OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 3-15 x42 problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draycott MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 3-15 x42 problem
    Posted: May/02/2017 at 08:05
Hi everyone I'm new to this site but I'm hoping you can help me out. Recently purchased a styer hs50 bmg and after much research decided to go with the ss 3-15x42 as they are rated for 50 bmg and had good reviews. As of yesterday I have gone thru my 3rd scope. All 3 failing within about 18 -22rounds. They start of grouping nice and adjusting properly. After about 13 rounds it will no longer group I get rounds going all over the paper at 100 yards first 10 rounds group beautifully. Scope also stops adjusting properly 13 clicks elevation down at 100 yards only moves an inch down and 2 inches to the right. All 3 scopes also start showing specs of aluminum and glass particles against the objective lenses. Swfa have been great no issues with customer service but wondering if I should go to a new manufacture all together. Scope is mounted with vortex heavy duty high tactical mounts. Thanks for any replies and advice.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 09:09
Check to make sure your mount and ring screws are tight and nothing in the mounting system is loose. If everything with that is good then call SWFA. I'm sure they will work with you.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 09:25
I've not personally used the 3-15 on a 50 but I have the fixed models with great success, never had a fixed model go belly up in my experience but I'm sure its happened.  Fewer moving parts on a 50 is a good thing.   Maybe try a 3-9 if you want adjustment... they seem to be a bit better built IMO than the 3-15
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Draycott MB View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draycott MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:02
Yes double checked and everything is tight and hasn't loosened off.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draycott MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:06
Ya that's kind of what I was thinking as well that the fixed has less moving parts. The last 2 broke I spoke to one of there techs and he was very surprised I had 2 fail. But he said The variable were rated for 50 bmg and should work fine. The variable was kind of nice for quick target acquisition. I would like to get 600 to 1000 yards out. So a 16x would probably work well.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:09
50s are rough on any scope, and the more effective the brake, the harder they are on the scope.  The "specks" on the objective, I assume you mean the inside, correct?

At what ranges will you be shooting?

I've seen more than a few scopes die on a 50, as you are already shooting $5, you might need to up your price range on optics, else we might be doing this little dance again soon.

When I need bomb-proof scopes, I go to Nightforce.  Don't get me wrong, SS scopes are awesome, and for the money, there is no better option in most tactical applications.  That said, 50-cal shooting is a whole other game and I'd look to scopes built to play specifically in that arena.

SVT is right, fewer moving parts is a good thing, and the 10X HD would be my starting point.  Beyond that, consider at least doubling what you've spent so far on that scope to get something that will serve you long term.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draycott MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 10:22
Yes the specs are on the inside of the lense. And the gun does have a nasty muzzle break as there is very little recoil. Thanks for the feedback so far. I was originally looking at the nightforce but they were slightly out of my price range. So I stumbled upon the SS and they had very good reviews even from shooters that had them mounted on 50's. I'm from Manitoba canada and there are not too many 50 cals. Around here so hard to talk to other shooters to get much info.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 11:27
Concerning the specs on the inside of the lenses. I know of that happening on even much more expensive scopes. And the people I know who had that happen just tapped the scope on a phone book rather than send it back. But the adjustment issues is something else, that has to go back.

On my Armalite AR50 I use a Nightforce scope and have had no issues with it. But I don't get to shoot it very often since all but one of the ranges have banned the 50 around here. So I am seriously considering putting a SS 16x or HD10x on it since I don't change the magnification.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 13:04
If budget is pretty much set, I would do a 10X HD SS, it should be fine with 50-cal recoil, and will be your best bet at reliability in that price range.

What mounts are you using?

For every scope that dies on a 50, probably a quarter are mount-related.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 14:13
Also you torquing everything properly? High recoil needs perfect torque as well
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
m1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 14:47
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

50s are rough on any scope, and the more effective the brake, the harder they are on the scope.  

When I need bomb-proof scopes, I go to Nightforce.  Don't get me wrong, SS scopes are awesome, and for the money, there is no better option in most tactical applications.  That said, 50-cal shooting is a whole other game and I'd look to scopes built to play specifically in that arena.

SVT is right, fewer moving parts is a good thing, and the 10X HD would be my starting point.  Beyond that, consider at least doubling what you've spent so far on that scope to get something that will serve you long term.

That's interesting (and cool) you mention Nightforce being Bomb-proof....
What about S&B?
What do you mean 10X "HD".....I assume you mean Fixed 10-Power?....but made by who?
S&B?  I don't think Nightforce makes fixed-10 do they?

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 15:14
The SS 10X HD. I actually put a standard SS 10X on a AR-50 for awhile to see if it would kill it, it didn't.

Super Sniper 10x42M
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draycott MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 16:10
Yes everything was set at the proper torque and I am using vortex high tactical mounts. I have been looking at the Sega 10x and 16x 42 as well.
The strange thing is we had a cheap tasco scope on it just to put some rounds thru it and it held up fine for the 30 or so rounds I put thru it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 17:33
S&B are good scopes, but more failure-prone than Nightforce, or that has been my experience.
And they cost more.

I meant the SWFA of the 10X HD.

If the Tasco survived, I too would be surprised that the SS failed.

Is it a 6-bolt ring or a 4-bolt ring?

Diagnosing issues with written descriptions is tough.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2017 at 22:10
Interesting I just bought a 3-15 but don't have a 50 so suspect it will be fine.  I have had most of the SS scopes  the HD 3-9  HD 10x HD 5-20 the fixed 6, 10, 16 & 20. Several versions of some of them.  The HD 10 x would be a nice choice and all the HD series scopes use a single screw on top of the knob to re-set the knob which I much prefer. The fixed power ones have been bulletproof on everything I have had them on including 375H&H and 45-70 pistol but I don't see me ever having a 50 and not likely that I would get a 338 Lapua.  I still need a 6.5 Creedmore and a 7mm08 and a few other things that would come first. The SS  HD 10X is a very nice scope and I would have it except I traded up to the HD 5-20 SS

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 06:05
My .50BMG wore the SS 10xHD for a long time.  NO issues whatsoever.  That scope is, right now, on my CZ700.  The .50 has an Ellis Optics 4-16x56 that was designed to withstand a 20mm shoulder fired rifle.  The SS 10xHD is an awesome scope, over 100MOA adjustment, excellent mechanical "feel" and performance, very good glass.  It is as good a 10x fixed power scope as I have ever encountered.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Draycott MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 15:35
The rings are the 6 bolt. Looks like I will be leaning towards the fixed power for now. My dad has the Swfa 3-15x42 on his creedmore and it has been holding up fine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2017 at 16:43
Surviving a creedmore vs a 50 is like fighting a 5 year old vs fighting a heavyweight boxer.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/05/2017 at 07:41
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Surviving a creedmore vs a 50 is like fighting a 5 year old vs fighting a heavyweight boxer.
Man is that an understatement! 🤣🤣🤣
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic