by Zeiss.  If well maintained, should be great.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
johnnyo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2017 at 18:12
Finally got the gun and scope. I am still confused on what I have and the power. The Middle of the scope is stamped Hensoldt-Wetzlar-Germany. The objective lens says: Targeteer-R.A. Litschert-Winchester, Indiana and under that it says :   8 Texan   Around the eyepiece it says: Ziel Dialyt 2 3/4x and the serial number NR47145.  Also: The crosshairs are very thin and have a small dot in the middle and another dot below it. Does anybody have a value for this scope and can anybody break all this information down?  Thanks!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2017 at 05:32
R A Litschert made scope attachments back in the thirties to increase the magnification of popular scopes of the era. In the 1940s Litschert began marketing their own target scopes....Litschert sold the business in 1961 to Davis Optical Company...and Davis was listed as a scope supplier up until 1987. 
Visit the Ed Show
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2017 at 16:17
I guess the better question is do you like the scope and do you intend to keep and use it or would you rather put a different scope on this rifle?  SWFA does take scopes in trade and might need to see it to actually set a trade value because it is a very old optic. You could call or use their trade in form if that is of interest.   Personally I would probably prefer a modern optic.  If you are thinking you have something of enhanced value I don't really know, and would guess that optics have made such huge improvements in the last 20 years that most people would pick a newer optic, so the market for one that age is not large. I guess you could always put it on EBay and see what it goes for.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Mikhail View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikhail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2017 at 19:02
How about posting a pic of the scope and the rifle if you dont mind doing so. Id really like to see both to be honest
I use my CB and my AR mostly for fun. Still waiting on society to goto hell to use em for survival!!
johnnyo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2017 at 09:51
Im not set up to post pictures but if you want to see the gun and scope-go to Rock Island Auction Company and go to past actions-May 5,2017 and search for lot 799. Its a Winchester model 52 pre-a sporter thats been customized by Griffin and Howe. These don't come up for sale very often and the good part is that they used the original Winchester 52 sporter barrel but modified it for their custom front sight. Not very many pictures of the gun but you can get a general idea of what the scope looks like. 
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2017 at 11:25
johnnyo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/26/2017 at 16:43
Thats it!  Wish the auction company would have shown more pictures-like the engraved pistol grip and engraved buttplate. Prewar guns really show off American craftmanship. Unfortunately scopes have come along way since this era but from what I have read this is one of the better ones for the time period. Not sure about the scope but the gun was made in 1935.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic