OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Rifle
    Posted: September/02/2006 at 15:57

I've come into an unexpected windfall and am going to buy a new rifle.  It will be used for deer, hogs, and every day carry around the place for varmints (large and small).  This will be my first synthetic stocked rifle.  Here's my choices; I'd appreciate any input.

Remington Seven AWR in 6.8mm SPC - $1450

Browning A Bolt Mountain Ti in 7mm-08 - $1300

Weatherby Ultra Lightweight in 7mm-08 - $1350

Remington 700 Ultimate Titanium in .260 - $1100

I'm not so much interested in input on the calibers.  I can work with anything from .243 to 7mm-08,  If you have experience with the rifles, I'd like to hear about it.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 16:28

Sako 75 Stainless/Synthetic

7mm-08, if you wish. Or .260

The Sako M75 is THE finest non custom rifle I have ever held....Period.

It may be a little on the heavy side for you.

Best wishes to you and congrats!!

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 17:54
The regual Sako is too heavy, but the Finnlight would probably work.  Any experience with that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 18:15

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

The regual Sako is too heavy, but the Finnlight would probably work.  Any experience with that?

No, Sir.

Though I'm sure it would be worth checking out.

Does Kimber make a light weight rifle?

I thought you mentioned owning a Kimber some time ago.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 19:04
Kimber makes the Montana.  I tried one, but didn't like the feel of the stock; too slick.  I still have two model 84's, 260 and 243. 
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 20:21

Even if you have a windfall, you should get your monies worth.  I second the Sako, but offer this instead, the Tikka light weight in .243 or .308.  Almost the same rifle for less money. I also like to be able to buy ammo at a reasonable price in "BFE."  I bought the Tikka a while back and put a 2x7 Kahles with TDS reticle from the sample list on it. Even with taxes and shipping that's under your budget. Since my main rifle range is rented out as cow pasture that's as much feed back as I can offer. 

The thought that I have been having is a mini-mauser or C-Z 527 in 6.8SPC made up with a Kieger barrel and laminated stock.  For the money you are spending you might as well get a true custom.   As an aside Ti is not my favorite stuff because it is even more abrasive than stainless YMMV.

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 21:27
Mike of the rifles you spec., I would go with the M7AWR (7-08). Custom Shop rifles have a good reputation for accuracy from Remington. You could spend ALOT more and  not get alot more. One of my most accurate rifles is a 700 APR in 300WM. It will shoot with anyone's custom and out shoot most I have seen.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/02/2006 at 21:43
I've held a Seven AWR and really liked it; great balance and a good feeling stock.  They only come in 6.8mm SPC, 7mm Rem SA mag, and 300 Rem SA Mag.  I had thought about getting the 7mm and loading it down to 7mm-08 ballistics.  I don't know anybody that's actually used the 6.8mm SPC.  Looks like it would be about like a 243 but with the ability to shoot heavier bullets.
Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2006 at 17:36

Hello Mwyates

I  have been thinking about these rifles for a little while and

looking over the calibers you prefer. I like your idea of the

7 AWR in 7mm rem sa mag and feel this will be the best choice.

Please let us know what you pick-up and post a pic if possible.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2006 at 13:58

Update - I've been visiting the local gunshps.  Tried a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight but it didn't suit me; Weatherby's never have.  Handles the Remington 700 Titanium it was nice, but too expensive and would have needed a new trigger or triiger job; too much money.  Nobody around here has  a Remingtin AWR, but I decided against that because I really don't want a 6.8mm or a 7mm SAUM.  I decided against the A-Bolt Mountain Ti based on cost; too much money for what's really a plain A-Bolt with titanium and a camo stock.  I talked to a couple of custom builders, but they were just too much money

The last place I went was the local Kimber Dealer.  This is my favorite shop anyway.  Clark's is the home of multi-champion pistol shooter Jim Clark (now deceased) and now Jerry Miculek, who married Clark's daughter.  I was looking at the Kimber Montanas and complaining about the slick stocks when they brought a .243 Montana out of the back.  The stock was nicely textured, and super comfortable (I love the dimensions of Kimber stocks).  They didn't know if Kimber had changed their stocks or used different stocks for different calibers (not likely).  Maybe it's something new for them.  Anyway, it grabbed me and is now at my house.

I had a VX III 2.5-8X36 here at the house I was planning on using, but since I spent a few hundred less on the rifle I just ordered a Kahles CL 2-7X36 for it.

Should be a nice set up.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2006 at 14:47

Exellent setup Mwyates. I hope you will be able to post a pic when it is done, I would

love to see it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2006 at 17:03

Good deal!!

Please post some pics when you get it set up.

Sounds very nice.....And light!

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2006 at 17:31

Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

I had thought about getting the 7mm and loading it down to 7mm-08 ballistics.

I know you are beyond this decision now but, I was curious as to your thought process here.  Why would you want to buy a 7mm SAUM only to load it down to 7mm-08 ballistics?  Wouldn't this require loading powder charges that would be inefficient burners as they would not come anywhere close to filling the case? In other words; wouldn't you have been better off just buying the 7mm-08 in the first place? 

Please do let us see your new toy when you get a chance.

Thanks.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2006 at 17:56

The rifle I was looking at then, the Rem Custom Shop AWR, only comes in 6.8mm, 7mm SAUM, and 300 SAUM, so just getting one in 7mm-08 wasn't an option.  After searching my reloading manuals, I found that the minimum listed loads were equal to, or only slightly faster than maximum 7mm-08 loads. For example, minimum 7mm SAUM loads for the Hornady 139 are 2800fps, and maximum loads for that bullet in the 7mm-08 are 2800-2900fps.  Same thing in the Nosler manual.  In a very light rifle, 400 more fps in a 139gr bullet add up to a lot of recoil, and I wanted to stay away from that, partly because of shoulder problems and partly because I just don't like it anymore   Often, minimum loads give better accuracy as well.  Half the four powders listed in the Nosler manual were most accurate at minimum loads.

So the short answer is I would load down just to reduce recoil.  The .243 was my first choice anyway.  It may not be too highly thought of anymore, but it has proved itself to me many times over on deer and big wild hogs as far as I can see to shoot them around here.  And, it's mighty pleasant doing it. 

I'll post pics as soon as SWFA gets the Kahles to me, hopefully tomorrow.  Thanks for all you guys input.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2006 at 18:00

Just got my shipping email from SWFA and the Kahles was shipped today and will be here tomorrow (I live less than 200 miles from them).  If the CL 2-7 is anything like the 3-9, it's going to be a fantastic scope.  Can't wait to set it up.

Hooray SWFA  They really are great.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2006 at 21:12

Bad news   The Kahles 2-7X36 won't fit on the Kimber 84; not enough clearance for the bolt handle

Looks like the old favorite VX III 2.5-8X36 will be it.   I can be happy with that, though.

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2006 at 21:33

Good news.  Whole rig; rifle, VX III, mounts and rings weighs 6lb 6oz

Balances like a dream.

Trinidad View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinidad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2006 at 11:27

Hello Mwyates

Great to hear that you like your setup. Which rings and bases or ringmounts

are you using for this setup?

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2006 at 12:31
Matte Leupold bases and matte low rings.  I'll try and get some pics posted tonight. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic