OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Talley + Leupold help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talley + Leupold help
    Posted: April/10/2017 at 16:12
I have an older Leupold VX-2 3-9x50 with a glossy finish.  I got new Talley rings in and was torquing down the ring tops to ~18 inch pounds.  Talley recommends 17-20 inch pounds.  After mounting, I was looking though the scope and adjusting magnification and noticed the magnification ring was almost impossible to twist.  The rings must be deforming the outer tube and interfering with the inner adjustment tube.  OK so I loosened up the rear ring and changed torque to 15 inch pounds.  Still hard to move magnification ring.  I torqued the rear ring all the way down to 10 inch pounds and the mag ring is still not as smooth as if the scope was not mounted. 
Question 1: did I damage the scope in any way?
Question 2: with 10 inch pounds on the rear ring, will the scope shift?  It is mounted on a 30-06.

Stamp collecting since 2015
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/10/2017 at 16:23
With what are you measuring torque?

If you take the scope off, are there marks on the tube?
When not in the rings, does the power move as it should?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 07:37
Leupy scopes (at least in the past) have been known to have high "twist factors" on the adjustment rings. It may require a trip back to Leupold for "adjustment". 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 13:52
TTorque set with fat wrench. No marks on scope body. When not mounted the magnification ring moves smoothly.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 14:09
Sometimes mounts/rings are not square.  This can be caused by either an out of whack receiver or out of whack mount/rings.  Then what happens is the put uneven pressure on the scope tube when you are tightening it down causing things to bind up like you are seeing. Even light torque can cause this.

Wheeler sells a scope mounting kit that has alignment bars.  You put one bar in each rings and butt up the flat sides together and it will tell you if your rings are not square.  If they are not, then you know when you tighten down those caps you are putting a bind on your scope tube. 

From there you can either lap the rings (which is a band aid fix and doesn't really fix the problem) or you can bed the mount(s) which is easy to do with epoxy on a one piece base, but is more complicated on two piece bases. But is the better way to do it.    
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 18:41
Put the scope in the ring bottoms, no ring half tops, and see if it binds or slides freely. If it slides freely, all is well. If it binds, there is an issue.

This you do with the bottom ring halves only.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/11/2017 at 20:31
Thanks guys.  I can borrow a Wheeler scope alignment too from a friend.  I didn't even think of that. 

I'll post back if that was the fix.
sucker76 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sucker76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/19/2017 at 20:27
Update:
Work got in the way of having fun but I finally got the scope alignment bars and put them on.  I just took the ring tops off and put the bars in and they weren't off by much.  Maybe a millimeter.  The scope slid freely in the ring bases too.  I did loosen the bases and align them the best I could.  I put the scope back in and tightened down to 10 in/lbs and the power ring was OK but not totally free.  I went to 15 in/lbs and There was significant drag moving past 6x.  I'm not sure what to do next.  It seems to work just fine otherwise.  Maybe getting a cat tail type lever is the answer. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic