OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Digital vs conventional Night vision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Digital vs conventional Night vision
    Posted: May/04/2017 at 09:15
Howdy fellas,i am getting reinterested in NV for my AR for a night time hog hunting rig. It is hard not to see value in a digital rig like the ATN scopes . They claim to do soooo much. How do they compare to a conventional gen2 scope with IR . Actual performance , durability, and ease of use more than likely I will not have a need for anything that will allow for more than 200yds of vision
The unprepared are the most likely to suffer;    Teddy R.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 09:57
So, a few quick things:
1.  I would be very wary of ATN stuff.  If you go digital, the Pulsar isn't bad, I had one for awhile.
2.  A decent gen2 scope is still going to be significantly more than a Pulsar digital scope.
3.  Digital scopes almost always need an IR light source, plan on spending on a good one if you want 200 yards reach.
4.  Digitals are usually gray-scale, so coming off the scope leads to some bad night blindness.
5.  conventional NV usually has caliber restrictions, digitals do not, I'm pretty sure.
6.  Digitals can be used in daylight, they aren't great at it, but it works.

I've run both, I like both, but I got rid of the digital scope.  It was always "almost awesome", but almost.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
porkchop401 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 10:38
So is what you are say is the digital does a lot of stuff but excels at none of them. This is intended for a 223AR. Will most gen2 scopes meet my expectations! Am I right in understanding that with the aid of a IR it will work in near total darkness. How prone are the conventional scopes to breakage?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 11:30
For the money and for a 223, the digital will be fine.  Yes, it will do lots of stuff well but none of them awesome.  That said, unless you've used awesome, you won't really notice.

I would get the digital.

And get a good IR light source, you will need it.

A D740 or D760 will run you $3k minimum (gen 2+) while a Pulsar N750 will be less than half that.

My recommendation is based on this being used as a "sit in one place and let the hog come to you" scenario.  If you need to be able to move, weapon-mounted NV is far less than ideal.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 12:50
Well it is certainly a bait wait situation for sure. I appreciate the help. Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2017 at 13:26
For clarity: I liked the Pulsar I had.  With a good illuminator, it was like looking at a medium-def image in black and white.  Don't think Doom in 1993, think more Halo in '01.   You could definitely identify a pig at 200 yards and, with a good IR source, light it up clearly.

Comparing the 2 technologies, I prefer true night vision, but the good stuff ain't cheap.  For a dedicated hog gun used over a feeder or some such, do digital.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 06:12

I have the gen 1 ATN X-sight.  The scope is OK, when it works... freezes after firing...  customer service is virtually non-existent.  They really suck when it comes to responding and performing...  the X-sight has a lot of features and, when they work, it is very nice.  If you happen to get a good one, you'll be happy, I think.  However, you have to weigh the odds.  I'm on my third of the first generation and they quit communicating with me... don't answer my emails and never get anything back from a phone call.  They suck.  I've not tried a second gen, probably will not.  It also sucks that they sold me 1st gen about 2 weeks before the 2nd gen came out and did not inform that they were "upgrading".  Bad business.

I've used a Pulsar and it is pretty good.  Doesn't have all the bang/whistle "features" of the X-sight, but perhaps the X-sight would do its "job" better if it didn't have all that added baggage. 

As RC said... get a GOOD illuminator, for any of the less expensive NV.  If you step up to the $3000.00++ ($4000.00) range, you won't really need an illuminator unless you are going in closed, unlighted rooms or very deep caves with no luminescence.  The high dollar jobs will perform if there is just a smidgeon of light.  It's all about sensitivity and reliability...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 08:15
I launched a tirade to the ATN guys at NRAAM'17 last weekend. KB and I have the same scope with the same issues. We both knew when we bought them that we were pseudo Beta testers but as KB said they had the gen 2 in the works from the get go when we got involved with the x-sights. I know the gen1's processor is overloaded, there will be no fixes. The Gen2's they have got a lot of the bugs fixed but the gen2 buyers are in for a shock come Shot show '18. KB and I are in agreement that we would like the technology to be a success but ATN's execution of it's roll outs is throughly lacking and CS should be all over the people who buy these things but they aren't. We are the people funding their R&D. ATN if you read this, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BUTT!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 06:05

Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I launched a tirade to the ATN guys at NRAAM'17 last weekend. KB and I have the same scope with the same issues. We both knew when we bought them that we were pseudo Beta testers but as KB said they had the gen 2 in the works from the get go when we got involved with the x-sights. I know the gen1's processor is overloaded, there will be no fixes. The Gen2's they have got a lot of the bugs fixed but the gen2 buyers are in for a shock come Shot show '18. KB and I are in agreement that we would like the technology to be a success but ATN's execution of it's roll outs is throughly lacking and CS should be all over the people who buy these things but they aren't. We are the people funding their R&D. ATN if you read this, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR BUTT!

Did you get any feedback from them?  You are correct, I, as you, TRULY want this technology to succeed... so far, not so good.

Did they have any comment on CS or technology?

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porkchop401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 07:11
Howdy fellas , Been doing some research and the Sightmark Photon is getting good reviews , like other digital units additional IR is a must. Any experience to share with these is appreciated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2017 at 10:33
You are chasing the "too good to be true" deal, and - sadly - they are almost always too good to be true.

I $500 digital NV scope is going to disappoint, I am all but certain of that.

Sightmark, like ATN, is not known for quality but for price. NV is not a game to play on price alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic