OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.308 AR build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2017 at 15:36
That one is just a .223 though.    Wink
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2017 at 15:38

MDR FDE rifle chassis
Comes in 5.56 or 7.62x51 NATO
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2017 at 15:40
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2017 at 23:23
Originally posted by nralifer nralifer wrote:

Because I like the 308 so much I want to see how well our bullets work in a semiauto platform. I would like to know what the internal length of your AR10 magazine is. I think the 150 Bulldozer and the 155 Palma Bullet would work well, but need to know what overall length to load these. I have an M1A to use to work up the powder charge.
My Armalite AR10 mags would take an overall length of 2.810. I'd be happy to help you test your semiauto loads for the 308 using my Armalite AR10T. Big Grin
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 09:51
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Because I like the 308 so much I want to see how well our bullets work in a semiauto platform. I would like to know what the internal length of your AR10 magazine is. I think the 150 Bulldozer and the 155 Palma Bullet would work well, but need to know what overall length to load these. I have an M1A to use to work up the powder charge.
My Armalite AR10 mags would take an overall length of 2.810. I'd be happy to help you test your semiauto loads for the 308 using my Armalite AR10T. Big Grin

Are you using the AR10 B magazines that are basically modified M14 magazines?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 10:25
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The "suppressed vs non-suppressed" conversation is one of apples and cheeseburgers.  Once you start shooting suppressed, you'll shun all forms of shooting rude.

On the part about 800 yards, it isn't about the 800 yard shot alone, it is about the point-blank capabilities extending out to 800 yards if needed - without moving to a different weapon.

If you consider a possible survival scenario that sees you leaving your house and covering open ground, AR15 becomes a bit less persuasive, especially if AR10 is an option.  Is the gun heavier: a bit.  Is ammo heavier per round: yes.  Does my AR10 exceed your AR15 in kill radius: yes.  And for me, that is the game-changer.  Short of that, yes, AR15 in caliber of choice will suffice.

Military and police units deploy with weapons that cover CQB to long-ish range, there is good reason for that.  I see the AR10 as having massive benefit over AR15 with only modest downside (increased weight, less common spare parts.)

All this, of course, is less important on the local gun range.  Stay off all 2-ways ranges and away from hunting and this is as inconsequential as inconsequential gets.

By all means, continue the discourse, the topic is worthy of thought.

And Koshkin sucks.

Carry on.

but, I like the tripod on that .458...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 10:38
Yea, I noticed that too.

I bet on a range in California, ILya is medium pimp'in.  I live in the free state of Texas and still have people gawk at gear.  In Cali, he is probably roughly equivalent to a Norse god of war.

Or something.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 11:24
First, to get the requisite mud slinging out of the way: Rancid Coolaid sucks.

Now that we have taken care of that...

RC, I do not think we are in that much of a disagreement.  You get the same type of handling and speed out of your AR-10 as I get out of the Grendel.  That is probably due to better training and availability of equipment that helps tame the gun: suppressor, etc.  I do not have that option, so I stick with the peppiest gun/caliber that allows me to stay reasonably quick for follow-up shots.  The rest of your argument sorta devolves to "mine is bigger than yours" and that is not terribly educational.  Leaving the house and covering open ground with an ability to shoot something at 800 yards with proper terminal effect is undoubtedly less effective with the Grendel than 308.  However, the whole 800 yards business does not excite me too much, so that is not a requirement for me even though the Grendel can be stretched out there if needed.  Depending on the bullet in questions, 6.5Grendel has about the same energy at 600 yards as 308 has at 800 yards. I can live with that.

Until The Fix gets here, the Grendel remains my "if I could only have one" gun, but I re-evaluate that regularly.

On two way ranges: I make it a point to stay away from those and routinely recommend that to others.

On hunting: Grendel works fine on most things this side of large bears and bison.  Marginal on elk, but I distinctly recall Les Baer shooting an elk with the Grendel from 400 yards or so.  Not the shot I would take, but it can be done.  Generally, for the distances I restrict myself to, Grendel works fine, but 458SOCOM is a better choice.  Or I could simply take my 280Rem boltgun and be done with it.   

I'll address the rest later.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 11:32
We agree on most things, but cannot agree on everything, how would that be interesting?

All good here, carry on.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 17:54
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Are you using the AR10 B magazines that are basically modified M14 magazines?
I am using the Gen I or As. I do have some Bs but I haven't used them.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2017 at 19:41
To wrap up:

KB, it is a 458 on a tripod, not a tripod on the 458.  The tripod is Varavon Short Baby (that is really the name) with the SSP-1 cradle from Precision Rifle Solutions.  It is not as sophisticated as Hog Saddle and the rest of the stuff PRS people use, but, then again, neither am I.  It works fine for my purposes and together with the short tripod makes for a very sturdy shooting rest that lives in my car.  It is also easy to velcro to my backpack for a field expedient shooting rest.

RC, there are plenty of well armed people in CA (all looking for a way out of here), but as far as general California population goes, I rank way above an average Norse God in terms of looking scary.  

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 00:19
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

To wrap up:

KB, it is a 458 on a tripod, not a tripod on the 458.  The tripod is Varavon Short Baby (that is really the name) with the SSP-1 cradle from Precision Rifle Solutions.  It is not as sophisticated as Hog Saddle and the rest of the stuff PRS people use, but, then again, neither am I.  It works fine for my purposes and together with the short tripod makes for a very sturdy shooting rest that lives in my car.  It is also easy to velcro to my backpack for a field expedient shooting rest.

RC, there are plenty of well armed people in CA (all looking for a way out of here), but as far as general California population goes, I rank way above an average Norse God in terms of looking scary.  

ILya

merely an identification that they were "together".  I have the same SSP-1 on the PRS medium tripod.  I also have a couple of Porta-Aim Vanguard tripods 7.5-13 inch adjustable. I like them better than bipods.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 12:23
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Here is an example of a CA-legal featureless AR (this is my 458).

Were I a Kali "subject," that right there would singularly make me move out of the state...tomorrow...with or without a job, housing, or any other plans secured.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 12:25
...And, AR10s suck!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 14:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

...And, AR10s suck!
So says the guy that says, "you always need another gun", or something like that.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 15:42
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

...And, AR10s suck!
So says the guy that says, "you always need another gun", or something like that.

Well, he did not advise you against buying one...

I think the point he is going to make is that you ned to acquire several AR-10s and AR-15s to conduct a proper evaluation. 

ILya
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 15:45
Of course we all need multiple AR's because one data point is not a trend.  Big Smile

I'm trying to convince my wife right now that I NEED a tommy gun or else life as we know it will end. 
Stamp collecting since 2015
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 16:13
I'm an enabler, so I'd never talk anyone out of buying most any projectile launcher of reasonably good quality. I just happen to like AR15s much better than 10s for a variety of reasons. Besides, given today's selection of bullets, there isn't hardly a scenario one could conjure up where a 7.62 bullet stops a beating heart yet a 6.5 bullet launched from a Grendel bounces off the same living being. I'm a bolt action guy to begin with, and ARs are not my favored platform, though I do enjoy playing with them just because variety is the spice of life.
Ted

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 16:51
I agree with that.

As far as semi-autos go, AR-15 is my platform of choice.  It did not start out that way, but it slowly won me over.

ILya 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2017 at 17:01
Originally posted by sucker76 sucker76 wrote:

Of course we all need multiple AR's because one data point is not a trend.  Big Smile

I'm trying to convince my wife right now that I NEED a tommy gun or else life as we know it will end. 

I have a 40 cal SBR upper, it is great fun. A tommy gun would be fun, why not get a 45 cal upper for an AR?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic