OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.308 AR build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2017 at 13:49
Yeah, I don't think I explained that very well.  Two turns out from the 4.5.  It made sense in my head as I wrote it.  But I can see reading it again it sounded wrong. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2017 at 13:54
Gotcha

Love the rifle.
Stamp collecting since 2015
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2017 at 14:11
I just read some more info on it.  Some people have got it out 12 turns and it still is locking bolt back.  I am going to have to tinker with it more, maybe I can go a lot more.  Also seeing some saying that it will cause a velocity decrease because of the gas bleed off.  Not sure how I feel about that.  If that ends up being true, I may just use it like a regular adjustable gas block.  Have to get the chrono out one of these days too it appears. 

I put a VXR patrol on it to try out.  Not sure yet how I want to scope it.  I am kindof wishing I would have bought the 14" rail instead of the 16".  But it is what it is now.  One thing about it, when you set off the round, you know it is putting something big down range.  Not a pipsqueak .223 round.  

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2017 at 15:45
Yeah, with my 223 SASS, I can watch the bullet impact a 400yds and tell where I'm hitting, can't do that with the 308.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2017 at 06:49

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I just read some more info on it.  Some people have got it out 12 turns and it still is locking bolt back.  I am going to have to tinker with it more, maybe I can go a lot more.  Also seeing some saying that it will cause a velocity decrease because of the gas bleed off.  Not sure how I feel about that.  If that ends up being true, I may just use it like a regular adjustable gas block.  Have to get the chrono out one of these days too it appears. 

I put a VXR patrol on it to try out.  Not sure yet how I want to scope it.  I am kindof wishing I would have bought the 14" rail instead of the 16".  But it is what it is now.  One thing about it, when you set off the round, you know it is putting something big down range.  Not a pipsqueak .223 round.  

Yes, the 16" looks "overdone"...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2017 at 09:38
Actually, I prefer the longest rail possible, helps in offhand (assuming you run your off hand as far forward as possible to drive the muzzle), and it lets you mount a bipod near the muzzle for bench work. With the can on it, it will look better.

There are several benefits to a long rail and few if any downsides.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2017 at 10:58
I just don't like the look of it...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2017 at 11:18
I'm not a huge fan of the look either, but it is easier to shoot well. If it is to be a show piece, shorten that rail and maybe put some glitter on it, or maybe unicorn and rainbow stickers. Yea, that'd look sweet!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2017 at 15:35
It isn't mine, so it doesn't really matter, but I don't believe a two inch shorter rail will have a significant impact.  Major advantage of the really long rail I see is the long sight radius for the irons. 

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 12:11
I think RC Made a good point about driving the gun. ST's rifle looks like most 3 gunners rifles do these days, as they drive their muzzles onto the target. Me on the other hand, can't break the habit of holding the forearm closer to the receiver, and would prefer the 14 inch forearm to save weight.
Looks got nothing to do with it. However some stripper dust (glitter) and unicorn stickers might change the looks of it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2017 at 13:09

You guys crack me up...

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 11:35
I like a guard short enough to leave the gas block exposed so when you're shooting without gloves you really know you're alive. (Or that you still know how to swear).
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2017 at 17:48
Everybody... I mean EVERYBODY... knows... the glitter goes on the bullets...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic